Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 6 Feb 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
huggybearv1
Proud to wear my Ears

Car Hire

Hey all ..

I have been reading horror stories from customers who have hired cars from Dollar and have been stung for almost $50 per week for Sunpass toll charges when they go to pick up their rental.

Some have declined buying the cover (for $50 per week) and subsequently been charged 70 cents for the toll and $15 admin fee. I have been told most toll booths now are cashless and require a sunpass.

What options do UK renters have to avoid being stung? Can we buy PAYG passes? Do they still have attendants on the toll booths on the Florida turnpike?

Any help appreciated ..

So confused ...

Huggy
huggybearv1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

First of all, if you're worried about toll charges, don't rent with Dollar.

Most tolls are cashless if you wander aroung the Miami area (which you will, judging you talk about turnpike)

your only option with dollar is to pay the $52.49 per week fee, which includes all the tolls you can go through
and you'll need to opt in at the desk
if you don't, there come the heavy fees ...
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 04:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don't know who told you that most of the toll plazas around Orlando are cashless - just not true.

At every plaza on the main carriageways you get the option to use the Sunpass lane or pay cash. Like this one.

However most of the plazas on the off ramps are unmanned so if you are paying cash you need to have the right change. Like this.

There are some cashless tolls on the Turnpike near Miami and downtown Tampa.

Can't comment on Dollar except that it's probably the most expensive of all the toll pass schemes.

Mick
Old 6 Feb 18, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
huggybearv1
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the quick replies ...

I start and end my holiday in Miami and no doubt i will be travelling in tolled sections. I've never had issues in Orlando so paying $52 per week when most of the 3 weeks im going to be in Orlando seems wasted money!

Is there such a thing as a PAYG Sunpass (which i have read about on older forum posts) which is a credit card sized thing we stick to the windscreen and top it up?

Huggy
huggybearv1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by huggybearv1 View Post

I start and end my holiday in Miami and no doubt i will be travelling in tolled sections. I've never had issues in Orlando so paying $52 per week when most of the 3 weeks im going to be in Orlando seems wasted money!

Is there such a thing as a PAYG Sunpass (which i have read about on older forum posts) which is a credit card sized thing we stick to the windscreen and top it up?

Huggy
You can get to Orlando from the Miami area toll free using the US27.

Can't help on the PAYG pass I'm afraid. The Sunpass is automatically enabled as you drive through a Sunpass lane by taking a photo of your plate. Your CC is then charged.

Mick
Old 6 Feb 18, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

you can buy a sunpass transponder, but it's quite a pain

sunpass/purchase

and, if the toll does not register, you'll get a violation and be charged the Dollar fees anyway.

Can't you cancel and rebook with another hire company ? Maybe you'll find decent rates ? just give it a shot, it will be less faffing around than getting a sunpass transponder.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
billbarbara229
Imagineer

Originally Posted by huggybearv1 View Post

Huggy
We use hwy27 instead of the toll roads just as quick and no juggernauts after I 4
Publix do a pass you can buy and load We always use dollar and never have any trouble just tell them your not using tolls and make sure anything in the car is switched off
billbarbara229 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
huggybearv1
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
you can buy a sunpass transponder, but it's quite a pain

sunpass/purchase

and, if the toll does not register, you'll get a violation and be charged the Dollar fees anyway.

Can't you cancel and rebook with another hire company ? Maybe you'll find decent rates ? just give it a shot, it will be less faffing around than getting a sunpass transponder.
I did think of this .. however the cost of rehiring with someone else almost three times as much now!

I may use the non toll roads until I can get a prepaid card like the other dibber on this post suggested...
Old 6 Feb 18, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
This will help you.

sunpass/purchase

One for you to consider but a right royal pain to set up an account, register the vehicle, ensure you have pre loaded enough monies etc etc.

Get 1 toll wrong and you are better off paying Dollar.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 06:02 AM  
Link to this Post
huggybearv1
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks guys ...

Easiest will be paying Dollar .. I guess i'll sell my other kidney to pay for that ... lol

Huggy