Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Universal - high temp, can’t check in

Universal posted a video on Facebook today about the changes to their hotels. One of the changes they mentioned was that your temperature would be taken at check in, if it’s over 100.4 your would not be able to check in and stay at the hotel.

Where does this leave visitors from the uk / overseas? Where would we go?

We have all established that you can have a temp of over 100.4 without having coronavirus. I just don’t know what to make of this. Has anyone else seen the video? What do you think?

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Slore
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Wow. I don’t like the sound of that but I’ve just searched for the video and I can’t find it - is it on the Universal Orlando Resort page?
Slore is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

I saw it posted on the Universal website. That’s one of the many reasons I’m staying home this year.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Guessing Disney will do this too... the thought of turning away international guests must be their nightmare- can you imagine the press comments “British family turned away from their hotel room after 12 hour journey” etc. I’m sure they’d all rather we stayed away!
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
Mobile

I just can’t see a way around it all. I’m so pleased that places are taking precautions but how can we travel knowing we might be turned away because we have a fever?

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

I go on a couple of American FB pages and lots of them say they will take medication an hour before they arrive. (Their equivalent of paracetomol, I can't remember the name).
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
(Their equivalent of paracetomol, I can't remember the name).
paracetamol is Acetaminophen in the US

Originally Posted by offtoseemickey View Post
Where does this leave visitors from the uk / overseas? Where would we go?
well if your temperature was higher than 100.4 ... chances are you'll never make it to the hotel ... you'd be stopped long before that, and probably wouldn't make it out of the airport. And the Embassy would be your point of contact.

but, as to your question, it leaves us with the very big need to assess risks vs. benefit, and possibly consider not to go

ok, let's be honest, the temp check is just the end of a very long line (and you'll be tester also before entering the parks)
if we're worried about "what if I have a temperature above the limit" , first of all that rules out going for anyone with health condition which symptoms includ chronic higher than normal temperature (and, no, taking paracetamol is not the real answer)

but, what are we looking at here ?
If the health concerns are still strong enough so that our temperature is taken, so that capacity in parks are limited, so that there needs to be 2 meters between parties, and so many other restrictions that it would be tedious to list ... are we really wanting to ... travel to an airport, with many, many people, spend 12 hours on a plane, with quite a lot of people, arrive at a busy airport (where temp might also be checked, and that's assuming borders are open) ... and that's only then that you will be checked for temp at check in

some will consider the risk is worth it. Some will consider that, at every step along the way, there are reasons to question the risks vs. the benefits.
and, that's even before thinking about the limited and downsized contents in the parks and in orlando in general.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of assessing risks vs. benefits.
that's a choice we all make even before corona virus. If you want to see the risks at any point along the way (even showering before your flight is risky at that rate) then you won't be going anywhere at all.

As far as I'm concerend (was to fly august 8th) I considered it was not worth the risks (even if we were allowed to go re:borders and flights)

some may decide otherwise

the question you ask, where does it leave us

first of all, it leaves us with the choice to go or not to go
then if one was to be turned away due to failing a temp check, that would not be any different than what some families experience, when they discover their booking has not been passed through by an agent (scam, or good faith) or when the villa they have booked has been sold, or is unsuitable for a stay

Edited at 09:23 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Even in more usual times , families have had issues when a child has come out in measles and chickenpox rash in transit . The solution is to find a motel , leave kid in the car where they won’t be seen and check in.
However with a high temp you’d probably be please of any hotel bed to crash in anyway.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Some of us run hot...

My DD never has a temp below 38.3/100.9. I am going through menopause with the "power surges" that that brings

We will not be travelling anywhere for the foreseeable future I guess. I will not be seeking ways to circumvent the system. Self-medicating with paracetamol to get into a theme park or hotel or to travel abroad seems a bit over the top. I'd be more worried if they started taking your temperature before getting on the bus, or getting into the supermarket.

Holidays can go on hold.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
The solution is to find a motel , leave kid in the car where they won’t be seen and check in.
you can be quite sure, that, if borders reopen, the US administration will screen passengers for temperatures, (when the airline hasn't already integrated that check to their boarding procedures)

It will be difficult to avoid that check.
It would be a pity that one develops a fever on the road between the airport and their hotel.

the main issue, in my opinion, is not check in checks. Issues will arise much sooner than that.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List