Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 14 May 20, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Disney introduced fingerprint checks to stop the ticket touts not to stop families sharing. If Disney allowed you to share a ticket without checking ID then the dodgy ticket sellers would crop up again.
Sometimes on here you get the Disney police unfortunately. I completely agree, there was a time you could buy a 7 entry pass. What difference does it make to Disney if 2 different family members use it? Different case with someone buying an annual pass and then selling it to people for a day or 2 for profit
b00110908 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by b00110908 View Post
Sometimes on here you get the Disney police unfortunately. I completely agree, there was a time you could buy a 7 entry pass. What difference does it make to Disney if 2 different family members use it? Different case with someone buying an annual pass and then selling it to people for a day or 2 for profit
Also makes sense as to why they can't bring it back
Old 14 May 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Lizzie that's great for you. I'm glad you holiday like that. I suppose you don't know people's circumstances.
Good luck to you.
I dont holiday like that as the rest of my family do not have the money to spend on a florida holiday unless they save for years.
Old 14 May 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
I dont holiday like that as the rest of my family do not have the money to spend on a florida holiday unless they save for years.
I'm not sure why you'd comment telling people it's strange the way they work holidays? Maybe I find it strange that you don't holiday with your whole family? If you do things differently that's fine but please don't try to put it down as you do it right and others do it wrong.
Old 14 May 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I'm not sure why you'd comment telling people it's strange the way they work holidays? Maybe I find it strange that you don't holiday with your whole family? If you do things differently that's fine but please don't try to put it down as you do it right and others do it wrong.
There really was no need for this comment at all. I understood that the ‘going away as a family’ bit was more to do with spending time together on holiday and for a Disney holiday it is normally a once in a lifetime trip for most and therefore the thought of a family splitting up to enjoy is strange to some.
Of course all families are different and I know if we went with ours I’d want to be in a separate park to a particular family member so don’t find it strange at all. But that’s a different story.

From history that can be googled tickets became non-transferable in 2004/5 at WDW, this is when the biometrics were being brought in. However, for the first few years it wasn’t exactly perfect and didn’t always work.
Prior to that people purchasing multi-day tickets or unused tickets would ‘share’, although Disney were not explicit in the T&C’s it was frowned upon and the systems were brought in place to prevent it and close the loophole. It was also to fall inline with a Florida law regarding ticket sharing to stop touting. So if done after that time it could be construed as cheating the system.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Cosworth
Apprentice Imagineer

I remember in the early 90's, Disney multi-day tickets were printed with the holders photograph on first use. This prevented anyone else using the ticket.
Cosworth is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
b00110908
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by TeeKayDawn View Post
There really was no need for this comment at all. I understood that the ‘going away as a family’ bit was more to do with spending time together on holiday and for a Disney holiday it is normally a once in a lifetime trip for most and therefore the thought of a family splitting up to enjoy is strange to some.
Of course all families are different and I know if we went with ours I’d want to be in a separate park to a particular family member so don’t find it strange at all. But that’s a different story.

From history that can be googled tickets became non-transferable in 2004/5 at WDW, this is when the biometrics were being brought in. However, for the first few years it wasn’t exactly perfect and didn’t always work.
Prior to that people purchasing multi-day tickets or unused tickets would ‘share’, although Disney were not explicit in the T&C’s it was frowned upon and the systems were brought in place to prevent it and close the loophole. It was also to fall inline with a Florida law regarding ticket sharing to stop touting. So if done after that time it could be construed as cheating the system.
Hi Teekay,
There was nothing bad meant by it - simply that people shouldn't comment on how other people want to holiday.
At times we've went with our extended family, around 30 of us, far too many for us all to do things together. It seems ludicrous that someone who has no knowledge of me or my family would want to criticise the way I'd want to holiday?
Old 14 May 20, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
TeeKayDawn
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Hi Teekay,
There was nothing bad meant by it - simply that people shouldn't comment on how other people want to holiday.
At times we've went with our extended family, around 30 of us, far too many for us all to do things together. It seems ludicrous that someone who has no knowledge of me or my family would want to criticise the way I'd want to holiday?
Then ignore the comment. I honestly do not think any ill will was meant, the suggestion was that if the full costs could not be met, then maybe going should be reconsidered. However, this was based on a knowledge that now ALL members (bar the under 3’s) require a ticket and perhaps the misconception that it was something that could be ‘got around’ now, which would be cheating the system.

Evidently you would not do this and with 30 members, I mean wow, I struggle controlling the tickets of me and DH.

But just to point out, you made a personal dig about this person being forum police, making judgements about you, but then proceeded to do retaliate.

I get where you are coming from but unfortunately those days are gone and I foresee even more ways of making money by Disney in the very near future for example highly inflated priced day tickets with no multi-park attached (probably wont happen due to uproar, but you see where I’m going), in order recoup the losses as a result of this virus.
TeeKayDawn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Can you show me please? ... been to Florida quite a few times and beg to differ
didn't see that thread.

Tickets are non transferable, and had to be used by the same person on all days, and they have been for a loooong looooong time.

they definitely were non transferable when you swithced between family members in the 90's

note that I don't judge or lecture, I'm just stating facts, and as to your question regarding if they would bring this back ... they sure won't, because it didnt't exist to begin with, unless you did cheat the system. And what you described IS cheating the system. Again, I'm not judging, I don't actually care what you do, did, or will do in the future. That's none of my business. This post is only to give the evidence you requested from another poster.

Allears has a wide selection of ticket pictures, and a history
here is a sample of tickets from the 90's, and as you may see on the left (front side) it does state "non transferable", and on the right (back of the ticket) it clearly says the ticket needs to be used by the SAME person on ALL DAYS
(picture, and link to webpage, credits to Allears)
allears/walt-disney-worl...world-tickets/

Edited at 10:04 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 May 20, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Back when I first started visiting Florida (~1995ish) we would go as a big family (10-15 of us).

We would buy 5 tickets for Disney and maybe 5 for Universal/SeaWorld/Wet'n'Wild (remember Wet'n'Wild?). Anyway, one day a few of us would go to Disney and a few of us would go to Universal, the next day we'd swap.

Then, theme parks introduced finger printing and it was game over (unless you had identical twins!)... if there were 10 of you, you'd need to buy 10 tickets for everything.
Given the current circumstances, do you think WDW/Universal will have to consider doing away with fingerprint checks? Could we see the days of pass sharing come back?
Well, back in those days you still weren’t supposed to swap tickets. The tickets were nontransferable. Only one person was supposed to use each ticket.

The whole reason they introduced finger scanners was to stop people breaking the rules. Not for the fun of it.

Therefore, even if they got rid of the finger scanners due to the current situation, it would still be against the rules to swap tickets. So you wouldn’t be able to do what you’re suggesting anyway, I’m afraid.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List