Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 Feb 18, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondi
Trading Disney Pins

Newbie needing help with Universal

Hi All - Newbie to The Dibb here looking for a bit of advice - apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I have booked to go to Florida this October for two weeks staying on site at Disney. It is my second trip - the first was 8 years ago staying offsite and to be honest I feel like a complete novice and slightly overwhelmed with all the planning!

I am just wondering how many days people allow for Universal and IofA? We only did Universal last time and a lot of the time rides were closed so we weren't even there a full day. I am a mad Harry Potter fan and so am wondering if a day in each is enough or whether I should allow say a day and a half in each?

Would appreciate any advice.
Bondi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

It’s such a difficult question to answer!

However, if you book a night at one of the three Universal hotels (Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort or Portifino Bay) that offer guests ‘front of the line’ access passes with the booking you could do the two parks in two days.

The overnight stay would give you unlimited front of the line access on both check-in and check-out days and includes early entry to Harry Potter (usually the IOA side).
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
redspottyowl
Imagineer

redspottyowl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
If it was me, I would book a night in one of the premium universal hotels so you get front of the line passes included for the day you check in and the day you check out, with this you could do it on 2 days and get on lots of rides, including accessing early park entry for onsite guests

These things are fun..and fun is good NYC/Orlando May/June 15 Pretrippy
Adults are only kids grown up pretrippy Oct/Nov 2013
A Bargain Hunters Pre-trip report Nov 2011
NOV 2011 - Villa offsite 'bargain hunters'
OCT/NOV 2013 - OLD KEY WEST Disney trip - DDP
OCT/NOV 2018 - Disney pixie dust Yacht Club stay
AUG 2022 - Cabana Bay -teen choice
redspottyowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Mobile

When I've done one week trips in the past I've typically done one full day (rope drop to close) for both universal and ioa with express pass. But this is incredibly rushed and means less time to stop and smell the roses (and I guess to explore the Harry potter area).

But I think I'd be happy with two days in universal and ioa so that would give more time to explore.

Couple of things to consider
- if more than one of you, look into possibly staying at one of the universal hotels (RPR HRH portofino) that provide the unlimited express pass included with the stay - that means you could do one night's stay, which gives you two days of unlimited express.
- you could look at getting a several day pass for universal (I think the UK ticket is 7 days? Sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
- if you only get a one day pass to begin with, I think you can upgrade it at any time before it expires to a multi day ticket or annual pass (please double check this though!), so if you felt that you haven't had enough you can upgrade number of days
- be willing to be flexible maybe - if you're there for two weeks, you could also do universal towards the start, then go back later on (provided ticket valid) for more!
Old 14 Feb 18, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Really depends on how busy they are, of the 2 US is the hardest to get done when busy. We love Universal but are finding it harder to justify the outlay for what is effectively 1 or 2 days. You need a park to park pass if you want to do the Hogwart's express. If I had to choose just one it would Diagon Alley, it's not that Hogwart's isn't good, it's just very cramped & you really feel it when it's busy- Diagon is visually stunning!
A lot of people, & we have done it, book one night at either RPR,HRH or PB to gain 2 days worth of FOTL(generally cheaper than buying 2 days worth of EPs)- with FOTL you will get both parks done no trouble.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Bondi View Post
I am just wondering how many days people allow for Universal and IofA?
We usually allow 3 days in total to do the two parks. One day at Universal Studios, one day at IoA and then one day hopping between the two doing anything we missed or re-riding our favourite rides.

Last time we visited we stayed at a Universal hotel and did everything in 2 days. However, because we stayed onsite, we had the unlimited Express Passes so could skip the normal queues.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Bondi
Trading Disney Pins

Thank you so much for all the advice. We actually have an unlimited ticket (as these came as a bundle with the Disney ones) so luckily I'm not limited to just a couple of days.

I am just trying to put together a basic itinerary and trying to fit in enough time for both Disney and Universal and was wondering whether to just pencil in two for now with a possible return in the second week or to add more now. I had considered getting the express passes for us for one day and then plan to go on all the rides I really want to do then but am not sure this is feasible.
Bondi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Definitely book one night in one of the hotels. You can check in early, get to the gate for early entry, and have front of line passes for both days included. It can work out cheaper than buying express passes.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss AliJS
VIP Dibber

As others have said, buying the express passes even for jus one day is very expensive. You would probably find a hotel room was cheaper- and much more fun!
OCT 2018- Emerald Island/HRH
OCT 2019- Back to Windsor Hills/Portofino Bay
OCT 2020 and 2021- Not to be
APRIL 2022- New York
JUNE 2022- Rosen Inn LBV/RPR
APRIL 2023- Emerald Island/Endless Summer
OCT 2024- Emerald Island/RPR
Miss AliJS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Bondi View Post
Thank you so much for all the advice. We actually have an unlimited ticket (as these came as a bundle with the Disney ones) so luckily I'm not limited to just a couple of days.

I am just trying to put together a basic itinerary and trying to fit in enough time for both Disney and Universal and was wondering whether to just pencil in two for now with a possible return in the second week or to add more now. I had considered getting the express passes for us for one day and then plan to go on all the rides I really want to do then but am not sure this is feasible.
If you have 3 days (or more) spare to visit the Universal parks then Express Passes are not really necessary. However Express Passes are extremely handy if you are trying to fit everything into just 1 or 2 days. As mentioned above, if you do decide to go the Express Pass route then consider a night in one of the deluxe Universal hotels instead - you'll get unlimited Express passes for 2 days (check-in and check-out days) and it can sometimes be cheaper than buying the Express passes on their own.

Personally, if you have the time, I'd pencil in 3 days. If you manage to do everything in 2 days then you can always swap the third day for something else.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List