Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 28 Feb 20, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Any tips for Amsterdam

Visiting Amsterdam next Saturday just a quick two day trip, any must see's? we have Anne Frank booked and I want to do the A'dam look out if I can persuade other half to do it. Anything else I should be doing ?

thanks in advance
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

from an older thread...

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
personally, i wouldnt bother with the anne frank house. far too crowded, touristy and claustrophobic.

go see body worlds, or the banksy exhibit at MOCO if its still on (i think it finishes at xmas). or have a space cake and go wander round the rijksmuseum for a day

if heights don't bother you, try the lookout observation deck/swing at dam nord, then go for a posh meal at restaurant moon in the same building (its a revolving restaurant at the top of the building)

adamlookout/

if its a nice day, have a wander through vondelpark, or see if theres any events in museumpark - when we went a few months ago, they have an extreme sports/skateboarding festival on which was a nice way to waste a few hours!

finally, if you like ribs, you *have* to go to cafe de klos. seriously some of the best ribs i've *ever* had! you have to book in advance, but if you dont mind waiting a little while, go there and book, then go to the bar over the road and sit and have a beer, and they will come get you when your table is ready (and you can take your drink over with you!)
tripadvisor/Restau..._Province.html

hth
oh, also, for a sweet treat, go to metropolitan on warmoestraat. so much better than all the other places in the area we went to... ended up going there most days for an ice cream and some other bits...

tripadvisor/ShowUs..._Province.html
they do pancakes and waffles and other stuff too!

my photo of the counter: tripadvisor/ShowUs...regationId=101

try the poffertjes and stroopwafels (and/or a liege waffle) instead of traditional crepes though. maybe with a dollop of ice cream on top
some previous threads:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1159186
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1149531
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1133627
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

We enjoyed the bus/boat tour. The Vegan Junk Food Cafe. The Museums. Eldest DD has just visited and went to the Heineken Experience, Museum of prostitution and the Ice Bar, she said they were all good.
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
hols2florida
Very Serious Dibber

I went recently. We went to Anne Frank’s house & museum, I found it really interesting. We also did a canal cruise, sex museum, coffee shops & bars. Really enjoyed the weekend. Very relaxed, no need to get dressed up (we spent the weekend in jeans & trainers).

Edited at 10:05 AM.
hols2florida is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 05:59 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We did a Pure Boat Trip, it is a small boat and they provided drinks and nibbles and was way better than the large tourist boats.
We also did the Amsterdam Beer Tour - four bars and a free T-shirt at the final one.
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
SuziQz
VIP Dibber

We did a canal trip with Those Dam Boat Guys. Small open boats (they carry umbrellas) for up to about 10 people. You can take your own food and drink and they will take you to see whatever you want and talk about a multitude of topics.

I can’t remember the name of the guy we had but he was originally from South Africa so very knowledgeable about the historical links. We had a great time.
2019 DCL - Northern Europe
2020 YC/HRH - delayed to 2022
2021 DCL - 4 night Staycation
2022 YC/HRH v2!, 2023 DCL - Alaska
2024 DCL - Spain
SuziQz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinker-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

Go to winkle 43...best apple pie you will ever taste. They also do lovely breakfasts. People travel from all around the world to get their apple pie and I was lucky to have a slice.. or 2 a few weeks ago!
It is right round the corner from anne frank museum in jordaan xx
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We enjoyed Anne Frank house, glad we booked tickets. The queue was long but they got everyone in quickly. We did a boat trip which we enjoyed.

We had our two sons with us who were aged 12 & 14 so we were careful with where we were strolling but loved the whole atmosphere of the city. Great place!
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

Eat a super stroopwafel

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinker-mum
Getting Excited

Mobile

Also forgot to add go to albert cyup market
It is the biggest outdoor market in Europe..or it was.
Full of lovely food, flowers, handmade goods, fabric, bags etc

In spring and summer there is also blomenmarket..or flower market x