Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Jan 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I very much agree with Thorpy. A joint vacation can make (or break) friendship or other bonds.. as we found out.

1st one.. a package with 1st Choice.. Flights and Disney all Stars. What could go wrong? Well, nothing till we got there. The rep explained on the first day that the area could be ‘iffy’ and that there was only one Cab company that she would use. She then handed out the Card of a pretty much one man band. (How considerate and kind of her and I wonder what her wedge was?). Our friends would then only use this one taxi thereafter. Even if we had to wait and hour. We fell out when it was unavailable and I moved to get us into another, yellow cab at the rank in Premium Outlets. The Husband threw a strip, refused to get into it because of the danger and made an ≈≈≈≈ of himself. We flew home and spoke very little thereafter. They are now divorced.

We travelled with a couple (no kids), just Orlando and in separate resorts, meeting up each day at a different park. They were always late, despite us having two young children and them, none. They expected us to entertain them every day. At the end of the vacation, one asserted that she didn’t like queues, it was rather hot and the parks ‘rather cheesy’. What did she honestly expect? They also would not Tip, as neither receive tips in their own jobs (Royal Navy and Snivel Serpent)and this left me having to tip more. They remain close friends and have talked of further, joint vacations... No chance.

We booked into Pensacola and out of Daytona Beach at Easter. We chatted with close friends, spoke of the flights and next day and they announced that it looked great, further that they were coming (as opposed to would like to), come with us. They had by then, booked their flights next morning. To be fair, they went with absolutely everything as we built the vacation in the months that followed.. Pensacola, USS Alabama at Mobile, Destin, Tampa, Orlando Villa, Daytona Beach. What became apparent was tension between the two of them in the mornings. Whilst Wife wanted up early and out, Husband wanted a lie in and a breakfast cooked for him (Ex senior RN Officer who ‘had a man to do it for him’). It went OK, but it was obvious that whilst Ann loved it, Gary would rather be all inclusive on a Beach in Mexico, waited on hand and foot.. just like when at Sea on Grey Funnel Lines. He also was not wild on the amount of miles driven (1250). The flights alone should have given him a clue! We remain great friends and the self invite was in every way typical of the way we are with each other. Another vacation? No chance.

We had friends with kids the same age as ours who had never been. We agreed to travel together, but book different hotels, meeting up most days. This one went rather well and we would do it again... other than the Hubby has now run off with his Secretary.

Moral.. Make sure that you all know and agree on exactly what you are going to do and as far as possible, exactly what it will cost. Write it all down and each have a copy. Appoint one to act within those parameters and without having to run it through the others beforehand. The offer might have gone before you all agree that it is a good un.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 03:51 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

As above, if going with friends, plan carefully...! I've been to Florida twice with two friends & the three of us got on like a house on fire - and still do to this day.

Based on this experience, I had a different two friends who both wanted to do Florida, so what could go wrong? They both had some common interests, were not fussy eaters etc, so we went.

Well World War 3 nearly broke out. One of them liked to pick fault with the food in any restaurant as though he was a Michelin-starred chef. It got to halfway through the holiday when it kicked off with the other friend telling Mr Michelin-star to "shut the [rude word] up - if the food is that bad, send it back, or just [rude word] eat it". They didn't speak for the rest of the holiday... which made things difficult to say the least!

Last year they both wanted to do Florida again - so I went out for 18 days and one of them joined me for the first week then flew home & the other flew out a day later for the 2nd week. This kept the peace.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jan 21, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I have nothing to add to the very sound advice given so far. My only small tip would be to choose when you want to go and agree that is when you are going (give or take the odd day). That way you have it firmly set in your mind that the holiday is happening and you can begin to draw up plans, but you don’t need to book anything until the flight prices come out. I have noticed that people who say they want to go, but don’t make a firm plan, tend to end up not going, because they can’t make a decision ( not implying that is you). I absolutely love the planning and researching and find this helps to pass the time until you can book. Finding good prices is a rewarding game, but you do have to spend some time on it. Good luck.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

To CornishFrogBoy - Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to write this all down, I really appreciate it. You have spoken a lot of sense, and I think the only thing that is making me nervous about doing it myself is thinking that due to covid everyone will be booking for 2022 and once flights are released it will go mad! I hate spending more than I need to and the quotes I have had have been much, much higher than I thought. So, I am still looking and researching and am now erring on the side of waiting! But thatnks for your tips, I have got a lot from them>
Homer'sWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by princess allie View Post
I have nothing to add to the very sound advice given so far. My only small tip would be to choose when you want to go and agree that is when you are going (give or take the odd day). That way you have it firmly set in your mind that the holiday is happening and you can begin to draw up plans, but you don’t need to book anything until the flight prices come out. I have noticed that people who say they want to go, but don’t make a firm plan, tend to end up not going, because they can’t make a decision ( not implying that is you). I absolutely love the planning and researching and find this helps to pass the time until you can book. Finding good prices is a rewarding game, but you do have to spend some time on it. Good luck.
Very sensible words. After what CornishFrogBoy wrote as well I feel more comfortable waiting. I am a very keen planner and that part I enjoy almost as much as the holiday!
Homer'sWife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

Thorpy - thank you for your words as well. It has all helped me as I think I was stuck thinking I had to take whatever I could now to make sure something is booked! I am lucky in that we are taking our son and his two sons and as long as they get there they are happy with whatever I decide!
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Homer'sWife
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
One of the biggest costs that cannot be controlled is the price of admission to the Disney parks. Current prices are £459 and we are due their annual increase this February which will put them closer to £500 or £2k for a family of 4 (with children aged 10+)

You will need to add in parking costs too if you have a car!
I know, it's shocking really! That's why we want things back to normal, can you imagine paying those prices and having to wear a mask in that heat as well!
Old 14 Jan 21, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

We just booked for September 2022 for two weeks at endless summer hotel at universal studios and flights. It cost just over 2k.

Still need to get car hire, tickets and extras.

We are quite happy with the price, with it being 21 months away.
Old 14 Jan 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
2017dream
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Emmie2016 View Post
We just booked for September 2022 for two weeks at endless summer hotel at universal studios and flights. It cost just over 2k.

Still need to get car hire, tickets and extras.

We are quite happy with the price, with it being 21 months away.
Do you mind me asking who you booked with and for how many please
2017dream is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I looked at a virgin fly drive last night for our dates in August 2022. We like to fly to Miami as like to see that part of the coast & t was £3k! Now if that was with the car we wanted/insurance I would have seriously considered booking it, but the time we upgraded the car it was £1k more... so I’m going to bide my time!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List