Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 28 Feb 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
It wouldn't say that the Dining discount is a great perk, yes it's nice to have but it's basically Disney trying to keep your money onsite: I can spend $80 at Frontera Cucina & save $16 (based on 20%) or I can walk 15 mins to Chevy's & spend $50 ! I'm in agreement with "they already have our money & don't need to give us anything". At $76/person/day you are basically paying more than the current UK price.
SD
I hadn't look and hadn't realised the price of the DDP now - $76 is way too much - last time i checked it was $50 something.

It wasn't in the equation this year as DD turns 10 and will at most TS have a kids meal or we will share a larger adult meal.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LISAM
Imagineer

I feel that we're definitely getting more perks the last couple of years. The members lounge is nice and I've used it a few times. I've also done the DVC moonlight magic, the 4th July desserts party , the DVC fireworks cruise and the DVC fishing competition. Yes we paid for the last 3 but they were cheaper than general equivalents and the cruise and fishing were very intimate with only our own family. Decent food and merch discounts too.
Old 28 Feb 18, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
dvc
Imagineer

dvc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Agreed!
dvc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Lisa I'm sceptical enough to think that the Lounge goes as soon as they decide what they are doing with the rest of the pavilion!
A wee DDP discount wouldn't go amiss, I actually wonder what the uptake is without the free dining offer ?
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

We should remember what perks are. The Moonlight Magic and Lounge are solely paid for by DVD, nothing to do with DVC in terms of provision nor paid for by DVC. DVD is the developer, and it's basically advertising to sell more new timeshare.

The member's lounge space was an unused area (was once a sponsors' lounge). They are likely redeveloping the area, and it will be then probably demolished or repurposed. In the interim, DVD appear to have thought for the cost they could acquire it for (wouldn't surprise me if it's a peppercorn rent from Disney Parks), it could be a good 'perk' to market new timeshare. They revamped it, but wouldn't go to the expense of installing bathrooms. It's then extended on a year by year basis until Disney Parks decide what to do. A big group of executives were seen touring the area only a few weeks ago.

This is why I agree when they decide what they are doing it could go. This may even be the last year.

Will they then open another? I would suggest only if they have a spare building at minimal conversion cost and low rent.

Moonlight Magic is by Ken Potrock's own admission a great way to sell more timeshare. Either by showing prospective buyers the perk in advertising and tours, or better still, non DVC owners attending the event as guests of DVC owners and seeing what they too could get if they joined.

Discounts are again to sell more timeshare, and also may in themselves encourage more spending on merch and food and make Disney more money as regular visitors are less likely to spend as much.

The special events, experiences etc again are used for marketing new timeshares. They are also charged for, at a very high rate. Win/ win for DVD and their partners, they make money from these but also use them as 'exclusive' events and experiences to market new timeshare.

Which brings us back to a free dining plan. This would be an enormous cost to DVD. Yes I'm sure it will sell more timeshare but it would be costing them up to $75 per person per day, staying on resort (thousands of DVC owners) in lost revenue. Of course only a small amount of DVC owners get the dining plan, so let's say on average $50 a day in lost revenue on food and beverage, per person.

It would cost so much, that they'd never see a benefit above cost I'd suggest.

DVD/ Disney has no interest in being a charity and giving things to DVC owners because they like us. In fact we are the last group it needs to give anything to, as we are coming back anyway as we must use our points. The only reason you get any perk is because it has more new timeshare to sell or the perk increases revenue.

So when thinking of perks, think will this perk I wish for sell DVD more timeshare or make Disney more money? If no, it will likely never happen.
Old 6 Mar 18, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Another driver for perks is the zero cost perk. This has just happened with the ability to book cruises a day before they go on general sale. That will look quite good to sell more timeshare and it costs DVD... Nowt.
Old 6 Mar 18, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Lisa I'm sceptical enough to think that the Lounge goes as soon as they decide what they are doing with the rest of the pavilion!
A wee DDP discount wouldn't go amiss, I actually wonder what the uptake is without the free dining offer ?
SD
A poll was gone on a well known DVC Facebook page. From memory about 600 replied and it was under 25%. I'm surprised they haven't offered this yet. I suspect it will make them more money by greater take up (margins are huge) and also be a brilliant perk to sell more new timeshare - you get a discount on the DDP!
I keep expecting it to be announced and wonder why not-I'm sure they've considered it. I can only assume they've modelled it and for some reason it doesn't work.
One thing I've thought of is at any one time they'll have thousands of DVC members who've booked and paid for it for future trips, and would have to issue partial refunds. Hit to revenue, accounting variations and logistics.
Old 8 Mar 18, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
ginnyfish
Getting Excited

I think as well YorkshireT a discount on the DDP highlights the fact that it’s not free. Some people thinking of buying might not have factored that in to the math, if they normally book free dinning. So offering discounted dinning, might be more of a put off, rather than a benifit. If free Dining ever goes away, I can see this being offered.