Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Jan 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Austin Grand Prix anyone been?

Hi everyone

Just looking for some recommendations for places to stay in and around Austin if we’re planning to attend the Grand Prix. Not bothered about being close to the circuit, hotels there probably sold out anyway, but I’d be interested in any experiences of staying in Austin and transportation to and from the race.

I’ve been looking at the usual hotel chains, Airbnb and Homeaway but always like some personal recommendations 😊

Thank you!
Old 31 Jan 20, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Wow, have an amazing time.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Feb 20, 01:27 AM  
Link to this Post
itz_baseline
Excited about Disney

Would also like to know this. We are trying to do an F1 GP per year over the next few years... going to Singapore GP this year but thinking about Austin next year so interested in starting to plan.
itz_baseline is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
The Muppets
Very Serious Dibber

We were at the Austin GP last year.
As a group of 6 we rented a home in the Boulder Creek area for the 4 days we were there. It was within walking distance of a few restaurants including Terry Blacks.
Some flew into Austin but we flew into Houston and drove over as we’d been in Miami before hand.
Anything else just ask
The Muppets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 20, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mrblack
a Friend of the DIBB

Mobile

We went to the GP in 2018. We picked an airbnb for 4 people that was in downtown Austin and was about £200 cheaper between us then hotel. The owner then cancelled for no reason, guessing they realised it was the GP weekend. Booked with another owner which turned out to be an even better location. No cheaper than a hotel for the 4 of us but it did mean we could spend time together outside of the track and had a full kitchen too.

When we went there wasn't anything very close to the track so I wouldn't have wanted to stay there personally. Took about 40 minutes each way on the shuttle bus from downtown to the track. We paid extra for the shuttle that dropped you right by the gate so it was only a couple of minutes walk to the entrance. I think it was about $100 a person for a 3 day shuttle pass. All purchased via either formula 1 or COTA.
mrblack is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

We went in 2018

We stayed at Embassy Suites San Marcos and it was about 30 mins drive to the track.
Nice hotel and good access to the track from this side.

We were visiting wife's family in Southern Indiana and flew into Houston for the 4 days for the race, Houston flights were considerably cheaper than Austin.

Ticket prices were a lot more expensive than we were expecting ! We previously went to the F1 at Indianapolis circa 2002 and were paying no more than $100 per ticket, I think we paid circa $450 per ticket. It just shows how they are fleecing Formula 1 Spectators as when Indy Car is at Austin First Corner Grandstand Tickets are $129 and the same seats for the F1 are circa $500.

We were unlucky as the weather was bad and the car parks were like a Wet Silverstone, Sat & Sun were sunny but not hot !

You could not take ANY food or drink in with you and had to pay their elevated prices.

The seats we had in the first corner grandstand had a great view but not sure we would go back again just because of the costs !

I managed to purchase tickets direct from the circuit before they went on sale, I can give you email address's of the sales guys at COTA if you message me.
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

We went 2017, we did a road trip around part of Texas for 10 days, we were in Austin for 3 days. Saw qualifying and race day, as it was the busiest and most expensive part of our trip (hotels more expensive that weekend, college football was on too so manic) we booked a cheap Super 8 motel, was perfect. Clean room, good breakfast, and we were barely in it as we had long days. We hired a car so I can’t even remember how far it was but COTA is kind of the outskirts anyway you’d be driving or catching the bus shuttle.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

We had general admission tickets, I believe we paid $440 for the whole weekend for 2 of us. Had the freedom to move around the track, we got camp chairs from wal mart.
GoldenAvalanche is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
GoldenAvalanche
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh and I recommend looking at Singapore airlines into Houston from manchester, was cheap when booked and lovely airline.