Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Mar 02, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
A friend of a friend has said that Discovery Cove is a must on a visit to Orlando.

After seeing Holiday last week, I am giving it serious thought as it did seem idylic, however, the major stumbling block is the cost!!

For 2 adults and 2 kids,one of which is only 6, would be a massive slice of the budget.

I have been given the old emotional plea by this friend also as my 6 year old is autistic and I have this really romantic notion that he will love it.

However, after reading all the messages on this website, I am totally aware of how many times people re-visit, so perhaps it would be better to wait until the kids are older?

Oohhh, one minute I think blow the expense, next I'm talking myself out of it!!!

Talk about indecisive!!!

Basically, is it a lot of dosh to swim with a big fish?  (or are they mammals? !&#33.

Spider .

Also aware may be too late to book any way!!! Doh!!
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 02, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
You know you will get all sorts of replies to this don't you? . I think it looks wonderful but am not bothereed about the dolphin swim bit, although DH would dearly love to do it.  We made the decision after lots of thinking that we'd leave for now as it was so expensive.  We did visit Sea World (yes, I know, no comparison) and had lots of inter action with the dolphins at feeding time, and also DH did the Dolphin Encounter at EPCOT (no good for your son as you have to over 16).

Sorry not much help there was I!!  Good luck deciding .
Old 12 Mar 02, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
spider
Imagineer

spider's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Angel

Oh dear,what have I let myself in for? !!  Will probably keep me busy then for the next couple of weeks!!

What do they do at Sea world with the dolphins then?  This sound more up our street rather than the full blown swim with them  (still not sure if I could really cope with that anyway?&#33.

Mmmm, could be in for some interesting replies!!!

Spider
spider is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Mar 02, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
ANGEL
Imagineer

ANGEL's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
At Sewaorld there is a 'nursery' pool for the young dolphins who are just being trained. We watched them for ages! Good fun.

They also have a specail pool where they have various feeding times for the dolphins.  You can buy fish to feed them with and can stroke and touch them.  They are very agreeable if you are patient, and we had an amazing hours or so with them here, they kept popping up in fornt of us to say hello and pose for us. Lovely photos.

Of course there are also Dolphin shows. .
Old 13 Mar 02, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

I would say you really should try to go to Discocery Cove unless finances  prohibits it.
I went in October and there are 5 of us and we all did the swim .  It was SO expensive I wondered how it could possibly be worth it,but it honestly was.

We are going back this October my eldest DS and me aren't bothered about doing the swim again but my youngest DS and DD loved it so much they will.My youngest has Asbergers (thats why DH will do the swim again with them).

Maybe if you plan to go back to Orlando after this trip ( and you will&#33. you could leave DC this time and plan to do it the next time?
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 02, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Bear in mind that you don't all have to do the Dolphin swim and the price of the ticket does include 7 days admission to Seaworld. My dd and I did it last year and loved it (it was her birthday present) Dh and ds decided not to come but immediately regretted it so want to go when we go back next year. Most people say their first time in Florida is a once in a lifetime holiday but then on return start planning the next, we said that in 1996 and have been back twice since and are planning for next summer already. You'll probably go back so you could leave it till then. Clear as mud. .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Mar 02, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post

spider,

We did DC in Nov. 2000... DW and DD(9) did the dolphin swim , DS has no interest whatsoever in dolphins so he and I sat it out... I video'd it.

Even now Emilia (DD) talks about it, they both absolutely loved it,and I personally think it was well worth the money for a true "once in a lifetime " experience. the rest of the day is totally brilliant too, from the stingray pool to swimming with sharks ( well, above them really!! ) to the aviary...etc. etc...

If you want I can send you a copy of the video, it'll give you a flavour of DC.

mike
Old 14 Mar 02, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Kazzie
Imagineer

As said by others, also if you 'deduct' from the cost a 3-course meal say £15 and just a one day entry to Sea World is say £35 for an adult you can 'deduct' off the price £50 for a start.That leaves about £100. A swim most places would probably cost almost that.If you say the swim would 'cost' £70 thtat leaves £30 for entry fee and to spend a day in what is like being on Paradise .

Does that sound better?!
Kazzie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Mar 02, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Sue F
Imagineer

Sue F's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
One thing to consider Spider is how well the kids can swim.  All the attractions involve swimming to some degree.  You can do the dolphin swim without swimming but the other attractions are snorkelling activities in the tropical lagoon and around the 'river'.  I know my 6 year old would not be a good enough swimmer to do these things justice so we have decided to leave taking her to DC until she is older and a stronger swimmer.

Sorry to give another completely different opinion.  Just muddying the waters aren't I?
Old 14 Mar 02, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry going to add to the confusion even more.

We went DC in 2000. It was the best day we had ever had. Dh did not do the swim and he videoed everything.

MIL came she can not swim, but everyone has to wear special floatation jackets, and there are other floatation devices.  There are life guards everywhere, when we went there were lots of young children who could not swim but had a brilliant day.

The initial cost is a lot but as kazzie says with all the things included it is reasonable.

I suppose if you have doubts financially or because of age of children it ,might be better to leave it untill your sure.

For me i would go... just loved it

Tanya
Closed Thread