Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Oct 09, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

Smoking @ DLP

Just wanted to post this to anyone thinking about wasting their money travelling to DLP.

We spent 7 days 6 nights at the davy crocket ranch the last week in September.

The cabin stank of smoke even though we told them we would not accept a smoked in cabin - they refused to move us and just left the windows open ...

While the windows where open all you could smell and breathe was smoke from the other cabins...

While in the parks we had to try and dodge the hot ends of these cigarettes let alone not breathing the digusting smoke...

There is 2 reasons why we will never return to DLP:

As I have said the smoke. The french and spanish dont breathe air they just chain smoke...to a point that I lost my temper with some of them and told them what I thought of them poisoning the air that my family and myself where breathing...Because of Disneys lack of enforcing the no smoking in the the park and only in smoking areas I will only be doing disney properly this time

Secondly - Pushing in...The spanish where the worst for this... While waiting for a parade we would find a decent spot early enough to be at the front - however the spanish think they can just push their spawn infront of you and yours - this time my partner told the parents of these brats where to get off...the last time when a 9 year old pushed infront of my 1 year old in her pram and made her cry because she couldnt see the characters!...

This is nothing compared to the pushing and shoving when a character arrives - the only way your going to get your kids picture taken is by pushing back at the idiots that have no concept of waiting...I have lost count of how many pictures where ruined by peoples arms etc being pushed into the frame...

So to be honest my family and myself feel cheated due to the fact the week was mostly spent fighting and coughing...

So Disney if you read this - sort out the Smoking and BAN IT and make people que for characters as fighting to get your picture taken is not fun...

Roll on Florida next year ! DLP never again
Old 12 Oct 09, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip - we recently came back and didn't have any issues with the smoking - people do smoke more on the continent but we found in all the queue areas and also anywhere indoors the ban was being well policed.

The Spanish are a law unto themselves with regard to queuing - I think they don't get the concept as we do so we just adopted the "if you can't beat them, join them" philosophy!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 05:42 AM  
Link to this Post
moolie19
Imagineer

moolie19's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I am really sorry you didnt enjoy your trip, dh and I love dlp. At the end of the day different countries have different customs and what we might see as rude they find perfectly acceptable.
moolie19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 08:14 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

The disney park I would imagine is aimed at families and children and as such smoking should not play any part in that.

My 5 year old got really upset with the place due to the pushing and smoking and if thats how DLP think the disney magic should be presented then its missing the point.

How can DLP get it so wrong when Disneyworld in Florida gets it so right?
Old 13 Oct 09, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
I have to say, we noticed the smoking more this time. But there were as many Brits smoking as any other nationality. I think the 'No smoking except in desginated areas' just isn't publicised enough, and certainly not enforced.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Having got back last week I can honestly say I never experienced any problems with the smoking in the parks - I didn't even notice it. I also didn't experience any of this queue jumoing and pushing I had read a lot about - everyone behaved fairly well, although I would agree that the character meet and greets are a bit of a free for all.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Just seen Earthbound's comment on another thread about 'Britain easing towards virtually smoke-free air'. All I can say is, can I move to where Earthbound lives?

Since the smoking ban it is virtually impossible to walk down any street in my area without having to breathe someone's smoke. Every shopping street, every residential street is full of people wafting their smoke about.

Perhaps that's why I noticed it was the Brits as much as anyone else - they perhaps didn't realise, and were behaving as they would do outdoors at home.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by baldybouncer View Post
Just wanted to post this to anyone thinking about wasting their money travelling to DLP.

We spent 7 days 6 nights at the davy crocket ranch the last week in September.

The cabin stank of smoke even though we told them we would not accept a smoked in cabin - they refused to move us and just left the windows open ...

While the windows where open all you could smell and breathe was smoke from the other cabins...

While in the parks we had to try and dodge the hot ends of these cigarettes let alone not breathing the digusting smoke...

There is 2 reasons why we will never return to DLP:

As I have said the smoke. The french and spanish dont breathe air they just chain smoke...to a point that I lost my temper with some of them and told them what I thought of them poisoning the air that my family and myself where breathing...Because of Disneys lack of enforcing the no smoking in the the park and only in smoking areas I will only be doing disney properly this time

Secondly - Pushing in...The spanish where the worst for this... While waiting for a parade we would find a decent spot early enough to be at the front - however the spanish think they can just push their spawn infront of you and yours - this time my partner told the parents of these brats where to get off...the last time when a 9 year old pushed infront of my 1 year old in her pram and made her cry because she couldnt see the characters!...

This is nothing compared to the pushing and shoving when a character arrives - the only way your going to get your kids picture taken is by pushing back at the idiots that have no concept of waiting...I have lost count of how many pictures where ruined by peoples arms etc being pushed into the frame...

So to be honest my family and myself feel cheated due to the fact the week was mostly spent fighting and coughing...

So Disney if you read this - sort out the Smoking and BAN IT and make people que for characters as fighting to get your picture taken is not fun...

Roll on Florida next year ! DLP never again
Hi.

We had a bad time there too www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=314083

Luckily, after that letter of complaint, we are going back for free

As for the smoking, until Disney really enforce it I don't think there will be any change soon. I am a smoker but I will always use designated areas out of respect for non smokers but more so for children... i've seen it all too often... a child being hit in the face by a burning cigarette end.

Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
babybelle
Apprentice Imagineer

babybelle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4
OMG - just as well we have never been to DLP. Middle DD HATES smoking and often voices her opinion on this.

We stood beside one of the designated smoking areas by mistake in MK and she let rip really loudly 'Why are these people allowed to smoke here, this is Disney, it shouldnt be allowed, its disgusting...'

She would go spare if she saw folk smoking around the park
1993 - Comfort Suites, Kissimmee;1994 - Howard Johnson Foutain Park, Kissimmee;1998 - Four Points Sheraton, Kissimmee;2003 - Vistana Villages & Wedding - Cypress Grove; 2006 - Springhill Suites; 2007 - private villa; 2009 - 3 weeks for Christmas in Orlando; 2014 - Beach Club Villas
babybelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 09, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
baldybouncer
slightly serious Dibber

I am serious when I say this - If disney gave us a free trip back to DLP I would still not go back - my health is more important to me... on the way home all 4 of us (including my 5 year old and 1 year old) had sore throats from all the smoke.

Seriously if you dont smoke and dont like breathing in other peoples do not waste your money - save it and go to florida.

Just found this waste of time:

Quote:

From 1st April 2008, the two theme parks of Disneyland Resort Paris will officially be smoke-free zones. No smoking will be allowed in any restaurants, attractions or queue lines — not even in the streets.

But smokers… no need to fret. Because instead, the two parks will follow their US counterparts by introducing airport-style “designated smoking areas” in secluded corners of each land.

This news, first rumoured several months ago, follows the introduction of a complete “smoking ban” throughout most public buildings in France last year, when England notably also joined the rest of the United Kingdom for a similar ban. Disneyland Resort Paris have wasted no time in taking advantage of this new-found French distrust of the smoker, banning smoking throughout all restaurants several years ago and now confirmed, from April this year, to be taking the brave step to outlaw to designated corners the legions of smokers amongst the millions who visit the parks each year.

Each park will have at least one Smoking Area in each land — 10 in Disneyland Park and 4 at Walt Disney Studios Park. The full locations list, as first confirmed by member HTH2004 on Disney Central Plaza forum via the new park maps for the April season, is as follows (and we’ve created a couple of maps to help illustrate the expected locations) :

Edited at 10:54 AM.
baldybouncer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread