Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Mar 19, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TIMBUCK2
Trying for More Ears

Using Mobile Phone in Florida

I'm currently with EE but don't have their Max plan which would allow me to use my phone abroad, or at least not cheaply.

Has anyone used the Go Roam plan offer that 3 do, where you can get a free PAYG SIM with cheap data add-ons (2GB for £10 for example)?

I'd mainly be using the phone for data only when I can't get wifi, so for sat nav apps, uber, MDE, etc. Not really planning on making calls, unless desperate.

Also am I right in thinking that I'd have to temporarily modify apps such as WhatsApp to recognise the new SIM number - does anyone have any experience of this?

TIA.
TIMBUCK2 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 19, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I bought a payg sim from three for our trip to New York. It was £15 for 5 gb. We only used 2gb as nearly everywhere had WiFi. We were glad we had it as we used it all the time for directions.
I put the sim in my daughters old iPhone 5 to save having to take a new phone.
I’m not sure about the apps I. Ant remember changing any settings

Edited at 11:28 PM.
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
colin39
Imagineer

Mobile

Payg 3 sim with all ya can eat data.
Just the ticket.
Old 8 Mar 19, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes we did this last year, and just put the sim in an old iPhone so that we didn’t have to fiddle with our regular phones. No problems at all with it

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
ally1966
Imagineer

Mobile

We are returning from Florida today. DD has a payg phone with 3. We topped up with £15 before the holiday and she’s used it without problems for the last 2 weeks.

I’m on a contract with EE, not usually Max Plan, but the week before we left the U.K. I rang them and asked to upgrade to the Max Plan. As soon as I return I will change back to my original plan. This has cost an extra £16 for a month and has also worked fine whilst we’ve been away. Either would be an option for you.
Old 8 Mar 19, 06:30 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I have a three pays sim with £65 credit if anyone is interested in making ne an offer? Message me...
Old 8 Mar 19, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
RioRio
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

You can use gps apps for navigation without using your data. Navmii USA is the one we use. Just download the app and the Florida map before you go 😊
RioRio is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Mar 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ally1966 View Post
We are returning from Florida today. DD has a payg phone with 3. We topped up with £15 before the holiday and she’s used it without problems for the last 2 weeks.

I’m on a contract with EE, not usually Max Plan, but the week before we left the U.K. I rang them and asked to upgrade to the Max Plan. As soon as I return I will change back to my original plan. This has cost an extra £16 for a month and has also worked fine whilst we’ve been away. Either would be an option for you.
Reading your post has made me feel very very silly

I'm also on EE contract (not Max Plan) and last summer, I found my only viable option to use my existing phone sim with no restrictions on my data was to pay for their "Go Further" add on.

This cost a mandatory £60 (£10 x 6 months even though i only needed it for 3 weeks). Their other USA roaming options were too limited and would have cost more over 3 weeks.

To add insult to injury they kept charging me the £10 a month beyond the 6 months and I had a palaver getting it sorted with them. I've decided to switch to 3 permanently once my current deal expires.

Sheepish that I didnt realise you could temporarily upgrade to Max Plan then downgrade after
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List