Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 16 Aug 20, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Last Trip before Lockdown. Mar 2020. Pre Travel Day. The Gatwick Getaway.

Monday March 2nd Pre Travel Day

The pre trip nonsense is HERE

Oh pre travel day - never will I take you for granted again since this Corona craziness

We both worked up till lunchtime - I was still a freelance contractor at the time so every day really did count in terms of pay!

Online check in opened at 10 and both of us were able to check in fine - so that was good - no one being selected for extra questions

Packing had been a bit tricky - March is so unpredictable with the weather and the forecast suggested that it could be a bit nippy so we had a mix of stuff in the case.

We packed just the medium size case inside the larger one - in clear anticipation of some purchases being made.

What do I mean we? LOL We all know interference in packing is a big matrimonial no no so it was definitely all on me

We also went with one smallish piece of hand luggage each - ditching the wheeled cabin cases and a first outing for my Mickey rucksack

Ah see the trusty snooze pillow too .. love it

We left home around 2.30 and had a good run to Gatwick, taking just under 2 hours. Pretty decent and M25 was not horrendous

Sandman had completed its refurb from when I last stayed and it looked very impressive

the room was great

Only in these trip starved days could a pic of a hotel shower be so exciting

and I can report that we had no laundry or passport traumas - a very positive start.

I spent some time sorting out our overnight and travel stuff so there would be no moments at the eleventh hour later tonight after we have left the case at bag drop

At 5.15 (such precision) we ordered a taxi to take us over for twilight bag drop - not before a quick check on the Dibb about whether we would need to take our hand luggage as well - which seemed to be a no so we headed off with just the case.

Taxi cost £8.50

Look away now if the sight of the Departure Terminal at Gatwick is going to make you emotional!

It was very quiet - took less than 10 minutes to do the bag drop - with the case weighing in at 21.9kg.

Always great to have got rid of the case.

Time to relax now for Dinner

I had a voucher for a half price gin and tonic

So that was a double, for the price of a single £4.50
Just another look at it……..

I had the macaroni cheese with bacon £11.95

Which was really very good. Surprisingly so. Yummy.

Andy had the fish and chips .. it’s haddock by the way £13.95

Made a change from the Premier Inn restaurant. Which was good as we weren’t staying there

We both really enjoyed it.

Now we needed to get back to the hotel and what a faff this turned out to be.

With no taxi rank to be found, we approached the little taxi booth near the entrance and as he started to order us a car we asked the price ……

Sharp intake of breath

£19

SAY WHAT ?

More than double what it had cost to get here? No thanks

We took the monorail over to the other terminal thinking we might be better off there but nope - same set up

Welcome to rip off Britain travellers - that just can’t be right to charge such overpriced fares ...

So back on the monorail and feeling a bit peeved by now we went out to the front of the terminal and approached a taxi driver - who told us they are not allowed to make walk up pick-ups - they can only collect from hotels.

Making a note of the cab firm number we went and stood in the lobby of the Premier Inn and phoned

Bingo - 5 minutes later a taxi arrived and whizzed us back for the princely sum of ... £8.50- - exactly the same as it had cost to get us here.

Back at the hotel we had a quick drink but couldn’t really be bothered with staying in the bar.

Andy had a few last things to sort out for work so it was back to the room for some pre travel night tv - when even if its rubbish it’s good because frankly you just don’t care.

We weren’t up late and of course turned the lights off in full expectation(not) of deep and uninterrupted slumber.

Nah - tomorrow is travel day innit - who needs to sleep !

Edited at 06:05 PM.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

A smooth travel day ... unheard of!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

What? No dramas? I have to say I'm a little disappointed Seriously though, it's nice to have a pre-travel day go well. What a cheek re. the taxi back to your hotel Thank goodness you managed to find a way to circumvent their ridiculous system. Food at Nicholas Culpeper looks very nice, and the bonus of a half price drink too - win!

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Flower2603
Imagineer

Flower2603's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 24
Ooh another trip report to read from Amanda, can't wait. Thanks for cheering us up as I'm sitting at home Dibbin' instead of being at WDW right now, thanks to corona.

August 2008 - All Star Sports/Tradewinds, St. Pete
Aug. 2010 - Beach Club/RPH Aug. 2012 - Beach Club!
August 2015 - RPH/POFQ
October 2017 - Newport Bay DLP August 2018 Tokyo Disney
Flower2603 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The hotel looks fab. I have missed no pre hotel stay this year , it is a total highlight for me , dinner not made by self , bathroom cleaned by someone else and crisp bed sheets I’ve not had to press ... heaven
Looking forward to travel day
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good pre travel day what a pain with the taxi

Joan
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

The hotel and the meal both look lovely. How cheeky about the taxi fare!
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Pleased you finally got sorted with a taxi and managed the same fare back.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Yay ! A trip report. So missing these. You just managed to squeeze your trip in before lockdown. Looking forward to reading this.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Originally Posted by caj View Post
A smooth travel day ... unheard of!
I know! Who even are we!

Originally Posted by Fuellady View Post
What? No dramas? I have to say I'm a little disappointed Seriously though, it's nice to have a pre-travel day go well. What a cheek re. the taxi back to your hotel Thank goodness you managed to find a way to circumvent their ridiculous system. Food at Nicholas Culpeper looks very nice, and the bonus of a half price drink too - win!
Ha ha obviously the less planning time you have the less scope for drama . Hmm 🤔
Wasn’t that such a rip off. I felt really bad for people arriving in the UK who would have no idea. I mean I know there’s a premium but wow.
Culpeper’s was fab. I hope they have survived lockdown

Originally Posted by Flower2603 View Post
Ooh another trip report to read from Amanda, can't wait. Thanks for cheering us up as I'm sitting at home Dibbin' instead of being at WDW right now, thanks to corona.

Oh that’s 😭
Hope it helps xx

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
The hotel looks fab. I have missed no pre hotel stay this year , it is a total highlight for me , dinner not made by self , bathroom cleaned by someone else and crisp bed sheets I’ve not had to press ... heaven
Looking forward to travel day
It’s a great bit of the holiday isn’t it. All the anticipation and a big plus as this hotel is really nice.
Travel day was pretty good too 😁

Originally Posted by mick View Post
A good pre travel day what a pain with the taxi

Joan
Yes a complete pain. But an otherwise painless pre travel day.

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
The hotel and the meal both look lovely. How cheeky about the taxi fare!
Hello. Yes they were both fab.
Andy was 😡 about the fare.

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Pleased you finally got sorted with a taxi and managed the same fare back.
Yes It would have made it an expensive meal and bag drop otherwise ! Shame no shuttle to the hotel. Just that bit further out.

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Yay ! A trip report. So missing these. You just managed to squeeze your trip in before lockdown. Looking forward to reading this.
Ah thank you.
We did time it right for sure !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List