Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 23 Nov 17, 11:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Iphone 5c won't turn on

Can anyone help please

My DD's iphone 5c won't turn on. We could get the apple logo but nothing more.

We connected to itunes and followed apple's instructions to update the phone. We tried several times but got various error messages (itunes did find the serial number) - we did reboot the imac and checked that itunes was the latest version.

We then tried a factory restore. Again various errors. Several times we have got to the white page with press home button but each time the unlock sim message has come up. We tried pressing the home button anyway to no avail! We have clicked to unlock the sim card that but only managed to get the first number in before it closes down on us. The last time it changed to the message of locked sim in capitals.

Now the apple image is flashing on and off!

Any ideas! The phone is still under guarantee (just) but I am not holding my breath...

Thanks

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg

Edited at 11:29 PM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Usually if it won't come on after being hooked up to a laptop/itunes its dead...

I don't know if Apple will swap it as they stopped making the 5C ages ago.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks Daytonababe! We bought it as reconditioned from one of the discount electronic shops here. It has a one year guarantee that runs out in 2 weeks! I fear it is dead too (hardware failure it would seem! ).

My one concern is that we can't wipe it if it goes for a "repair" - though there is no credit card attached but it does have the same apple account as her ipad. Would it be worth changing her password on the ipad before taking it back?

I hate technology sometimes!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Not sure about the security issue. If it’s totally broken and ‘dead’ as others have suggested would anyone be able to access information? I’m not sure how these things work. 🤔 But what luck you’ve had with the timing! Things like that usually happen to me two weeks AFTER the warranty finishes!😅
Hope it gets sorted. (My DS would be unbearable without his! In fact it happened to him and we managed to get him a new iPhone as part of a family package for not much more than what we were paying for his pay as you go every month.)
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
foxtrot
Proud to wear my Ears

take the sim card out then try to reboot it
foxtrot is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

If you have a 1 year warranty and proof of when you bought the phone, you should return it to the shop. They should fix it for you free of charge. If you have any problems, tell them you will be getting in touch with trading standards. If this doesn't work, contact trading standards. If you paid for the phone with a credit card, you could claim back from the credit card issuers as the phone isn't fit for purpose.

But act quickly as once it is out of warranty it will be difficult to claim.

Edited at 09:52 AM.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Thanks everyone! We have tried everything - at one stage we got as far as logging into her apple account to the back up page and then - it either coses down (if we try via icloud) or we get error 9 (if we try via itunes). The phone will only go to the apple symbol if we hard boot it - just pressing the face button has no effect!

Off to the retailer tomorrow - unfortunately we are in France and trust me getting anything will be a victory! Trading Standards is an unknown thing here! Thankfully I have the receipt and the guarantee (DH has his pluses - filing being one of his strong points &#128540

Thank you all! Will let you know how I get on (this may be my chance to upgrade my iphone 6 )

Index of my trip reports
Old 24 Nov 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

You should be able to delete it through your iCloud account.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Nov 17, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I went to the shop - and as expected they want you to jump through hoops! If the phone isn't wiped and the gps disabled then it is an automatic 60€ charge. And it wasn't them who deal with it - via a website!

We hooked the phone up and delted it from icloud but the gps could only be disabled if the phone was connected to the internet - and even plugged in the imac couldn't find it to delete it!

We decided to see what we could get otherwise as a phone!

Well, I have ended up with a new iphone 7! In a very strange deal. For €140 euros less than having just the phone, I got an iwatch 1 and the iphone 7. I already have an iwatch2 and DH doesn't have an iphone so i think we will just try to sell it!

And DD gets my iphone6! So win win all round!

A last question, should I back up my iphone6 onto the mac before wiping it? I can't do anything until Wednesday when my old operator gives the number over to the new one or will just putting in my apple address be enough for my photos to get back onto the new phone?

Thanks for all your help!

Index of my trip reports