Old 17 Jun 20, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Pacific Northwest Aug 2019 Day 8 Stonehenge and Mount Rainier National Park

We slept very well in the Comfort Inn and it certainly lived up to its name. Breakfast was included and it was pretty good with eggs, bacon, waffles, fruit etc. So we filled up as we wanted to hit the road as we were going to Mount Ranier National Park, which would turn out to be our favourite place on the whole trip.

On the way, we had to stop at Stonehenge, which bizarrely was in Washington State and not Salisbury. I work for English Heritage so could not resist a stop at this version, which unlike ours is complete. Made out of concrete it was created as a WW1 memorial by a US entrepreneur who we assume had a love of prehistoric monuments. It was good to walk around the complete Stonehenge and I of course took a number of photos which I tweeted to colleagues back in the UK.

Back on the road we needed to get some lunch and thought we would stop at the next largest town on the map, which was called Yakima. We spotted a Walmart and thought we would pull in as it had a Subway and we could get some sandwiches. However, it really felt a bit dodgy and there were a number of quite strange people about. We did find out later that it is known locally as ‘Crackima’ so that probably gives a good idea of what the town was like….

After waiting in the longest queue ever in Walmart (why do they never have enough cashiers?) we got lunch and supplies as we were staying in a cabin for the next 3 nights and got back on the road, pleased to leave Crackima behind. Fortunately the drive to Mount Rainier quickly became really scenic and we found a lovely spot to have lunch by a river as well as stopping a various turn outs to take in views of some impressive waterfalls. Although bizarrely as we walked to one overlook there was what looked like a memorial to someone with flowers etc. What was odd that there was a name carved into the stone with the dates of birth and death, with the death date being in the future! This was not due to the American standard of writing the day and month differently but a whole year in the future! ? We did wonder if it was from a cartel giving someone a warning….

We arrived at Mount Rainier National park, through the loveliest entrance at about 2pm.

We then drove to a short trail called ‘Grove of the Patriarchs.’ This is an easy 2 mile walk amongst these awesome huge trees, which I clearly felt should be hugged as they were so old, ancient and magnificent. We loved it and it was a good way to start our adventure in Mount Rainier.

We then called in the wonderfully named Ohanapecosh Visitor centre and picked up some trail maps for our next few days hiking before heading to nearby Packwood where our cabin was located.

The road into the cabin was a bit hairy and we wouldn’t want to drive it in the snow or dark but the cabin itself was fabulous. There were 3 bedrooms, a wonderful balcony with great views and best of all, a hot tub.

That evening we had BBQ of steaks and burgers and chilled in the hot tub as the sun went down, followed by watching many episodes of The Good Place on Netflix. It really was a lovely cabin and we were delighted to be spending the next 3 nights here.

Edited at 03:21 PM.
katiebaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 20, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Your cabin looks amazing and the whole Park sounds really good - love the tree hugging picture. I can completely understand that urge!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
Your cabin looks amazing and the whole Park sounds really good - love the tree hugging picture. I can completely understand that urge!
The trees were so ancient and awesome, they definitely needed hugging!
katiebaz is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
I had no idea there was another Stonehenge that is very interesting and I can imagine you got great pics.

Who doesn’t love hugging a tree,that photo is fab

The cabin looks amazing and what a treat to have a hot tub.
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jun 20, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

A much better day, well minus Crackima... Mount Rainier NP looks beautiful, I think I'd have to hug those trees too! That cabin is ideal and the hot tub a massive bonus

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
I had no idea there was another Stonehenge that is very interesting and I can imagine you got great pics.

Who doesn’t love hugging a tree,that photo is fab

The cabin looks amazing and what a treat to have a hot tub.
That is the second ‘stonehenge’ we have visited in the states as a few years ago we also came across a ‘foam henge’ in Virginia! The trees were awesome and just cried out for a hug too
Old 30 Jun 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Apprentice Imagineer

katiebaz's Reviews
Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
A much better day, well minus Crackima... Mount Rainier NP looks beautiful, I think I'd have to hug those trees too! That cabin is ideal and the hot tub a massive bonus
The cabin was so lovely and the hot tub definitely was an added bonus. I am so glad I am not alone on my tree hugging