Great start on the planning
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkermom View Post
Lovely photos and some great memories.

Great start on the planning
Thanks. It really was fun looking back through the old photos. Thanks for reading.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Great start to your pre trip report! Sounds like your holiday is coming together nicely! It won’t be long before your ADR day! Have you got any ideas what you will be booking? Look forward to reading more!
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Elsa42 View Post
Great start to your pre trip report! Sounds like your holiday is coming together nicely! It won’t be long before your ADR day! Have you got any ideas what you will be booking? Look forward to reading more!
Thanks for reading. 11th Feb is ADR day and I'm finding it a bit tricky to put a plan together this time so I shall be looking for a bit of advice in the next few days.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Parks

This should be a quick and simple update. As is probably obvious from where we are staying, we are going to be visiting Universal and Disney. We also plan on visiting Kennedy Space Center, Busch gardens as it was a favourite last time and maybe Seaworld.

We have the 14 day Disney tickets included in our booking at beach club. We will visit all 6 parks over the course of the 2 weeks.

I bought our Universal tickets and our Seaworld/Busch tickets in the Black Friday sale from Attraction Tickets Direct (or whatever they've changed their name to now!) for a small deposit. We plan to visit Volcano Bay for the first time this trip and both other Universal Parks. We are definitely visiting Busch but Seaworld is still under discussion.

The only tickets we have left to buy are for Kennedy Space Center. The rest of us were thinking we might skip this one having been on both our previous two trips but DH is hoping to go on one of the extended tours this time.
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

The itinerary

Now comes the bit where I could really do with some advice/a fresh pair of eyes/ someone to tell me to stop being so nutty! I've been working on the itinerary for what seems like months and I just don't seem to be coming up with anything that I'm really happy with.

So far I have

Mon 10th HS rope drop morning and evening for fantasmic.

Tue 11th MK rope drop until after the parade.

Wed 12th Epcot rope drop until lunch Disney Springs afternoon.

Thur 13th Animal Kingdom rope drop until early afternoon.

Friday 14th Busch Gardens

Saturday 15th Magic Kingdom rope drop until early afternoon

Sunday 16th Potential 4 park day

Monday 17th Typhoon Lagoon morning HS afternoon

Tuesday 18th Seaworld Day followed by Epcot EMH

Wednesday 19th ?

Thursday 20th ?

Friday 21st Lazy morning MNSSHP

Saturday 22nd ?

Sunday 23rd Check out of Beach Club. Busch Gardens until flight.

These are the things I would like to add to the plan:
An evening at AK for ROL.
More AK time in general as it is our 2nd favourite park.
More Water park time
An opportunity to see HEA as we missed it on our last trip.

Where would you fit these in? I like to spread our visits to each park out fairly evenly across the trip and I'm struggling to add in the things above and still have a balance. I'm also struggling with not spending our last evening in MK but that seems a bit mad when we're spending a lot of time (fingers crossed) at MNSSHP the night before.

I will say that we do like our trips to be busy with no complete rest days but will change plans on the day if we feel it's too much.

Edited at 08:48 PM.
Old 23 Jan 20, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Elsa42
Apprentice Imagineer

Elsa42's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by jothp View Post
The itinerary

Now comes the bit where I could really do with some advice/a fresh pair of eyes/ someone to tell me to stop being so nutty! I've been working on the itinerary for what seems like months and I just don't seem to be coming up with anything that I'm really happy with.

So far I have

Mon 10th HS rope drop morning and evening for fantasmic.

Tue 11th MK rope drop until after the parade.

Wed 12th Epcot rope drop until lunch Disney Springs afternoon.

Thur 13th Animal Kingdom rope drop until early afternoon.

Friday 14th Busch Gardens

Saturday 15th Magic Kingdom rope drop until early afternoon

Sunday 16th Potential 4 park day

Monday 17th Typhoon Lagoon morning HS afternoon

Tuesday 18th Seaworld Day followed by Epcot EMH

Wednesday 19th ?

