Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 22 May 18, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
#21
neilhd
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
As further proof that the universe hates me, I have done something to my knee and whatever was in there before appears to have been replaced with a large lumpy of jelly.

Naturally the Locum GP was incredibly helpful, suggesting I go away and come back in a week if it's still bad. So a week later I was back, as it was worse. Luckily I then got to see my actual GP, who agreed it was a little odd. I decided I'm not mucking around with this as I had a similar problem on the other knee a few years ago and that ended up with surgery.

So I got a referral and today saw an actual specialist consultant at a private hospital. I had self-diagnosed myself with Dr Google and decided it was probably a meniscal tear but decided not to tell him, lest he get jealous of my Dr House-like diagnostic skills. He examined my knee ("Whoa that's really swollen!") and he thought the same thing - and quite a bad one too.

He wanted me to get an MRI scan (done literally 20 minutes later - private is wonderful!) and although he needs to see me for a follow-up next week to confirm the scan results, he has already pencilled me in for an arthroscopy in June.

Which is about 3 and half weeks before we fly to Vegas.

He tells me I'll be fine to fly on the 8th July though. And I suppose being in posho class means I can have my leg up as much as I need it if it's still sore. I seem to recall it took about 2 weeks before I was moving fairly normally last time.

My medical insurance documents state it should be covered as it happened after booking (although I have 3 trips coming up which I'm sure will please them) but I suppose I'll have to let them know about it and argue with them if necessary.

Grr, things are never easy!
__________________
My Previous Trip Reports
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
#22
Melbatb
Imagineer
 
Melbatb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13
Sounds painful Neil. At least it is getting sorted out!

And where is the third trip to (Vegas, Orlando and... ?)
__________________

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
#23
Joosebug1987
VIP Dibber
 
Joosebug1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 16
Location: Cheshire
Oh no :-( Hopefully it'll all be sorted by then - if not you'll have to ask them for some decent painkillers so at least if it starts you'll have something suitable! If it was 2 weeks last time hopefully the 3 and a half weeks will be enough - fingers crossed for you x
Joosebug1987 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 May 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
#24
neilhd
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
Sounds painful Neil. At least it is getting sorted out!

And where is the third trip to (Vegas, Orlando and... ?)
Ah, that's New York again in January! Another Club World Avios booking for just Ele and I (well, and a few friends who are going at the same time!)

Originally Posted by Joosebug1987 View Post
Oh no :-( Hopefully it'll all be sorted by then - if not you'll have to ask them for some decent painkillers so at least if it starts you'll have something suitable! If it was 2 weeks last time hopefully the 3 and a half weeks will be enough - fingers crossed for you x
Yeah here's hoping... I think it was 2 weeks, was a few years ago now so don't really remember.
__________________
My Previous Trip Reports
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
#25
neilhd
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Some slightly positive news on the knee front. I saw my consultant again today who can't actually detect anything particularly wrong with my knee, apart from the fact that it's full of fluid and about twice the size of the other one.

So he thinks it might be ok with just being drained and an injection being done, and no surgery!

So that's all booked in next week, although he's getting a colleague to look at the scan as well, just in case they spot something different.

Of course, if it isn't sorted by this and does still need surgery then that would end up being done in between Vegas in July and Florida in August... fingers crossed!
__________________
My Previous Trip Reports
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
#26
Melbatb
Imagineer
 
Melbatb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13
Sounds positive
__________________

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
#27
neilhd
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Well the knee update is not good news.

They extracted a large amount of fluid on Tuesday (apparantly anything over 20mls is quite bad, the highest he's ever had is 100, and I had 85), and gave me a steroid injection.

By the evening it had swelled up to exactly as bad as it was before and has remained that way ever since, with varying amounts of pain to accompany it. Stairs are still pretty much impossible.

So I'm seeing him again next week, but of course that was the date the initial surgery was planned for, and now isn't.

I really wish I'd just insisted on having the damn arthroscopy now... I don't expect there'll be time to get one and and recover from it before Vegas, which basically means my choices are:

1 - Have a really crappy time, barely able to walk and hobbling about with a stick or crutches in 40-degree heat.
2 - Cancel and hope I get some money back.

I guess I'll see what he says on Tuesday, but it's really got me down
__________________
My Previous Trip Reports
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
#28
Joosebug1987
VIP Dibber
 
Joosebug1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 16
Location: Cheshire
Mobile

Oh no really sorry to hear...hoping that he gives you good news on Tuesday or worst case maybe look into hiring a scooter or just reign back the walking rather than lose the whole lot. Hopefully if you explain about holiday they will be able to get you in even if as a cancellation asap.
Fingers crossed for you xx
Joosebug1987 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
#29
neilhd
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber
 
neilhd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 08
Ok well here's another update.

It's actually feeling a lot better. Still swollen and still painful, but I can walk around reasoanably well. So Vegas is definitely still on

Saw my consultant again this week. He has said we now have to do the arthroscopy and has booked me in for after Vegas, on the 23rd or 24th July. I would have preferred it a week earlier but he thinks that's too soon after flying back from Vegas and has a higher risk.

That leaves me with only 3.5 weeks before we go to Florida. He thinks it'll be ok as he is reasonably sure from my scan that there is no major injury to sort out in there. It'd better be, otherwise I'll have a pretty crappy time in Florida!

Although that said his (fairly useless) secretary still hasn't confirmed exactly which date it will be, or at what hospital which is making me nervous as I cannot have it later than that!

I decided to go and see a physio as well to get any advice. He's given me some exercises to do to build it all up a bit which he says will both help before Vegas, and also to strenghten before the arthroscopy to help with the recovery afterwards.
__________________
My Previous Trip Reports
neilhd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 18, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
#30
Melbatb
Imagineer
 
Melbatb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 13
Oh no Neil - though it sounds a bit more positive now than last week! Hope it continues to improve,
__________________

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Disneyland News
On 21st October 8:51am
Disneyland California is the only major Disney theme park to not reopen after all the... Read More »
Posted in Disney Shopping
On 18th October 9:02am
Disney has reduced the price of its large soft toys by up to 50%. Bargains... Read More »
Posted in Disney Offers
On 13th October 10:56am
Disney has released details of their UK & Ireland Early Booker promotion for Spring and... Read More »

theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2797
CaxtonFX  $1.2698
Covent Garden FX  $1.2829
FAIRFX  $1.2635
John Lewis  $1.2809
M&S  $1.2572
Post Office  $1.2549
Sainsburys  $1.2768
TESCO  $1.2793
Travelex  $1.2723
Updated: 05:00 26/10/2020
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0811
CaxtonFX  €1.0731
Covent Garden FX  €1.0887
FAIRFX  €1.0790
John Lewis  €1.0830
M&S  €1.0628
Post Office  €1.0608
Sainsburys  €1.0789
TESCO  €1.0811
Travelex  €1.0800
Updated: 05:00 26/10/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now