Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 21 Aug 16, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

No Trolling: A Norwegian Saga Day 6 - Bergen

Day 6 - Friday 3rd June 2016

Lazy morning
This morning we’d arrived in Bergen and as we had no excursions planned we allowed ourselves a lie in, not waking until 9:30. “9:30? That’s practically lunchtime!” I hear the Dibb cry… But don’t worry Dibbers, we still manage to fit not three but FOUR meals in today! Oh yes, our cruise stomachs had well and truly kicked in by now

Once awake I pooped up on deck… Sorry that’s a (bad) cruise joke… I popped up on deck for the obligatory deck 9 coffee. Back in the room I caught up on my note writing - not as detailed as they should’ve been to be honest with you, must do better next time!

Eventually Isabella woke up and as I opened the curtain I was greeted by the smiling face of a Disney Cruise maintenance man cleaning the porthole window! Okay, that sounds a bit creepy and isn’t QUITE what happened. There was a man outside but I think we could only see his legs. Anyway, it was still somewhat of a surprise and the curtains were rather promptly closed again!

Our visitors!

Now that Isabella was up we could go and eat, we got dressed quickly and headed to, surprise surprise, Cabanas! We ate at our leisure, we were having a really nice lazy morning, and then once we finished we had a little wander on deck 10 soaking up the sunshine and the amazing views of Bergen.

Deck 10 sunshine

Bergen

Eventually we made our way back to the room to get our stuff together and finally venture of the boat. Back at the room we found yet more gifts in our Fish Extender - we didn’t think there were any more to come, it really was the gift that kept on giving!

More gifts

Edited at 06:18 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Afternoon FUN-icular
It was about 11:00 when we finally dragged ourselves off of the boat. It was a beautiful, hot and sunny day. We made the short walk from the port towards the city centre, Isabella was in charge of the map so there was no danger of us getting lost…

Jo's new sunglasses weren't a success...

Ah, that's better

Which way is the city centre?

Our ultimate destination was Fløibanen, the funicular which runs up Fløyen, one of the city mountains, and one of its most popular tourist attractions. To get there we walked through Bryggen, the old city wharf, former centre of the Hanseatic League and UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was very picturesque and reminded us of the exit area of Maelstrom (RIP) in the Norway Pavilion at Epcot.

Bryggen

Checking we're going in the right direction

Best buds

Continuing our leisurely theme, we took our time and strolled through the city admiring the sights and enjoying the weather, it really was a beautiful day and a beautiful city. It took about 45 minutes to walk from the boat to the funicular station and once there, we joined the short queue, bought our tickets and were on board and heading up the mountain in no time.

Yes, it is a McDonald's!

Fløibanen funicular station

Keeping us on track

Mind the gap

Excited

We alighted at Fløyen station at the top of the mountain – Fløyfjellet – 320 metres above sea level. We headed out onto Fløytrappene – the viewing platform – to take in the breathtaking views over Bergen. We could see the entire city laid out before us, including the cruise port and the Disney Magic.

View from the funicular

View from the top of another mountain

Mountaintop selfie

Fløyfjellet is more than just a viewing platform so we went for a wander to explore. We found the Fløien Folkerestaurant where we bought a Cornetto style ice cream each and a couple of bottles of water and sat down to relax for a few minutes.

We’d also noticed there was a troll-themed kids playground just beyond the restaurant so we headed there to let Isabella have a play for 20 minutes or so, before we made our way back to the boat - Cabanas’ lunch buffet was calling. We made our way back down the mountain via the funicular then made the walk back to the Magic, a little less leisurely this time - we were hungry!

Outside the Fløien Folkerestaurant

Fun in the troll themed park

Isabella led us back to the boat

On the way back through Bryggen Isabella stopped off at a shop to spend the last of her Krone on a Norway wristband, no prizes for guessing the colour…. yep, it was pink!

Once back on board we headed up to Cabanas for another delicious buffet lunch. Two hours walking in the sunshine and going up mountains really builds up an appetite

After lunch we all got changed into our swimming gear and went to spend some time by the pool, or in Isabella’s case in the pool. We stayed poolside for about an hour or so, enough time for the following to occur: cocktails, ripped shorts, cocktails, fun, cocktails, tired 4 year old… yes, despite a lie in and a fairly easy morning Isabella was tired. This resulted in the following episode when it was time to leave:

As we got ready to leave the pool area we realised Isabella didn’t have her sunglasses. We sent her back to the pool to get them where a little girl gave them to her. She then came back but didn’t have them again. Jo took her back to help her find them. She found them again, but instead of bringing them back she dropped them into the pool. After we’d made her get them again and started to dry her off she began making her fuss. We threatened that she wouldn’t be allowed to come back to the pool ever again, and this calmed her down.

Poolside cocktails

It was obvious she was in need of a nap so we headed back to the room asap; this didn’t bode well for tonight’s after dinner activities – the Cinderella Twice Charmed show and the Frozen deck party.

Back at the room, Jo put Isabella down for her nap and then had a shower while I went back out to get coffee. I wrote up my notes, had a shower and then Isabella was awake and it was time to get ready for the evening’s activities.

Edited at 06:33 PM.
Stewboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 16, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Eating the Night Away
First things first: characters. We headed down to the atrium with the intention of meeting Mickey; Isabella was yet to get the main mouse’s autograph. As we’d gotten there early Daisy Duck was still out and about so Isabella met her first. As it was Frozen night there was some Frozen themed stuff going on in the atrium involving children and a maypole.

