Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 21 Feb 20, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I don't know if anyone else has read this article. It theorises why they've been using the boarding group approach: themeparktourist/fea...se-resistances
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Em4owen View Post
I don't know if anyone else has read this article. It theorises why they've been using the boarding group approach: themeparktourist/fea...se-resistances
Thanks for sharing, it was a really interesting article to read. Essentially the writer is trying to explain how they feel Disney have attempted to level the playing field. I'm not a fan of the idea of just moving it to stand by as I know that our families tolerance of waiting in line is about 45 minutes, MAX so we'd never get on it. The selfish part of me would love it to go to FP as with a longer stay we have a real advantage over all the other guests, many of us Brits have benefited from this with multiple FOP FP per trip due to our longer stays. But it does mean that there are people who would be disappointed and the article does make a good point about what would happen when the ride inevitabley goes down.

Like I said it was fascinating to read, so thanks for posting

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

I find the advice given to op strange, this wasn’t our experience at all.

We rode the day before your initial attempt. Both dh and I tried to get a bp, dh on WiFi and me on 4G. The WiFi worked much quicker. As soon as he got in I stopped trying. He selected all of us which took a fraction of a second and got group 44.

My advice would be to have everybody in your party with a device try to get a bp and as soon as someone selects the join button the others can stop.

It really doesn’t take any longer to hit select all to get your group all in, I guess the only difficulty would be if the group is large and you don’t want all selected.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
CABLECAR1974
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Bellasmummy View Post
Both dh and I tried to get a bp, dh on WiFi and me on 4G. The WiFi worked much quicker. As soon as he got in I stopped trying. He selected all of us which took a fraction of a second and got group 44.
Do you think you might have been closer to a wifi hotspot? In which case . where?

This is the first wifi over data success I've seen. Can anyone else give an old and confused bloke any hope ?
CABLECAR1974 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CABLECAR1974 View Post
Do you think you might have been closer to a wifi hotspot? In which case . where?

This is the first wifi over data success I've seen. Can anyone else give an old and confused bloke any hope ?
We were on the approach to ToT outside the shops on the right by the first bench.

Tbh mde has been so slow this week both on WiFi and 4G I’ve been flitting between the two when trying to get additional fp and it’s just been pot luck which is working better.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
This is not true. My DH was added to my Boarding Pass. We were advised not to go to the nearest Guest Relations - we went to the end of the street - this is where we were told exactly what to do.

When we were queuing for Slinky Dog - a family of 8 all took off their magic bands and the Dad went and got them added to the Boarding Pass. They cheered on his return. The family in front of us were a party of 5 - only Grandad got the boarding pass and his family were also added.

The advice I have given is exactly what the senior cast member has been told to tell guests that are standing in the guest experience line.
So they MUST have been in the park but showing as NOT been in the park when the first person tried to add them otherwise everyone would be doing it this way. This is a known problem where this happens.

If it worked for you well done but I would not depend on doing it this way.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Em4owen View Post
A fantastic article and its argument shows Disney are doing the right thing, and boarding passes are unlikely to go away. It is a the fairest lottery available.

From a personal perspective I hope they have two release slots when the capacity is consistently larger ie opening time and early afternoon.

Also I expect they will have a paid extra hours event where its open to be ridden when they have the reliability sorted out.
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
baggies
Very Serious Dibber

baggies's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I understand why the advice to OP was to do this as each boarding group as a fixed number of people, therefore as with a FP+ booking a 1 person request is easier to slot in sooner than an 8 person request.

BUT for this very reason this advice is totally screwing up the boarding groups, ie if a boarding group is 1000 slots and all are allocated, but if only 10%, 100 people, add 3 other people onto the group cos they were in the park, and now the 1000 boarding group is 1300, this will blow the capacity of the ride very quickly.

This is not sustainable and I hope Disney do not make this the norm, but have the option available as an exception when people in the park are not showing.
Oct 2005 DLP Newport Bay Hotel
May 2004 i-Drive, Oct 1995 i-Drive
baggies is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Figment089
VIP Dibber

Can I just ask how the process works for joining a boarding group, if you are are a family of four?
Can you not select all four people to join a boarding group together, do you need to add each person one by one, surely then your party would be split into different boarding groups?

Also we travel august/ into September, is this likely to be in place when we visit?

Thanks

POFQ - Nov 2013
POFQ - May 2016
POR / RPR - Oct 2017
ASMu - Aug 2022
POFQ - Aug 2023
ASMu / AKV - Nov 2024
New DVC owner at AKV
Figment089 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Holly's-mummy View Post
Can I just ask how the process works for joining a boarding group, if you are are a family of four?
Can you not select all four people to join a boarding group together, do you need to add each person one by one, surely then your party would be split into different boarding groups?

Also we travel august/ into September, is this likely to be in place when we visit?

Thanks
You can 'select all' immediately after tapping to join boarding group
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List