Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 3 Jun 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

Mobile

It is prepaid until a point, then it becomes very cheap holidays.

I bought enough points for 2 weeks every other year for £6.5k at the moment two weeks at a cheaper DVC resort works out at £4.5k for a studio so in two holidays I have more than broke even then I get deluxe Disney accommodation for circa £400 a year in maintenance fees.

I would never pay those prices some people will say (including me) but even a value resort or a really nice of property resort is running at £2k for two weeks so even staying at values or off property I can break even at 3 trips.
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
meanwoodwhite
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Also everything in life is uncertain, I would'nt live my life like that.

I have been going to the US every year for 15 years now also lived in the US for 3 years. I can't think of life without my holidays to the states.

I now have a family of four so the trips are getting much more expensive, so I see DVC of almost securing my US holidays for decades. Without the need of having to stump up £5k+ every time we want to go to the US.
meanwoodwhite is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by Emily90 View Post
Just wondering what the advantage is of as they say 'prepaying for your holidays' - as DVC is not an investment.

My question is then, why pre pay when the future can be uncertain, i.e. losing your job, your health etc?

What benefit is there for people who buy DVC?

Thank you
I think each person has their own unique way of looking at their membership. I look at DVC as more of a gym membership. If you are going to go to a gym 10 times a month are you going to pay $10 per visit or $50 per month? As a member of the gym it becomes less expensive to use rather than paying per visit. My trips staying at DVC would not have happened without the DVC membership. Of course, I have bought all my points via resale so I don’t have to worry about buying Direct from Disney and then taking a hit later if I sell too quickly. My boys have gotten to experience savanna views at Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Tower stays and being able to walk to Magic Kingdom and they have experienced the pool at the Beach Club. If I were to sell my points I would be selling my properties for much more than I paid and if I were to take the time and do the math I am confident my stays were much less than paying cash for same stays.

I also have members who own twice as many points then they use. Example, they own 300 points at the Boardwalk. The dues on 300 points are currently $2,211. If they rent out 150 points through a rental company requiring no effort on their part they get $15.50 per point or $2,325 which covers their dues on all 300 points. Then they use their 150 points for their vacations and feel as if they are vacationing for free. These owners also feel by the time they go to sell they will be able to sell for more or at the least the same price they bought in so to them they feel the membership has given them “free” vacations to DVC for as long as they own.

Even if you look at a member who bought direct from Disney you can see all sorts of advantages to their membership. Say an owner bought directly from Disney in 2009 at Bay Lake Tower for around $95 per point and then used it for the last 11 years. They now contact me to sell because their kids are grown and they have moved on to something else. They are now selling for around $140 per point so that owner ends up getting some money back on what they put towards those 11 years of vacations. If they weren’t a member and did the same vacations the money would simply be gone.

I have been selling DVC since 2004 so I have thousands of great stories from members about their membership. Here is the most recent email from a former owner.

"We used it alot when my kids were small but as my kids entered HS and college our usage dropped way off and we began to rent our points - which as you know is about twice what you pay in dues, at least at OKW and VWL, so a nice return - I did that for probably 16 years and had a loyal following of families from Michigan (Ford) that spread my name around - I had to do little advertising, they would call me. Nice while it lasted but I'm glad to be done with it now, got all my money back plus 50% more overall - not to mention all those years of income - almost better than owning a home in 2009-2015 anyway.

Ok, thanks - appreciate the insight.

Bob"

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 3 Jun 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

We bought because we wanted to guarantee that we could stay in deluxe accommodation for 2-4 weeks per year (depending on the size of accommodation) Also because Disney prices are getting silly and are increasing each year, by purchasing DVC we have locked in a fixed price so all we have to worry about are flights and park tickets.
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I would say:

1) Remember it is not dead money. A lot of people think- 'Jeez it costs me $20k to buy in'- but you are buying deeded real estate and unless something catastrophic happens you will get something decent back- it has grown steadily in value over the last 25 years- be cautious about thinking it will grow in value, but it is not dead money.

2) Jason's philosophy above is very similar to my own- cannot or do not want to use it, I have rented my points with basically zero effort for a very nice return. That can and should be factored in, but like selling, should not be taken as a 'given' to see if you can afford it.

3) It is a luxury purchase so only buy on that basis. Only buy if you can afford it. Only buy it to spoil yourself by staying in Disney Deluxe. This very much depends on your mindset. Yes it is cheaper to go and stay in a value with a free dining plan, but a very different experience. Some may not think it is worth it, but some certainly do. It does not work for everyone.

4) Play it canny and do your research. Do not buy into any hype about Blue Cards etc- there may be a very good reason to buy direct but do your research.

5) Do not believe everything you read, most DVCers saying for example you cannot book at 7 months are trying to stay in studios, often in busy times at the most sought after resorts. For 1 beds for example, it is a very different situation.

6) Research until you can research no more and make a strategic purchase. Let the head rule the heart. An educated DVC owner is a very happy DVC owner as it is possible to know exactly what you are buying and exactly how you will use it before you buy.
Old 3 Jun 20, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
JasonErpelding
Excited about Disney
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
An educated DVC owner is a very happy DVC owner as it is possible to know exactly what you are buying and exactly how you will use it before you buy.
100% true in my opinion.

Jason Erpelding
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Buy and Sell DVC, Inc.®
Old 3 Jun 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

It's hard to see the value buying directly from DVC at the moment, I would def buy resale.

Remember depending how long you keep the contract, at some stage, it will be worth either a lot less or nothing, it cannot be seen as an investment, some resorts such as mine expire in 2042 or so, at some stage it will be seen as not worth buying into - by which time I would have had so much value out of it I really would not care.
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We bought originally back in 2002 and had quite an extensive spreadsheet that took into account all our costs, including rising dues with assumed inflation over the years, we worked out that for what it would cost us over 10 years we could still go every year for the same cost, but stay in a average hotel on idrive, buying DVC gave us deluxe Disney hotels.

Was a no brainer when we came to that realisation. We had no loan or interest to take into consideration, cost was significantly lower and the £ was a lot stronger so I've no idea what that spreadsheet would show now (it was my ex husband's tech, my spreadsheets are far more basic!) however.

All I can say is that despite my circumstances changing dramatically over the years and my then unborn baby and little girl now being 17 & 24, I've never regretted it for a second, we even added on again at CCV 2 years ago for the kids to have contracts to either use for themselves or sell on.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Ok before I start I will point out that we love our DVC but things to realise:
Unless you are staying at Deluxe now or want to in the future, it is not going to save you money, you can stay offsite for the same money as your dues without the big buy in.
You can get bigger accommodations offsite, for us we were "downsizing" to "just" the 2 of us so knew going forward that Studios would be enough
"Deluxe" is Disney Deluxe, having stayed at RPR a couple of times, I'd say it's a higher standard & that's Universal's "lesser" Deluxe
This is my opinion but once they have your money, then forget any incentives- Free Dining, no chance, free upgrades-hen's teeth- nothing like reading on the Dibb about people getting moved from Moderates straight into 1 beds at DVC resorts!
I'd say at some point most of us thought/believed that we were joining some sort of "Special Club" but once the rose tints are off ...

Our thought process on it is that we don't need to save additional funds to pay for rooms, so flight,passes & spends only- of course we still pay our Annual dues
We can stay onsite every trip- Currently pricing POFQ for 9 nights- £2300 but we can get 3 weeks at Vistana for way less( also the reason why I mentioned where you would normally stay when doing your sums) but we've been "brainwashed" by Disney that we must stay onsite!
More importantly we bought at $67.50! Personally I'd wait for the FX rate to move
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannah
Apprentice Imagineer

Hannah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

What happens when the contract runs out?
Hannah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List