Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 27 Jun 20, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Thank you for all your help guys and girls.

So do I now have three options
Booster c £17 each
Power line adapter c£60
Mesh system - from c £140

What the difference between the mesh systems and the and the other two to justify the cost ?
Are all limited to the speed that I would normally get from my router ( c35 Mbps) or do/can anyone of them actually increase the speed ?

I presume. You can " mix and match" - Ie get a power line adapter but then tag on one of the boosters if required

Yorkshire T I am tempted by your kind offer thankyou .But just not sure what the benefits are of getting that rather than the adapter or booster options

I am going to ring sky today to see if there is anything that can be done to get my c35mbps up to the average they claim to be 59mbps
Wireless Mesh basically set a blanket of wireless around your house- all seemless.

Booster is not great and power lines are fine for single items, if you have good wiring, for example plugging a TV box in permently to the network.

Edited at 12:05 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

One issue you may be having is that the conservatory is blocking the signal due to the coating on the windows. Also check the location of your router is it next to the sky box or other electrical devices, Can you place it high on a shelf ?

WIfi extenders are good as long as you can plug them in where you still have a signal and that can then transmit to where you want it. This can still be a problem with some locations.

Mesh is expensive but is the current best option to extend your wifi across the full house.

I use a powerline down in the summer house as the signal goes over the mains and so is good for long distance. This was free from Virgin. But is a good option if there is one area of the property with a weak signal.

There is one other option which is to buy your own Router as not all routers are equal , but a risk.

The other thing I have is a long ethernet cable and a basic wifi router similar to this. So I run the cable to the back of the house and then use this to create a second wifi network. Works a treat plus allows my son to plug PS4 in and get the same speed as if he was next to the main router.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

We must be very lucky with our router as it covers the entire house (3 stories) and the patio. It may go further than the patio but I've never tried.
My son has 4 storeys and has had to have a second box but it was all sorted by his provider. Also his ground floor is a sort of basement so is underground at the front (built into a hill) which possibly doesn't help.

Just to add we have talk talk broadband and router is in hall way so open to both stair cases.

Edited at 12:52 PM.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
HenrysDad
Imagineer

HenrysDad's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I 100% agree with Yorkshire Tea, Netgear Orbi is the best way to achieve what you need, not cheap, but I got this set up on the recommendation of my ex neighbour who was the ultimate geek ( I mean that affectionately, not disparagingly), and it has resolved all of our wi-fi issues superbly.
Old 27 Jun 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

I have spoken to sky today
They are going to send me a new router , so will give that a try first
I will try it both in the front room and the lounge
The lady from sky did say to move the router away from electrical stuff so will be trying what I can there
If It doesn't work , they will send me a booster for just the £9.95 postage cost , and they will stand the £70 alleged equipment cost because I am such a great customer 😂

If that doesn't work, I will go down the mesh route that hopefully will sort it once and for all

Thanks again for all your advice
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

A mesh network would be the best option but is also double the cost.

WiFi repeaters are really hit and miss bridge solutions and not the route I would go.

I would go with power line adapters but switch it around. Put the router back where it was if you had a good overall coverage for the back garden there. Then put the power line adaptors in for the front room and plug the Xbox directly into the power line adapters which will give you the best overall connectivity.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
A mesh network would be the best option but is also double the cost.

WiFi repeaters are really hit and miss bridge solutions and not the route I would go.

I would go with power line adapters but switch it around. Put the router back where it was if you had a good overall coverage for the back garden there. Then put the power line adaptors in for the front room and plug the Xbox directly into the power line adapters which will give you the best overall connectivity.
The problem is I have never had good coverage in the garden irrespective of where the router has been
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Then maybe a powerline adapter for the front room and a powerline adapter with WiFi repeater (different to an extender) as close to the garden as possible.

Example with 2 extenders amazon/TL-WPA4220T...werline&sr=8-4

Would still.plug the Xbox directly into one rather than use the wireless feature.

Edited at 05:34 PM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 20, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Then maybe a powerline adapter for the front room and a powerline adapter with WiFi repeater (different to an extender) as close to the garden as possible.

Example with 2 extenders amazon/TL-WPA4220T...werline&sr=8-4

Would still.plug the Xbox directly into one rather than use the wireless feature.
Thank you for your further advice . However I am confused as you said in your previous post that you wouldn’t advise WiFi repeater, then now saying you would recommend a WiFi repeater ?

What does a WiFi repeater do ? I would have hoped a double power line adapter would be more than sufficient but if I understand correctly , you are recommending a WiFi repeater as well . Which model would you recommend and would it not make more sense to just get a mesh if these are a similar price to ‘ double power line plus repeater’ - when you said mesh was the best way to go initially ?

Or have I completely misunderstood?
Thanks for your patience with a dunce 😂😂
Old 27 Jun 20, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Not quite what I said but can see the confusion, I wouldn't recommend a WiFi extender, not a repeater. An extender captures the existing WiFi signal and then boosts it.

A repeater takes a wired signal and then creates a new wireless signal.

The first is a bodge and has high latency and loss. The other is like having several routers around the house.

Some of the mesh systems work as extenders but they are designed in a way to do it in a better way. Although better quality meshes also use repeaters.

Edited at 07:26 PM.