Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Dec 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I’m not getting anything for Xmas day, never mind Xmas eve.

Us two, have January sales present day instead. Lots more for your pennies.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by llamala View Post
Does anyone do table presents, my friend does one for each course, so maybe things like a scratch card, a toiletries box,some chocolates. It is all adults, its a lovely idea, but just more cost.
I do one as place settings - either variations on a pot of gold
small bowl/gift box with a few sweets or mini gifts in and a scratch card
original bowl of gold would be all gold coloured items so I tend to change it based on my colour theme though pot of gems -mutli coloured is by far the easiest
or personalised homemade crackers with a small gift & scratch card in
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I'm 34 and used to get Christmas eve presents
Old 11 Dec 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

My sister was the first person I knew who did Christmas Eve presents - she also did New Years presents as well. She said that it was only presents they would have opened on Christmas Day but she spread them over a few days.

I started doing it with my son as well and it seems to have stuck not only with me but also with his girlfriend who now does it with him and us. She thinks it’s absolutely wonderful. Her mum and dad dislike Christmas and hardly ever even decorated and they tended to be taken away at Christmas. It was a bit of a shock for her to come in to our family as we are so pro Christmas;
but after a couple of years we converted her from hating Christmas to loving it, and all our traditions, and she gets so excited x I love that - so in my opinion it doesn’t hurt really as long as it’s just things like a Christmas t shirt, some sweets etc its when people start buying expensive things for Christmas Eve i think it may become too much

Ps I do Christmas table presents if I cook Christmas dinner!

Also, my Nan had a big Santa which she put little Christmas presents in and attached numbers and you had to draw a number and then find your present - does anyone else remember them?

Edited at 10:49 AM.
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lisa12000___ View Post
My sister was the first person I knew who did Christmas Eve presents - she also did New Years presents as well. She said that it was only presents they would have opened on Christmas Day but she spread them over a few days.

I started doing it with my son as well and it seems to hate stuck not only with me but also with his girlfriend who now does it with him and us. She things it’s absolutely wonderful. Her mum and dad dislike Christmas and hardly ever even decorated and they tended to be taken away at Christmas. It was a bit of W shock for her to come in to our family as we are so pro Christmas but after a couple of years we converted her from hating Christmas to loving it and all our traditions and she gets so excited x I love that - so in my opinion it doesn’t hurt really as long as it’s just things like a Christmas t shirt, some sweets etc its when people start buying expensive things for Christmas Eve i think it may become too much

Ps I do Christmas table presents if I cook Christmas dinner!

Also my Nan had a big Santa which she put little Christmas presents in and attached numbers and you had to draw a number and then find your present - does anyone else remember them?
we had something like your nan's santa but we used to do it on boxing day !
Old 11 Dec 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
lisa12000___
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
we had something like your nan's santa but we used to do it on boxing day !
Haha yeah we did it when we went round for Christmas Dinner (all 20 odd of us and about 10 kids!) we always used to be excited for it was such a traditional part of Christmas

Edited at 10:49 AM.
lisa12000___ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
We have always done new PJ's, film and goodies on Christmas Eve and mine are 20 and 22 now.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_chick13
Very Serious Dibber

disney_chick13's Reviews
Mobile

I’m doing a family Christmas Eve box. It has a Christmas themed fleece blanket for us all to snuggle under (removed the need to buy specific family PJ’s every year!) a Special plate for Father Christmas’s mince pie and Rudolph’s carrot, the night before Christmas book, the snowman DVD, hot choc/marshmallows for all and a tin of treats.

I felt it was a good compromise on the whole idea as it will cost me very little each year as most of the things can go back in the box to be used again and again 😊
disney_chick13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
liz-paul
Very Serious Dibber

I'm not really any good with traditions so we don't do the same stuff every year! Have done Xmas eve gifts in the past with stuff for the day/evening like £1 shop craft sets, bubble bath, etc. I don't bother with Xmas eve PJs as it would cost £40+ (assuming I got cheap ones!) and no one needs them anyway! According to my youngest I ALWAYS let them open something from under the tree on Xmas eve and its ALWAYS the gift from a particular family friend and she ALWAYS gives them PJs and a selection box! I had not realised this but I guess it's sort of a tradition now

I think the issue nowadays is that it's so easy to try and do everything that other people do and get overwhelmed. So one family does Xmas eve gifts/boxes and another has an Elf and another does table presents and then people start trying to do all of it and it's too much! It doesn't need to be competitive.
liz-paul is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

We have always done a present on Christmas Eve and my eldest is 18 so its definitely not a new thing. It has always been new Christmas pj's, a book (that I would read with them when they were little) and a selection box. It really bugs me when people complain about other families doing what is traditional to them. If you don't want to do it, fine, but don't moan about others doing it because it makes you feel somehow inferior. Concentrate on your own thing and let others get on with theirs!
We don't do Christmas table presents but I do put scratch cards in the crackers. The kids have always loved it.
Im just waiting for someone to come along now and moan about me encouraging my kids to gamble...
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List