Thursday 20th ?

Friday 21st Lazy morning MNSSHP

Saturday 22nd ?

Sunday 23rd Check out of Beach Club. Busch Gardens until flight.

These are the things I would like to add to the plan:
An evening at AK for ROL.
More AK time in general as it is our 2nd favourite park.
More Water park time
An opportunity to see HEA as we missed it on our last trip.

Where would you fit these in? I like to spread our visits to each park out fairly evenly across the trip and I'm struggling to add in the things above and still have a balance. I'm also struggling with not spending our last evening in MK but that seems a bit mad when we're spending a lot of time (fingers crossed) at MNSSHP the night before.

I will say that we do like our trips to be busy with no complete rest days but will change plans on the day if we feel it's too much.
I think your plan is looking good so far! I seemed to be struggling with this part of the planning this year too. Never normally do so it’s strange! Do you have to plan water parks in? We tend to plan out park days thEn go to the water parks as and when we fancy it rather than planning each water park trip!
I would move your 4 parks if I could to a none weekend day? Weekends tend to be slightly busier so it will make it slightly harder.

Saturday the 15th id do rope drop in the morning, leave early afternoon then go back in the evening for happily ever after!

I would move your Busch gardens day too to a day your not flying home, where are you flying from as Busch is around an hour or so from Disney, I wouldn’t like to be that far away!

Thursday 20th animal kingdom here maybe with rope drop leaving at lunch then back for river of lights. Are you doing universal? You haven’t got that in your plan yet if so?

Hope this helps slightly 😊
Elsa42 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for your help and taking the time to read through our itinerary. It is strange how much I'm struggling this year. I thought it would be easiest if I replied to each bit on your quote so I put my thoughts in purple below

Originally Posted by Elsa42 View Post
I think your plan is looking good so far! I seemed to be struggling with this part of the planning this year too. Never normally do so it’s strange! Do you have to plan water parks in? We tend to plan out park days thEn go to the water parks as and when we fancy it rather than planning each water park trip!
I would move your 4 parks if I could to a none weekend day? Weekends tend to be slightly busier so it will make it slightly harder.

We tend to plan in the water parks or I'd put parks in every day and the water parks would end up being missed!

I had deliberately put the 4 parks day on the weekend because I thought we might as well do a bit of each park rather than having one of our main visits to a park on a busy day but I'll have a think about where I could move it to.

Saturday the 15th id do rope drop in the morning, leave early afternoon then go back in the evening for happily ever after!
That would have been my plan too but MK is closing at 6pm that day! I did think about doing MK on Sunday instead but it is closing 6pm Thur and Sat and has EMH Fri and Mon so thought Sunday might be extra busy.

I would move your Busch gardens day too to a day your not flying home, where are you flying from as Busch is around an hour or so from Disney, I wouldn’t like to be that far away!
We do have another full day at Busch Gardens earlier on. We are flying out of Tampa so Busch is really close and I'd rather get the travelling done early in the day and know we haven't got far left to go.

Thursday 20th animal kingdom here maybe with rope drop leaving at lunch then back for river of lights. Are you doing universal? You haven’t got that in your plan yet if so?
Sorry I should have put on the plan - this is just the Disney days. We have a few days at Universal first I think we will do animal kingdom on the Wednesday or Thursday. A split day might be good or maybe an afternoon/evening after blizzard beach.

Hope this helps slightly 😊
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I read your daily plan last night and didn't have time to reply. Gosh, when you see mine you're gonna think I'm crazy as it's jam packed! I thought I'd paired it down this year too but seems like I haven't

Anyway, onto your plans.

I quite like visiting a different park in the evening, this way it sort of feels like we've done more. The reality is it's the same amount of time but most days we will see 2 parks. I always book FP in the morning park and then hope to pick up 4th, 5th etc FP in the evening park.

So, with that in mind I'd be tempted to change it up a bit, obviously you don't have to use my ideas as they may not fit with your park style, but here goes.

