Notices

Old 25 Dec 17, 04:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 2 Del Mar To Twenty Nine Palms

While some of the family virtually slept through from 8pm to 8am (yes - I'm looking at you O!) the girls had a rougher night and were champing at the bit by 7 am to have breakfast.

As both boys were still asleep, we went down to have breakfast as soon as we could (7am).

It was the usual type of spread - bagels, cereals and make your own waffles. I had my usual cinnamon bagel and copious amounts of coffee!

F made herself waffles!

We were both starving so were happy to have it!

The boys were stirring when we got back. They went down to feed themselves. When they got back, we decided we would drive along the coast road to Del Mar where we were meeting David and his son. David is J's oldest friend who he hadn't seen for 23 years.

We stopped to take in the view. Such nice weather for Christmas Eve!

Lots of surfers which bodes well for our week in San Diego!

We took a short detour to Mary's Tackshop - F declared it one of the best horse shops she has been to. Thankfully we escaped with our wallets intact!

We met at a coffee shop and had a lovely few hours catching up over coffee and orange juice.

F was very happy as they were dog sitting Ace. He was a mini husky with a very calm temperament.

After grabbing some pizza we waked along the beach at Del Mar and chatted away.

We parted company at about 2.30pm. We began the drive to 29 Palms.

We saw these aircraft refuelling planes which interested J!

As the sun set there were some glorious views.

We stopped and had a loo visit and picked up some muffins and cookies!

It took about 2 1/2 hours to do the journey.

We are staying at the Fairfield Inn and Suites for three nights. First impressions are good - except the wifi is hideously slow!

We decided on Denny's for tea - quick if nothing else. Three of us had make your own breakfasts which had eggs, toast, hash browns and...

two wheat pancakes. Even O couldn't finish it all. J had a veggie omelette. It came to $54 including tip.

We came back to the hotel and will no doubt be asleep before 9!

A lovely first day! Tomorrow - Christmas Day and Joshua Tree!

Edited at 05:33 AM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Dec 17, 05:26 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 25 Dec 17 4:26 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 17, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great day. Loved the Fairfield.
Old 26 Dec 17, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Cinnamon bagels yay-I actually thought of you this morning as I had my raisin & cinnamon breakfast bagel! Sounds like a great day with some beautiful views and a very cute husky.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Great day. Loved the Fairfield.
It has been a great place to stay! Clean, big rooms and lovely staff!

Though we swear that the carpet and wall combination in the corridors is made to disorientate you

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Cinnamon bagels yay-I actually thought of you this morning as I had my raisin & cinnamon breakfast bagel! Sounds like a great day with some beautiful views and a very cute husky.
Too funny! I can't get cinnamon bagels in France (they have just started with normal ones! ) so it is a big treat!

F is hoping David can dognap Ace again next week for some more walks!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 17, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Though we swear that the carpet and wall combination in the corridors is made to disorientate you

Can’t remember it. I’ll keep my eyes open if we revisit.
Old 27 Dec 17, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A lovely, relaxed Christmas Eve, compared to the running around we were doing delivering presents, making sure parents and kids all knew what we were doing on Christmas Day!
Old 27 Dec 17, 03:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post

Can’t remember it. I’ll keep my eyes open if we revisit.
Do - we never know which way to turn out of the room!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A lovely, relaxed Christmas Eve, compared to the running around we were doing delivering presents, making sure parents and kids all knew what we were doing on Christmas Day!
We haven’t done that for a while! The kids did comment it didn’t feel very christmassy but to be honest this year I haven’t felt very christmassy!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 27 Dec 17, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Ah what a great way to spend Christmas Eve. Lovely pics too
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

lovely first day - and love that you had breakfast at tea time !
Looks fab out there
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List