We watched for a bit while waiting for Mickey to appear. Once Daisy was done Jo joined the queue for Mickey while Isabella and I carried on watching the ‘show’. Eventually the kids, who’d been waiting patiently for about 20 minutes while some CMs did something ‘funny’, got to dance around the maypole. Other kids were invited to join in but Isabella wasn’t in the mood, however she did sing along to whatever the song was (I can’t remember and didn’t make a note of it - bad trip report writer!)

Mickey was out now so we joined Jo in the queue and it was soon Isabella’s turn. She got her autograph and a photo and, as we still had time to kill before dinner, we went off to finish the Frozen scavenger hunt. One of the clues had been replicated from the other day which confused us and we couldn’t find the answer, but we’re convinced that everyone gets the prize whether they got the right answers or not so we weren’t too concerned.

Meeting Daisy

Dunno

Enjoying the maypole show

Meeting Mickey

It was now time for dinner, which coincided with the ship sailing away from Bergen. Our table in Lumiere’s was next to a porthole so we got some great views while we ate. Tonight’s menu was ‘Freezing the Night Away’ and we ordered the following:
  • Me: Elsa’s Coronation Scallops / Portobello Mushroom Consommé / Hans’s Juniper Wild Boar Filet / Oaken Warm Apple Pudding Cake
  • Jo: Duke of Weselton’s Favorites / Oaken’s Red and Yellow Beetroot Salad / Hans’s Juniper Wild Boar Filet / Oaken Warm Apple Pudding Cake
  • Isabella: Mac and Cheese / Mickey’s Premium Ice Cream Bar

Sailing away

Duke of Weselton’s Favorites

Elsa’s Coronation Scallops

Oaken’s Red and Yellow Beetroot Salad

Portobello Mushroom Consommé

Hans’s Juniper Wild Boar Filet

Oaken Warm Apple Pudding Cake

As usual, once dinner was over the girls headed off to the kids club and Jo and I headed back to the room for a glass of wine. It was only about 45 minutes later when we collected Isabella from the club and made our way down to the Walt Disney Theatre for Twice Charmed.

Once again we loved this show, and what we hadn’t realised at the time was that this was a ‘soft’ launch of a new and improved version of the show with some new songs, costumes and scenes. Isabella thoroughly enjoyed it too and sang and clapped along, in between mouthfuls of popcorn of course

Sunset

Excited

Want one?

The show ended and despite the Frozen deck party that was still to come it was obvious Isabella had had enough and wanted to go to sleep. I can’t say I was disappointed about not going to the party, it had been thoroughly underwhelming last year, so we went back to the room, gave Isabella a bath and put her to bed. Jo and I ordered ourselves a late night snack from room service; Pepperoni Pizza for me and a Cheeseburger for Jo - more ‘Eating the Night Away’ than ‘Freezing the Night Away’!

We then went to bed and watched half of 10 Cloverfield Lane on the iPad before eventually going to sleep.

Tomorrow we’re all at sea as we head for home.

TFR

Towel flower?

Day 6

Edited at 06:00 PM.
Old 21 Aug 16, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks again for sharing and you can't beat a bit of sun around the pool with cocktails
Old 21 Aug 16, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

It's amazing when you have kids how excited you are to find a playground aka as five mins rest for mum and dad!
Old 21 Aug 16, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Am loving your report - Ive read them all but haven't commented on them all.

We are off to the fjords two weeks today - not Disney though and it great to see what were in for when we arrive!

Katie x x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 16, 12:14 AM  
Link to this Post
bambikate
VIP Dibber

bambikate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 25
Bergen looked lovely and the playground looked fun Looked like a great day, a very relaxing time by the pool and Lumiere food looked so good (and a great view!) x

IG: _disneykate_
YouTube: DisneyKate
bambikate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Dogwalker
VIP Dibber

Bergen is so pretty
I am dreaming of getting back to cabanas reading your TRs!
Dogwalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 16, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Stewboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kevbrydon View Post
Thanks again for sharing and you can't beat a bit of sun around the pool with cocktails
Thanks for reading

Originally Posted by ely3857 View Post
It's amazing when you have kids how excited you are to find a playground aka as five mins rest for mum and dad!
Haha! Yeah, absolutely

TFR

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Am loving your report - Ive read them all but haven't commented on them all.

We are off to the fjords two weeks today - not Disney though and it great to see what were in for when we arrive!

Katie x x
The fjords are beautiful, you'll love it even though you won't be on a Disney boat.

Thank you for reading.

Originally Posted by bambikate View Post
Bergen looked lovely and the playground looked fun Looked like a great day, a very relaxing time by the pool and Lumiere food looked so good (and a great view!) x
Bergen was very pretty and we didn't really be much of to to be honest - although I suppose in a way we saw it all!

TFR

Originally Posted by Dogwalker View Post
Bergen is so pretty
I am dreaming of getting back to cabanas reading your TRs!
Ah yes, Cabanas

TFR!
Old 7 Sep 16, 08:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Redrach1903
Disney Dreaming :)

Redrach1903's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Another great day! All the food pics are making me SO hungry!

Bergen looks lovely!

x
Redrach1903 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List