Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Feb 20, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Protest or strike isn’t the issue for me - the heart of this is young people demonstrating their depth of feeling for an issue that causes them huge concern. Good on them, stay safe.
So why don’t they do it at the weekend? It would be more meaningful if they did as it would look less like they are simply wanting a day out of school.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
So why don’t they do it at the weekend? It would be more meaningful if they did as it would look less like they are simply wanting a day out of school.
I asked the same earlier.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Many of those attending today will be primary and secondary school students, not old enough to frequent student bars, so they would be sober enough to protest on a Sunday morning.

The point of the protest is to garner as much support and exposure as possible, Friday afternoon ensures weekend news news reports regarding the success of the event and the commitment of those in attendance.

These events have always been call Strikes.

And for those smugly pleased because of the inclement weather and the idea of thousands of children being soaked, remember that this weather is causing towns to be flooded, roads to be damaged and people to lose their home and livelihood, all results of Climate Change.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
Many of those attending today will be primary and secondary school students, not old enough to frequent student bars, so they would be sober enough to protest on a Sunday morning.

The point of the protest is to garner as much support and exposure as possible, Friday afternoon ensures weekend news news reports regarding the success of the event and the commitment of those in attendance.

And for those smugly pleased because of the inclement weather and the idea of thousands of children being soaked, remember that this weather is causing towns to be flooded, roads to be damaged and people to lose their home and livelihood, all results of Climate Change.
Thats right we never had floods or bad weather until recent times...

and gridlocking a city on a friday afternoon causing massive congestion helps how exactly ?

awareness you will say .. who dosnt know we need to do something but this cant be achieved overnight, we cant just turn off all the coal powered power stations they need to be replaced & phasing out... this will take decades & plans are afoot...

we have XR up here at the minute occupying a open cast site , its been shut down & the men all laid off... fact is we still need coal and the company has now said they will have to import from Russia / Australia ... how does that help ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

As I mentioned earlier, the strike wouldn’t cause as much public awareness on a Sunday. The whole point is to raise awareness not to gain a day out of school. I think it shows the commitment and concern these children have to gather today in these weather conditions.

My DD said it’s tipping down, very cold and windy in Bristol this morning but at 9.30 there was already a huge crowd of children and parents gathered even though Greta isn’t due until 11am.

I think this shows how worried they are about their future. It’s sad that not everyone seems as concerned 😔
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
Thats right we never had floods or bad weather until recent times...

and gridlocking a city on a friday afternoon causing massive congestion helps how exactly ?

awareness you will say .. who dosnt know we need to do something but this cant be achieved overnight, we cant just turn off all the coal powered power stations they need to be replaced & phasing out... this will take decades & plans are afoot...

we have XR up here at the minute occupying a open cast site , its been shut down & the men all laid off... fact is we still need coal and the company has now said they will have to import from Russia / Australia ... how does that help ?
That is shocking NC - but some will describe the XR activities as 'progressive'.

Flooding issues have actually improved recently in my area due to preventative actions taken - the flooding has been constant since the days of King Alfred and prior - nothing at all to do with Climate Change.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I prefer to focus on the issue rather than their motive.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Good - I wholeheartedly support and applaud them for caring about the environment. if i was in school I would be among them. Just a shame some feel the need to sneer at them.

Part of the point of a strike is to create disruption in order to make people take notice. I'd much rather see people striking for climate change rather than because their pay rise was 0.1% below inflation. They've certainly got their priorities right

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by vowels View Post

Having had a house with over 6ft of water running through it a few years ago I'm aware of the fact, housing is needed, flood plains are needed, something needs to happen to keep up with demand but that opens a whole can of whoop ass... climate change damage has already been done, I alone probably contributed with all the hairspray from an aerosol I used in the 80s... being flippant... No not aware so much then as now, people marching isn't the right way to go about it really, the damage is done and can it be reversed, things can be done to help I agree but what... This needs major funding into making things better for when I've long shuffled off this earth, if I look at it like that it makes a march seem a bit... Meh.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
That is shocking NC - but some will describe the XR activities as 'progressive'.

Flooding issues have actually improved recently in my area due to preventative actions taken - the flooding has been constant since the days of King Alfred and prior - nothing at all to do with Climate Change.
Obviously we have always had flood events but the science says that these events are becoming more frequent and more extreme.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List