Mon HS in am, then change to HEA at MK, you may get bonus FP here as there are so many attractions, or just go for fireworks.

Tue MK am and parade, then AK fireworks

Wed Epcot am, then Fantasmic fireworks

Thu water park, AK afternoon and evening

Fri Busch Gardens, Epcot fireworks

Sat MK am, HS evening Star Wars fireworks

Sun 4 parks, I saw what Elsa42 said, she's absolutely right, but we did our 4 parks 1 day in 2018 on a Saturday in August on a day where no park was recommended as they were all so busy. So it is doable and also means you're not stuck in one park while it's busy you're spread across them all.

Mon water park, you'll need a rest after 4 parks day, AK evening

Tue stick with Seaworld and Epcot EEH

Wed water park then MK possibly has EEH

Thu lazy start, resort or Disney Springs, HS evening

Fri nothing as MNSSHP you will be having a late night

Sat Another lazy start, pick your park for afternoon/evening you could leave this open and decide on the day before as the park you've not done all you wanted so you get a chance to go back somewhere if any of you feel you've missed a favourite attraction or something.

So, I'm not sure if you're going to like all these suggestions but maybe some of it will work for you.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I read your daily plan last night and didn't have time to reply. Gosh, when you see mine you're gonna think I'm crazy as it's jam packed! I thought I'd paired it down this year too but seems like I haven't

Anyway, onto your plans.

I quite like visiting a different park in the evening, this way it sort of feels like we've done more. The reality is it's the same amount of time but most days we will see 2 parks. I always book FP in the morning park and then hope to pick up 4th, 5th etc FP in the evening park.

So, with that in mind I'd be tempted to change it up a bit, obviously you don't have to use my ideas as they may not fit with your park style, but here goes.

Mon HS in am, then change to HEA at MK, you may get bonus FP here as there are so many attractions, or just go for fireworks.

Tue MK am and parade, then AK fireworks

Wed Epcot am, then Fantasmic fireworks

Thu water park, AK afternoon and evening

Fri Busch Gardens, Epcot fireworks

Sat MK am, HS evening Star Wars fireworks

Sun 4 parks, I saw what Elsa42 said, she's absolutely right, but we did our 4 parks 1 day in 2018 on a Saturday in August on a day where no park was recommended as they were all so busy. So it is doable and also means you're not stuck in one park while it's busy you're spread across them all.

Mon water park, you'll need a rest after 4 parks day, AK evening

Tue stick with Seaworld and Epcot EEH

Wed water park then MK possibly has EEH

Thu lazy start, resort or Disney Springs, HS evening

Fri nothing as MNSSHP you will be having a late night

Sat Another lazy start, pick your park for afternoon/evening you could leave this open and decide on the day before as the park you've not done all you wanted so you get a chance to go back somewhere if any of you feel you've missed a favourite attraction or something.

So, I'm not sure if you're going to like all these suggestions but maybe some of it will work for you.

Thanks so much for taking the time to go through my crazy plans and reply. Like you on both our previous trips we have mainly done two parks per day with a rest break in between but as part of the final thoughts for the last trip I wrote this: (quote in red as you can't quote another thread!)

I had planned two parks into most of our days with an afternoon break in between. On our last trip this had worked well for us and we fitted in a swim and a short nap most afternoons before going out again for the evening. This time however, it didn't work quite so well. We seemed to be always rushing about and not getting enough down time in between. I think we ended up staying in the morning park for longer which then cut short our time back at the hotel. In addition the girls were much harder to convince to nap this time meaning it was always a battle to get rest. This meant that we were often feeling tired during our evenings in the park and didn't really make the most of them.

I think if there is another trip, I will plan just one park each day - rope drop mornings and/or early breakfasts for the first week and then lazy mornings with later afternoon/evenings in the park during the second week.

I was trying to stick to my thoughts from last time but I think that is probably one of the reasons I am struggling - the plan just seems too empty!

I've got a couple of jobs to do, then I'm going to sit down with a cup of tea and go through all your suggestions properly and will reply to each one.