Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Feb 18, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
eggsRspecial
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Virgin / Disney Springs / Tickets advice

We have a Virgin Holidays package to Disney World staying at Art of Animation mid August for 14 nights / 15 days. It includes Disney Springs check in on last day and a 14 day ultimate ticket. Also got the Magical Express to the hotel as we are not hiring a car. We arrive at Orlando 2:30 am local time on the first day. Outbound flight back to Manchester is 7:45 pm local time from Orlando.

Trying to work out a few things.

1. Do we try and get into one of the parks that first night (maybe by around 7 pm if airport clearance, transport and hotel check in take that long)? Or do we chill at hotel first day and spend the last morning at one of the parks? Based on this we want to make the most of the days but if we activate the 14 day ticket on day one we can't use it on our last day as it will be day 15. Should we activate on day two and use day 15 as the park day? Or do we not have a choice and the tickets are activated on the magic band as soon as we check in?

2. Trying to plan our days and some things we are not sure of. We have a 14 day ultimate ticket so does that mean we can hop between parks on the same day or can you only be in one park per day?

3. Disney Springs check in. We are not driving and are relying on the Disney Magical Express for airport transfers and Disney Buses for park visits. So is the Disney Springs check in any use for us? Reading comments it seems Disney internal buses don't let you take luggage to Disney Springs which means paying for taxis to take them instead.

At the moment we are thinking of using the tickets for the first day and doing taxi to Disney Springs (looking like $10 one way) check in early 8 am on the last day (maybe saving on time checking in at airport), returning to hotel for pool time and lunch before Magic Express to airport. Trying to spend less time jumping on buses on last day.

Any opinions or ideas please?

Thanks.

Edited at 07:46 PM.
eggsRspecial is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
saratogajan
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We have never yet made it to a park on first night as 7pm is actually midnight. Just try and stay awake as long as possible and get a bite to eat at resort.
We usually get rid of our luggage on the last day then head to a park for a couple of hours before heading back to the hotel for lunch and mde.
We have planned park trips on first night but always been too tired.
saratogajan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 18, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Ultimate tickets allow park hopping, so you can visit all the parks the same day if you really wanted to.

In terms of your 14 day tickets - if you were planning to have any of the days away from the parks then you could use on your first and last day. The tickets are valid for 14 days use over a 15 day period from first activation (so say you miss a day in the middle to go elsewhere, you could use that on day 15).
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 18, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I would chill at hotel the first night and then wake up super early the next morning (jet lag) and hit an EMH park or other park for rope drop. Or go to Disney Springs and chill out a bit the first night.

I've never flown with Virgin, but don't think the Disney Springs check in is much of an advantage for me and even if I had access to it I wouldn't do it (don't drive in Florida and pretty much rely on Disney transportation and Uber when there). What I usually do on check out day is to leave my bags with bell services, go an enjoy a park, come back and pick up my bags from bell services then take the Magical Express to the airport. Check in at MCO is generally fairly painless.

Remember to book your Magical Express (I don't think Virgin books it for you) through Disney! disneyworld.disney.go/ai...n-reservation/
Old 12 Feb 18, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

I wouldn't bother with the DS check in. MDE takes you to the airport quite early anyway, you'll have to be up early and waste time (probably an hour there and back) in the morning going across to save maybe 10 minutes queueing at the airport - which is time you can't even use for anything else. You'd also have to take all your pool stuff as carry on as you won't be able to stash it in one of the cases afterwards.

I think I've only read one trippie where someone actually managed to make it to a park on their first day. I wouldn't even try, you'll have plenty of time over two weeks so no need to rush straight out when you'll more than likely be shattered from the flight.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:06 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

We didn't do the parks last year on the first night as we had the same issue with regards tickets running out. By the time we got to the hotel unpacked had a mooch and a meal it wasn't worth it. We did get up early next day (although it was normal UK time for us) to get it MK for the extra magic hour which was super early something like 7am. This year we are in the same boat with regards the disney spring check in as we won't have a car and are staying at HRH. I don't think it's worth a cab down to disney springs so we are hanging around the HRH and have a transfer booked for 4pm for the 7:30pm flight
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Welcome.
On arrival I would just chill at AOA nice pool, food court and scenery.
Ultimate tickets include park hopping and memory maker.
Last day drop bags with bell services go to park as DME will pick you up approximately 4 hours before flight. Check in at MCO fairly painless.
Enjoy.
Old 13 Feb 18, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
blades
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
Welcome.
On arrival I would just chill at AOA nice pool, food court and scenery.
Ultimate tickets include park hopping and memory maker.
Last day drop bags with bell services go to park as DME will pick you up approximately 4 hours before flight. Check in at MCO fairly painless.
Enjoy.
Agree with the above - most relaxed way to start and finish
blades is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Angel1979
Excited about Disney

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by sky13 View Post
I would chill at hotel the first night and then wake up super early the next morning (jet lag) and hit an EMH park or other park for rope drop. Or go to Disney Springs and chill out a bit the first night.

I've never flown with Virgin, but don't think the Disney Springs check in is much of an advantage for me and even if I had access to it I wouldn't do it (don't drive in Florida and pretty much rely on Disney transportation and Uber when there). What I usually do on check out day is to leave my bags with bell services, go an enjoy a park, come back and pick up my bags from bell services then take the Magical Express to the airport. Check in at MCO is generally fairly painless.

Remember to book your Magical Express (I don't think Virgin books it for you) through Disney! disneyworld.disney.go/ai...n-reservation/
Last time we went (May 2018) Virgin booked MDE home for us.

Is leaving your bags at bell services security though?

If we did Disney Springs check in, we would need a cab from AKL and were thinking of using the Minnie van. Does this hold luggage as there would be 3 adults and five-ish suitcases!

Quality Inn, May 2009, Quality Inn & Caribbean Beach, Oct 2010, Quality Inn/Rosen & POFQ, Sept 2012, Aria, Las Vegas, Sept 2013, Aria, Las Vegas, June 2014, Costa Dorado, Sept 2014, Rosen Inn, PO and Coronado Springs, Nov 2015 Vegas 2016, Florida 2017!
Angel1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 18, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

Your park tickets are not activated until you actually enter one of the parks. I would take a wander round Disney Springs if you want to get some early magic. You can enter as many parks as you like on any day. Some people find it fun to tear round and do all of the major rides in one day. Disney Springs drop off is a marmite question some like it, some don't. You could always get an Uber taxi to the drop off and then catch a bus back.