Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jun 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Team - you are all tempting me into looking at Universal tickets alongside Disney! Not been since 2015...

If we ever hear from Disney about what is happening to our packages, and if there is a reduction in cost, I may be temped (I do think Universal is rather expensive, but thats another story)

They may have later opening times to Disney by August so could make park hopping work.. just different businesses, ha!

(wo)MAN vs FOOD - August 2017 food trip report
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
Having been to WDW the last 2 years I'm so excited about my Universal visit, all these new experiences. I'm spending hours reading up on it all 😀
Are you a pudding person? Toothsome, cold stone creamery, voodoo donuts and menchies frozen yoghurt are all on city walk and all worth a visit. I can usually take or leave pudding but these places all converted me.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

If anyone had told me two weeks ago that I'd be ditching Disney for Universal I'd have laughed and said never. Now I'm really excited about it 😀
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
Are you a pudding person? Toothsome, cold stone creamery, voodoo donuts and menchies frozen yoghurt are all on city walk and all worth a visit. I can usually take or leave pudding but these places all converted me.
Yes, very much so. Whenever I eat out I always look at the dessert menu first! I've heard of Toothsome and Voodoo Donuts, seen pictures, they look amazing!
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by HelenLime View Post
Toothsome's is amazing, REALLY good food in a fun environment, we were really pleasantly surprised when we first ate there, it's a regular for us now!

Can't walk past Cold Stone Creamery without stopping for a pot of something delicious.

Another one we love is Cowfish, their sushi is amazing!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Toothsome's is amazing, REALLY good food in a fun environment, we were really pleasantly surprised when we first ate there, it's a regular for us now!

Can't walk past Cold Stone Creamery without stopping for a pot of something delicious.

Another one we love is Cowfish, their sushi is amazing!
I'm allergic to seafood so sushi is out for me but sweet stuff is a definite yes 😀
Old 4 Jun 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
bosshogg
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Mobile

What's the thoughts on the Universal vlogs coming out today of the opening?
bosshogg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrissieL
Helping Donald

I'll wait until tomorrow/ next week when the main stream visitors start to attend before deciding . Mixed opinions watching 2 different vlogs.
ChrissieL is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Lozzi
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by dvc View Post
I don’t think there will be either treatment or vaccine. The prediction for vaccine is 2021 and for treatment - well tests haVe just resumed on drugs which it is hoped MAY help. I would suggest you’re being a little optimistic there 😂
I could argue you are being pessimistic, however this is nothing that can prove either of right except for time.

There is already treatment to be fair, just how effective it is at present is still unknown. Tests have also not just resumed, they never stopped, given they are now going back to ibuprofen as a trial shows they are still learning about this virus.

I'm hopeful that a short gap treatment will be found soon, this will helpfully negate the need for a vaccine, however with the situation in places like Brazil, the likelihood is that this won't be the case 😪

When this will all happen, who knows, hopefully this year, optimism maybe but I'm no scientist so what do I know.
Lozzi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Ok so this is a little negative but with a positive twist in that I have decided to start looking in to alternatives so we can still consider going.

We are a family of 4 (all adults in travel and food consumption terms but kids are 12 and 13).

We had a week at POFQ with QSDP and 7 days car hire (for week 2 of our holiday but as we booked as a package I can't see the cost breakdown so including it in our figures). The cost of this with park tickets was circa £3200. We have a villa for week 2 which has been booked independently of our package and so the cost of this plus our week 2 spends are all accounted for already.

I'm estimating I would need £160 a day (around $200) for food and other spends in week 1. This would be eating breakfast in the room and then a mix of fast food, budget and a couple of splash out meals.

With DDP being cancelled this leaves me with a budget of £2080 to look at an alternative plan for the week. Our second week villa has two extra nights free at the start of our stay so we could book those at a cost of £160. This leaves me with £1920.

I have had a quote for 5 nights at Aventura plus 14 day universal tickets at a cost of £1860.

This leaves me with £60 for 2 extra days of car hire and an uber from the airport to Universal.

I feel like the numbers aren't going in my favour as I'm getting less for my money and will have to pay out more (plus losing the $200 gift card and opt out housekeeping money we promised the kids for spends)

BUT we would love to explore Universal more as only did 2 days back in 2014 and never explored I Drive.

AND it would mean we potentially still get to go (if the borders are open, Ireland don't put their dates back and decide our flight can operate on 10 Aug yada yada yawn yawn 😂😂&#128514

So what does everyone think of the prices, calculations, budgets and plans? I am still too-ing and fro-ing. DH isn't keen on masks but if we do lots of volcano bay and pool time we wouldn't have them glued to our faces. We also thought "what if the weather then ends up rubbish) but with the car we can hopefully chase the sun to a beach in week 2.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List