Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 25 Oct 17, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Anyone driven from Miami to Orlando straight after their flight?

A flight into Miami looks like an option, but don't plan on staying. Would like to hit the road as soon as the hire car was sorted.

It looks like a 3hr+ drive, will have my partner a 11yr old and a 2yr old in tow.

Not sure I would regret those last 3 hours whilst doing it. Anybody else done this?

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
spear101
Earning More Ears

We did it last year and are doing it again next year. (5ad + 10+6yr)
Its a fairly boring straight road. We stopped half way for some food and to stretch legs, I was tired at the end, but it wasn't to bad.
spear101 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

We stayed over. Jetlag had us awake by 5am and we were in Orlando by 10. I’d do it the same way again. I wouldn’t want to get in the car and drive unless it was a very early arrival Into Miami.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Kinggie
Very Serious Dibber

Hi. We did it last year and doing it again next year.

Literally landed, got the car and drove off. Apart from getting lost in Miami and having a row with DH we made it in about 4 hours. Did a pit stop at a service halfway to get an energy drink and carried on.

I have to say we were absolutely exhausted by the time we got to Orlando but at least we were there and ready for our holidays.

On the way back we spent 3 nights in Fort Lauderdale but we flew back to London when we live in Liverpool and also drove straight out.

Shattering but doing it again next year so can't have been that bad.
Kinggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post

It took us just over 4 hours, a pretty monotonous non scenic drive from Miami to International Dr in Orlando. Personally I agree with BevS97, maybe best to stay overnight and you will probably be up at the crack of dawn anyway that first morning for an early dart. I did not have a SunPass in my car and was hit with big admin charges from the car rental company as a couple of Toll Plazas near Miami are now vehicle registration plate recognition only !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Pobbypaws
VIP Dibber

We did it in May this year and to be honest we personally wouldn't do it again. We did it as our flight was changed from MCO to Miami a couple of weeks before we flew - and our accommodation at Disney was already booked. Our flight to Miami was delayed by over an hour and then we queued for over 2.5 hours for our hire car (due to flight cancellations affecting all car hire companies) so it was gone 6pm when we finally left Miami (11pm UK time on our body clocks). DH drove and it took just over 4 hours - and there were points when I really didn't feel safe as we were both so tired. I've never been so glad to see a hotel when we arrived at AKL at gone 10pm Florida time!
Pobbypaws is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 06:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Worgie
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We stayed in Miami for a few days this year but next year we are driving straight up to Orlando on arrival. That said, we land about 2.30pm so not silly o'clock UK time.
As others have said, we drive from Manchester back to Gloucestershire when we fly home on an hour or so's sleep so not much difference.
Old 25 Oct 17, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
NCLRICH
Very Serious Dibber

NCLRICH's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've flown into Miami a couple of times now but have always stayed over in an airport hotel. Like others have said we were up very early and into Orlando before lunch.
Old 25 Oct 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Weve done it but it's hard work!
Its at least 4hrs, not 3. Youve also got to consider any delays which will push you back. We flew into Tampa once after a stop in Atlanta, landed about 10pm which we thoight would be ok for driving 2 hours down gulf coast except there was a storm so they wouldnt unload luggage! Ended up leaving airport at about 1am! To say we were tired was an understatement!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 17, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We flew into Miami and stayed over the night we arrived, we were all shattered and driving up wouldn't have been advisable! We stayed 5 mins from the airport and grabbed a McDonalds, the kids had a swim & we went to bed around 9.30pm and were up at 7 the next day, left Miami at 8.00am and stopped half way at Vero Beach for lunch, and arrived at 2,30pm. It was a nice drive up and were doing it the same way next year. The thing that works out better for us is that we fly the day before our Disney check in so driving up the next day doesn't impact on our actual holiday, if we were to fly to Orlando the same day as our Disney check in we probably wouldn't get to Disney till 5/6pm and would all be shattered, this way we can do a park on the day we arrive, even if is just for a few hours for using some fast passes! It works for us!

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List