Old layout 119 81.51%
New layout 27 18.49%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2 Jun 20, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I haven't read all of the replies but I voted for the older version. That's because I am useless with technology. However I really appreciate all the work involved. The great thing is though if there is something I can't work out I know I can just ask and someone will point me in the right direction. So after writing all that I think whatever is easiest for admin is the best.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 20, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

I'm not bothered either way, I can still select threads I want to read, no troublesome changes, my ad-block still does what it says on the tin for the items I don't want to see. I've alwlays found the Dibb an easy site to navigate.

Take good care, stay safe Dibbers
Old 2 Jun 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post

I’ve got to say I use various forums for different things and I think the dibb mobile version is the best mobile version I’ve used, by some distance. I don’t use the desktop site very often and didn’t know the forum spy existed until today!

The changes are minor and make sense when I look at it.

I hope whatever changes come along, it keeps the easy to use mobile format.

Keep up the good work

Edited at 10:36 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SMAX View Post
I would like to know what you think is wrong with MSE. I don't use the site much but always thought the forums were clunky. The new style looks better.

Is it the style you don't like or the functionality? Is it on the desktop or mobile that you find MSE worse?

Some drill down of the issues could help us decide on what we do. All the big forums have gone over to Xenforo now. It seems to work well across desktop and mobile devices. One style that flows between all devices.
One of the biggest things I have notices on the new MSE site is how slow it is. Especially when going back to the list of threads. I think when hitting "back" on the old site, that's exactly what it did. I think the new site also does a refresh as well - hence takes longer. So I guess that would be considered functionally better. However, for me I would prefer the speed and no refresh.

I also prefer the compactness of the old site in terms of display. For example, on the DIBB, I get around 14 threads on the screen (laptop). This used to be similar on MSE, now I see 8 threads on average on MSE.

Marking forums as "read" is very simple on the current DIBB site and was similar on MSE. This is now much more clunky on MSE, having to go to your profile to do this (makes no sense at all).

Overall, the MSE site to me visually has gone form something slick and efficient to something akin to children's Duplo Lego.

However, on the other hand, it and the DIBB provide amazing resources to us all, so TBH., I wont stop using either. And maybe I shouldn't complain.

And maybe I am just a luddite that doenst like change

Do you know if the DIBB and old MSE sites use the same or similar platform?

Keep up the good work!

PS. I rarely use mobile devices to view forums so cant comment from that side.

Edited at 12:06 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Well, it's very different, in my opinion And it's nothing to do with it looking squashed on my mobile either as I've always viewed it on the fixed desktop style on my mobile, so I'm perfectly used to that.

The old version had columns and the information was separated more, whereas now it's just 1 column containing all the information, which makes it feel a bit like information overload to me. Plus there's now a very large 'shouty' font size for the thread title. A couple of screenshots taken from my desktop. Personally, I preferred having the information separated out, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

For anyone that would like to see them actually on their PC to compare, rather than as screenshots, then this is the old:https://web.archive.org/web/20190416...s/dibb_spy.php
This is the new: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/dibb_spy.php

Old version:

New version:
Same here, much preferred the old lay out on forum spy, using iPad and mobile in fixed desktop style, it's extremely " clunky " now and as you say all the information is overloaded in one column , I'm getting used to it and understand that changes have to be made but I don't like it at all.
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort

Edited at 01:06 PM.
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
One of the biggest things I have notices on the new MSE site is how slow it is. Especially when going back to the list of threads. I think when hitting "back" on the old site, that's exactly what it did. I think the new site also does a refresh as well - hence takes longer. So I guess that would be considered functionally better. However, for me I would prefer the speed and no refresh.

I also prefer the compactness of the old site in terms of display. For example, on the DIBB, I get around 14 threads on the screen (laptop). This used to be similar on MSE, now I see 8 threads on average on MSE.

Marking forums as "read" is very simple on the current DIBB site and was similar on MSE. This is now much more clunky on MSE, having to go to your profile to do this (makes no sense at all).

Overall, the MSE site to me visually has gone form something slick and efficient to something akin to children's Duplo Lego.

However, on the other hand, it and the DIBB provide amazing resources to us all, so TBH., I wont stop using either. And maybe I shouldn't complain.

And maybe I am just a luddite that doenst like change

Do you know if the DIBB and old MSE sites use the same or similar platform?

Keep up the good work!

PS. I rarely use mobile devices to view forums so cant comment from that side.

It looks like the new MSE site used vanillaforums.

Looking at some of the Xenforo platform forums like AVB, Macrumours etc, they looks pretty good.

Edited at 03:58 PM.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bullpeppar
Imagineer

Bullpeppar's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have always used the Forum Spy but find the new changes horrendous to look at - please bring the old one back.

The votes in this thread also says alot about the changes in general.

DLP-Santa Fe '01DLP-Cheyenne '03Quality Inn Jul'05 Oak Plantation Resort-Jul'07-3wksDLP-Sequoia Dec'08Hamlet Crt-Jul'09-3wksHamlet Crt,NY,HRH-Jul'11-3wksRPR & Rotonda-Jul'12 Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'13-3wksRPR,Hamlet Crt,Rotonda-Jul'14Watersong,RPR,Rotonda Jul'15-3 wksWatersong,RPR,Rotonda-Jul'17-3wks LGI, Watersong,RPR-July ‘19
Bullpeppar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I did vote old style, but have to say it’s great how Stu & Simon are responding to any issues we are having. As always, they do a fab job.
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
No really useful contribution to make really apart from the fact that although I'm a regular poster we haven't visited a WDW park since 2010 and never spent a single night in a Disney hotel.

So maybe it could be renamed "Florida Information Bulletin Board" then I can say that I've read dozens of Fibbers posts.

Maybe not

Mick
Old 4 Jun 20, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Mobile

I admit I’m not a fan of change - I remember years ago the menu changed from the left side of the screen to the right and it took me ages to get used to it, but it soon became second nature so I’m hoping these changes will too!
I’ll be honest though, I found the old look of the Forum Spy much easier on the eye - I do find that the most “annoying” change - but I understand the reasons behind it, so hoping I’ll get used to that too 😊

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread