Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Feb 18, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by huggybearv1 View Post
Thanks guys ...

Easiest will be paying Dollar .. I guess i'll sell my other kidney to pay for that ... lol

Huggy
Huggy - click HERE to see Google map options avoiding tolls. When using manned, cash lanes around Orlando request a receipt and keep them for 4 month or so, along with your $0 to pay sign off sheet when you return the motor. No receipts at unmanned tolls, hoy your money in and watch for the light to turn green acknowledging you've paid the correct amount
Old 7 Feb 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post

I have the same problem. Have a reservation with Dollar but arriving and leaving from Miami. I did research the option of buying the Sunpass transponder but you need to set up things in advance and do it at least 1 day prior to using any toll roads. Not practical for us as we intend to leave Miami immediately after we pick up the car and there is just simple no time for us to do it.(unless you can buy it at the airport)

I thought about avoiding toll roads (we are not in a hurry anyway) but in my own experience with previous trips I know I will somehow get lost and end up on a toll road (that is just me, even with a navigator I will always get lost especially around Miami area) That happened with Alamo last time so I only had an extra cost of 3.95 plus the toll cost so not a big deal but with Dollar it is much more expensive.

So after considering the various options, I have decided just to opt for the Dollar toll scheme but we are only needing the car for 1 week this time so it is not too bad in our case. For a longer rental, I think the transponder is a better choice. I am even considering just buy it this time and keep it for use the next time we travel to Miami.

I will also keep checking prices to see if Alamo will go down with their prices but it is not looking good at the moment.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChipnDale88 View Post
I have the same problem. Have a reservation with Dollar but arriving and leaving from Miami. I did research the option of buying the Sunpass transponder but you need to set up things in advance and do it at least 1 day prior to using any toll roads. Not practical for us as we intend to leave Miami immediately after we pick up the car and there is just simple no time for us to do it.(unless you can buy it at the airport)

I thought about avoiding toll roads (we are not in a hurry anyway) but in my own experience with previous trips I know I will somehow get lost and end up on a toll road (that is just me, even with a navigator I will always get lost especially around Miami area) That happened with Alamo last time so I only had an extra cost of 3.95 plus the toll cost so not a big deal but with Dollar it is much more expensive.

So after considering the various options, I have decided just to opt for the Dollar toll scheme but we are only needing the car for 1 week this time so it is not too bad in our case. For a longer rental, I think the transponder is a better choice. I am even considering just buy it this time and keep it for use the next time we travel to Miami.

I will also keep checking prices to see if Alamo will go down with their prices but it is not looking good at the moment.
Hiya... if your intention is a straight from/to Miami you don't need the Sunpass, the unmanned Miami tolls are easily avoided, even if driving around Miami itself. Did you see the Google map link I posted above for routes avoiding Miami unmanned tolls?
Old 7 Feb 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
huggybearv1
Proud to wear my Ears

Yes i did .. thank you for that .. I just have a feeling if i dont get the pass i will somehow end up using a toll and getting fined ..I'm in Miami for a week, 2 weeks in Orlando and then 2 days back in Miami .. so the pass will be used everywhere ... I'm assuming the pass will cover me when travelling on the Florida Turnpike going up to and back from Orlando?

Its still a bit of a con but for the peace of mind and less faffing around, i might get the pass!

Huggy
huggybearv1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Now I am confused,booked dollar(no choice by far cheapest price) through netflights in August,so are you guys saying it’s COMPULSORY to purchase this toll pass or not?, only going to Orlando and usual places within,paging tom morrow ,no doubt, thanks, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

It is not compulsory. Opt out at the desk, and pay cash as you go through the tolls. Much cheaper than paying Alamo $20 for nothing.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by BONDY LAD View Post
Now I am confused,booked dollar(no choice by far cheapest price) through netflights in August,so are you guys saying it’s COMPULSORY to purchase this toll pass or not?, only going to Orlando and usual places within,paging tom morrow ,no doubt, thanks, bondy.
Hi Bondy. No you don't have to pay for the Dollar toll pass thingy. However if you don't please make sure you only pay cash at the tolls. Ask for a receipt and make sure the green light is on before you drive off.

Above all else please keep your receipts for at least 6 months after you return.

The problem arises in the Miami area where there aren't cash lanes in a few places.

Edit. Micks picture on Page 1 shows how you veer over for the cash lanes. Exactly what I do.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 05:43 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
BONDY LAD
Imagineer

Many thanks oracle,I knew you would come up donald(trumps), always,always,have plenty of change in car from second we sit in it for tolls, thanks again,your loyal subject, bondy.
BONDY LAD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I have the same problem too, having already cancelled my first "bargain" with Hertz as we had to change our flights - thanks Virgin/Delta Then booked another "bargain" with uscarhire using Dollar, we are flying into MCO then driving to Naples, then back up to Naples 4 days later. We have the car for 16 nights and plan to drive quite a bit. Now concerned re tolls Going to have a read of uscarhire and see if I can cancel for the second time FOC then rebook with someone else. Alamo on Virgin not too bad a price if I can get a free cancellation. I'm getting fed up with it all now!
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 18, 06:09 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
I have the same problem too, having already cancelled my first "bargain" with Hertz as we had to change our flights - thanks Virgin/Delta Then booked another "bargain" with uscarhire using Dollar, we are flying into MCO then driving to Naples, then back up to Naples 4 days later. We have the car for 16 nights and plan to drive quite a bit. Now concerned re tolls Going to have a read of uscarhire and see if I can cancel for the second time FOC then rebook with someone else. Alamo on Virgin not too bad a price if I can get a free cancellation. I'm getting fed up with it all now!
Hi MM - you'll be fine around SW Fl, after leaving the Orlando area the only toll you'll encounter, if you want to, is the I-75 south of Naples (Alligator Alley towards Ft Lauderdale/Miami - no toll heading towards Naples on the I-75 when returning) - Google map of toll HERE. There's a $2 toll onto Cape Coral... both south Naples I-75/CC are manned tolls.

If it helps MM when flying into MCO I never take Sunpass on our one day hire. I drive the 417 to overnight with friends in Orlando, hit two manned tolls and Celebration unmanned. Drive down to Pine Island via the SR-17 spine road, no tolls. No tolls on the I-4/I-75 from Orlando to Naples if you take that route. I take a two day hire for return, hit the same tolls from our pals home to MCO. Let me know if you want the very easy directions from MCO to Naples using the dual carriageway SR-17 afore jumping on the I-75 at Punta Gorda.