Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Feb 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
I'm shocked at the attitude on here. The kids are sacrificing a day of their education, because it's that important. I personally would have been striking if I'd been a child in Bristol. I greatly valued my education, I wanted to do well and get good grades and go to university. The thing with political action is that its ignored if it's not disruptive. I think the school strikes have helped keep the climate emergency front and centre in the press and in politics. I've been an environmentalist for nearly 30 years. My school textbooks were warning of environmental catastrophe in the 90s. We need to keep taking action. Individuals can't fix this, government action is essential.
Totally agree, I applaud them!
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
In the UK most flights are taken by people flying multiple times a year. Taxation that increases on every flight with exceptions for those on remote islands seems the most progressive solution.
Agree. It looks like our Government will take steps on this by banning frequent flyer clubs and higher taxes on certain flights
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
Nope - Greta can carry on over here, she's doing a grand job.

Someone else can take up that gauntlet - how many of the world's burdens do you want to put on those young shoulders.

sorry - edit to add - just because she is doing something, it does not mean she needs to do everything.
Yes let the world governments sort it out !

She transformed college green yesterday :

Coming to a town near you soon : Greta and her gang will change your environment ...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I don’t know why some people feel so threatened by young people having a social and political voice.

We see plenty of criticism that the young are too materiastic, rude, loud, won’t get off of gadgets, don’t engage etc. Yet when they do, they get sneered at, told they’re being brainwashed etc.

Perhaps it’s not the views they’re holding that’s the problem?

Edited at 10:53 AM.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

So, Greta wants the whole world to become vegan to ‘save’ the planet. We will have no need for cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, they will become extinct. No more grazing and fertilizing the land. The natural microorganisms that thrive on this and provide nutrients to the soil will also, in time, be gone. Soil will become dead and barren and be unable to produce the amounts of plants needed to feed millions of people.
But I’m sure she’s thought about all this and has a ‘plan’.🙄
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
I don’t know why some people feel so threatened by young people having a social and political voice.

We see plenty of criticism that the young are too materiastic, rude, loud, won’t get off of gadgets, don’t engage etc. Yet when they do, they get sneered at, told they’re being brainwashed etc.

Perhaps it’s not the views they’re holding that’s the problem?
I’m not threatened by it at all. I find it amusing she sneers at people too.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
So, Greta wants the whole world to become vegan to ‘save’ the planet. We will have no need for cows, pigs, sheep, chickens, they will become extinct. No more grazing and fertilizing the land. The natural microorganisms that thrive on this and provide nutrients to the soil will also, in time, be gone. Soil will become dead and barren and be unable to produce the amounts of plants needed to feed millions of people.
No one is suggesting the whole world goes vegan. Its pretty unlikely isn't it! But we can't continue to consume more and more meat. Its simply not sustainable. If a significant number of the population became vegan it would help reduce carbon emissions.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I think she started the process at college green - not one blade of grass left ... The XR peaceful protest (yeah right ) at Trinity college also destroyed the grass - what has the poor grass done to anyone?
Old 29 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I think she started the process at college green - not one blade of grass left ... The XR peaceful protest (yeah right ) at Trinity college also destroyed the grass - what has the poor grass done to anyone?
Its more or less impossible to kill grass. Show us a picture at Easter
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Climate action movement is a conduit from the establishment to the general public.
Not the other way around.
Like all political ideologies they sow the seeds of their doctrine by targeting the younger generation.
Reducing resistance to enviro-fascism and increasing acceptance of eco-taxation.

Across the Western world there are legions of teenage climate change activists whom, like Greta, warn of the problem whilst suggesting no solution.

A corollary of this is a rise in mental health issues such as climate anxiety and saviour fixation.

Many younger people are working towards solving the problem. My daughter is studying Biology with the aim to work in this field.

Although I would argue that it’s all generations who should be concerned and working together to enforce governments and businesses to make the changes needed.

Of course this is causing many teenagers stress and anxiety, it’s their future. By being pro-active though, they are feeling they are making a difference which is good for their mental health
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List