Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Feb 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Fordie
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
The two occasions I've been (last year and the year before) I've been asked how much cash I have, perhaps because I travel solo.
I think I’ve been asked a couple times in maybe 9-10 flights so it’s not always an obvious question over the usual what you here for, how long you staying. But I guess it depends on who’s working that day.

24th June-8th July 2010 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
27th July-17th August 2011 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
1st September-12th September 2012 (Las Vegas Baby!)
3rd September-1st October 2013 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th January-9th January 2014 (New York City)
2nd September-30th September 2015 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th September-4th October 2017 (Walt Disney World)
3rd September-25th September 2018 (Los Angeles & Las Vegas)
Fordie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

The 8059B referred to earlier is the old white customs form, which had a yes/no question for have you got over 10K. It was worded as "I am (we are) carrying...", so that if you filled out the one joint form, it became 10k between you.
Since they did away with that form they will either rely on the officer checking, or you may have an obligation to declare it. I suspect that if you're marginally over and there's 2 of you, the officer will treat it as separate forms as it's less hassle.

The ESTA is a completely separate process to the customs declaration. It is all about requesting permission to travel to the US. ESTA's are all applied for and issued individually, although they do allow you to group individual applications for the purpose of paying for a few at once in a single transaction.
Old 29 Feb 20, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Personally I’d never travel with that amount of cash.
Usually it 2 or 3 hundred dollars between the two of us, then the rest on CCs ( which we have three, in case of problems with the first one.
My reasoning is that if the cash was lost, stolen, burnt etc, I’ve lost it all.
But if the same happens to a CC then it’s the banks problem, not mine.
It happened to me in Brazil. I had a brand new card compromised in the hotel on its first use. Barclaycard had a new one delivered to me in my hotel within 24 hrs, and was given a cash float immediately from the hotel that was covered by Barclaycard, until the new card arrived.
If it was cash, basically I would have been in a foreign country withno means ofgetting anything.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Mobile

We are never wealthy enough to have 10k in cash but I watch far too many borderforce Canada and USA to see how many people actually don’t declare and the grilling they get and possibly seizure of money at the end 😃
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Cash declaration exists at £10,000 when leaving the UK as well. That is per family or group traveling.

gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk

Although the link saying bringing it in when you clock it goes on to talk about the link leaving as well. It’s there as part of money laundering prevention and under Proceeds of Crime Act. Most people will be able to prove they have their money from legitimate means but seizure of cash does happen outbound as well as inbound. Actually POCA Provisions allow seizure of cash over £1000 if it’s suspected of being linked to criminal enterprises. It’s a very powerful piece of legislation.

Edited at 10:31 AM.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:22 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Fordie View Post
It never leaves my sight just incase. We’ve been fortunate and flown upper on virgin so I keep it in storage above me or next to me on the plane.
I seem to get a better exchange rate this way by taking it in cash over the currency cards. If it was all the same rates I’d change it up
Hi Fordie - when we carried cash it was in Eagle Creek body belts. You/your family group may bring more than $10k into the US but declare it to the admitting immigration officer, who may refer you to Secondary where you will complete form FinCEN Form 105 (click HERE)

Have a smashing holiday Fordie
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:25 AM  
Link to this Post
oakleydokey
Looking for my Ears

Thank God for Mick / Joan!
oakleydokey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 05:36 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by oakleydokey View Post
Aww, don't do that OD, our Gadgey Mick will be quantity surveying his brain now (I'm gonna pay for this one... again!)
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by oakleydokey View Post
Welcome to the DIBB

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Aww, don't do that OD, our Gadgey Mick will be quantity surveying his brain now (I'm gonna pay for this one... again!)
You have seen my posts on here then. That's encouraging. For a while I thought they'd they'd become invisible?

Retired four years ago from 50+ years as a QS bonny lass that's why I never answer any building questions.

Mick

Edited at 09:40 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Mar 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Fordie
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Fordie - when we carried cash it was in Eagle Creek body belts. You/your family group may bring more than $10k into the US but declare it to the admitting immigration officer, who may refer you to Secondary where you will complete form FinCEN Form 105 (click HERE)

Have a smashing holiday Fordie
So we just fill the form in that’s it? Will I need to show proof of where it came from?
We just don’t want to be randomly selected and then we said no on the declaration...

24th June-8th July 2010 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
27th July-17th August 2011 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
1st September-12th September 2012 (Las Vegas Baby!)
3rd September-1st October 2013 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th January-9th January 2014 (New York City)
2nd September-30th September 2015 (Walt Disney World Orlando)
4th September-4th October 2017 (Walt Disney World)
3rd September-25th September 2018 (Los Angeles & Las Vegas)
Fordie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List