Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 19 Jul 20, 03:19 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

Think it was on a vlog that Brayden from Mickey views put up shows a cooling area where get your temperature taken that you can stand in for a few minutes in case your temperature comes up high, maybe due to the weather/walking around or just waiting in the sunshine.

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

This worries me. My basal temp is always at least 37.2, often at work in a warm ward I hit 38.2. It’s normal for me as I run hot. I wouldn’t be allowed off the plane 😂
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
because he's young and fit.

the issue is not with oxygen levels, it's about how much air you can inhale in one breath
Unless the mask is fairly airtight - and most of the fabric ones aren’t - then you’ll take in just as much air each time you breathe whether wearing a mask or not. The masks do not in any way reduce the amount of air entering your lungs.

It’s been debunked by several people that wearing a loose fitting fabric mask makes no difference whatsoever to the levels of oxygen you breathe in (which is what matters when inhaling).

Masks can be a bit stuffy and can make you sweat more - your basically going to have warm air around your face all day. They are a bit uncomfortable. But it won’t affect your breathing.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It’s been debunked by several people that wearing a loose fitting fabric mask makes no difference whatsoever to the levels of oxygen you breathe in (which is what matters when inhaling).
I won't enter an argument on that point, as it's not the topic

I will just add that, several people, including myself, first hand, cannot wear masks for "long" (in my case, first signs of heavy discomfort start after 20 minutes, with surgical masks)

the point you're referring to (levels of oxygen you breathe) is flawed. as it's not the real issue
The oxygen levels in the air you breathe remain the same, because the masks does not filter the oxygen out. So, yes, there is as much oxygen in one liter of air, before AND after the mask
but if the point is flawed it's because it reflects on the percentage of O2 in the air, and not on the quantity of air.

so, let's make it simple with an example.
we are inhaling by creating a depression in our lungs , rib cage opens, volume inside lungs expands, causing a vacuum that is filled by the air coming from the nose or mouth.

basically, this acts as a vacuum cleaner. Lower pressure inside causes air to be sucked in.

now, put your hand in front of the nozzle. You'll soon hear the engine rev up, and notice it puts more strain on the appliance.
That's a very easy way to see what a mak can do to people who have "weak" breathing, or respiratory conditions.

still, with your hand subtly blocking the nozzle of your vac, the amount of oxygen entering the vac will be the same as the amount of oxygen in the room, per liter of air.

so, as said earlier, it's not a question of oxygen levels, but a question of quantity of air.
for people who have difficulty breathing, even without the mask, the mask will make it harder to inhale air, not just oxygen, just plain old air, but since oxygen makes 21% of the air we breathe, receiving less air per breath means receiving less oxygen. To compensate the person will need to breathe more often.
It is no issue for the vast majority of people, who are fit, and for whom it's just like walking a bit faster, they won't even break a sweat out of this.
But for people with respiratory issues, it is very painful.

again, oxygen levels are not the issue. Air contains as much oxygen before and after the mask, but if you need 20 breaths a minute to have the same quantity of air enter your lungs (compared to 15 on average for an adult, when being "idle") you will put more strain on the "engine". In serious cases, it will even become incapacitating
as I have mentionned before, I, for example, can't wear a mask for more than 20 minutes without seeing black spots, and feeling dizzy, and at 45 it's nausea and distress.
It is just the same as if I tried to run, which I can't due to my respiratory concerns, and one of the reasons I will give places like theme parks a miss until the mask requirement is lifted.

Edited at 09:15 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by dreamadream View Post
This worries me. My basal temp is always at least 37.2, often at work in a warm ward I hit 38.2. It’s normal for me as I run hot. I wouldn’t be allowed off the plane 😂
I’m the same - I had blood tests a few weeks ago as my temperature is constantly around 37.5 but they came back clear - so don’t know if I’d get in!

Out of interest, would you say you suffer from the cold? - I’m convinced my core temperature is higher because I am always convinced I’m cold (I always wear more layers than everyone else because I think I’m cold, but people tell me I’m warm! I’ve been like that since I was a child!)

Edited at 09:23 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
I’m the same - I had blood tests a few weeks ago as my temperature is constantly around 37.5 but they came back clear - so don’t know if I’d get in!
A temp of 37.5 degs C is at the top end of normal. So it's not particularly abnormal.

It's also equal to 99.5 F which is less than 100.4 F. So you should get into the parks without much trouble. Also, the way they take your temperature using a forehead scanner usually underestimates the temperature (so it will probably read less than 37.5C / 99.5F).

Finally, when you sweat, your skin temperature actually lowers slightly. So being sweaty will actually help lower the reading.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

No I never suffer with the cold, I wish I did! I hate being hot. Any sort of exertion and it rockets. I finished three night shifts yesterday and out of interest took my temp several times each night. The lowest was 37.3 when I first started work, hit 38.1 several hours in and then settled to 37.7 for the rest of the night. Pretty much The same each night. It’s normal for me, but we do joke I’d never be out of hospital as the doctors wouldn’t believe me that it’s normal for me lol
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
A temp of 37.5 degs C is at the top end of normal. So it's not particularly abnormal.

It's also equal to 99.5 F which is less than 100.4 F. So you should get into the parks without much trouble. Also, the way they take your temperature using a forehead scanner usually underestimates the temperature (so it will probably read less than 37.5C / 99.5F).

Finally, when you sweat, your skin temperature actually lowers slightly. So being sweaty will actually help lower the reading.
That’s really good to know - thank you x
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Hill_10
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Being in hot climates should not raise your temperature as your body will regulate your temp within a narrow window.

Masks do not effect your oxygen saturation’s or the amount of air you can breathe in. They can cause you to breathe warmer than normal air as the mask warms up but have no effect on oxygen or air volume.
For reference I am a NHS nurse and have been wearing them for 14 hours a day since March both surgical masks and FFP3 masks (sometimes both at the same time)