Old 3 Aug 14, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Alison
Excited about Disney

Alison's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Having a Whale of a Time Day2 - Disney Wonder Alaska 2013

Sunday 19th August - All Aboard!

Today is mainly written by Nigel - I have added the parts in italics!

After a restless night I finally woke up at 5.30 and decided to go and watch the Wonder come in to port. I had read that it was due in at 6.10 but it finally arrived at 6.40.

Reflections of Vancouver by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Here she comes! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Two in a row by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Wonder arrives by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Having taken a few photos, I headed back to the hotel room where Alison dispatched me to buy a couple of coffees from the Starbucks located at the bottom of the hotel.

Canada Place at dawn by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We had a leisurely wake up, Stephen finally emerging at 8.30 complaining that he had hardly slept! After pottering around we headed out to find some breakfast.

The Drop and Disney Wonder by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We found a nice Dutch restaurant on the seafront called De Dutch. Stephen and I had ‘inside pancakes’ with bacon (have no clue what these are now – that’s what comes of writing this a year later!) and Alison had Dutch toast.

Disney Wonder by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Donald by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We watched some of the cargo being loaded on – hundreds of pineapples!

Cargo by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Afterwards we went back to the hotel, completed packing and went down the lifts to the cruise terminal.

Canada Place by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Customs and check in took no time at all and we soon found ourselves sitting in the terminal with boarding number 3 – yay!

Welcome Aboard by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Stephen went to have his photo taken with Captain Mickey.

Meeting Captain Mickey by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Shortly after 11.45 we were called for boarding. A quick photo later and it was time for Disney Cruise Line to welcome us on board! Can’t beat that magical feeling as they announce your name and the crew applaud! We stopped for a minute to get our breath and look at the atrium – much smaller than on the Dream but no less beautiful. We headed down to Wavebands to change our Palo brunch as it clashed with our character breakfast and to book the mixology class.

Lunch was a pleasant affair in Beach Blanket Buffet, although we couldn't find the specials counter till we were on desserts.

Lunch in Vancouver by makingplansfor, on Flickr

It was lovely to be on board the Wonder but still be surrounded by the sparkling towers and tall mountains of Vancouver.

First ice cream by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Funnel by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We then explored the ship which we found much easier and quicker to get around than the Dream. Stephen explored the Edge, I beat him at table football and both Alison and Stephen attempted to play table tennis.

Wonder at Canada Place by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Blankets by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Table football by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Mouse welcome by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Chandelier by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We returned to our stateroom and found one case had been delivered which we unpacked.

Our stateroom by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Tat is our Castaway Club gift on the bed - a rucksack, keyring and some nibbles. We had chosen an inside stateroom – we only intended to sleep there and knew there would be plenty of viewing spaces on deck during the week. However, we had chosen our room carefully – we were only a couple of rooms away from the secret deck on deck 7, which we could pop to for quiet viewing time or to take a quiet cup of coffee. We had another wander around the Wonder.

Chandelier close-up by makingplansfor, on Flickr

View from above by makingplansfor, on Flickr

I took my beer glass from the last cruise and made friends with Hansel from Mexico at the bar by the pool.

First beer by makingplansfor, on Flickr

It was then time for the mandatory drill. Our muster point was in Animator’s Palate – we always seem to have inside meeting points! After which, I got another beer and Alison had a margarita as we went to deck 10 to watch the Sail Away party.

Sailaway! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Time to party! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Celebrate by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Minnie by makingplansfor, on Flickr

We stayed on deck until we sailed under the Lions Gate bridge.

Up in the air by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Sailing under the Lions Gate Bridge by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Here we go! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

I chatted to a Canadian lady who told me that the bridge was built by the Heineken brewery... Or was it the Guinness brewery? She wasn't sure! After we had felt that we had been thoroughly ‘sailed away’ we went back to our room for more unpacking.

Time for dinner. Our first dining was in Parrot Cay. Our servers were Barbie and Russell who were both excellent and very friendly and looked after us despite our little problem with our table partners (as you will read later). On the first night they never turned up. Alison had baked crab Martinique then shrimp and avocado salad. Stephen had jerk chicken then rib eye steak, while I had jerk chicken then mixed grill. Dessert was french toast banana bread for Alison, a cookies and cream sundae for me and Stephen had nothing at all - which is what he got, a plate with 'nothing at all' written in chocolate.

Nothing at all! by makingplansfor, on Flickr

Back to the room for a quick freshen up before looking at the shops before the first show - All Aboard. We really love the shows – drama and singing are Stephen’s big hobbies and we spend a lot of time at the theatre. The show was great – a bit cheesy but definitely got you in the Disney mood!

By this time the jet lag was catching up and Alison and I decided we should retire. On the way back we collected a hot chocolate, some coke and a bit of pizza. Alison and I decided to go to sleep but Stephen went off to explore the Edge before finally retiring for the night. We were Alaska-bound!

Swan by makingplansfor, on Flickr
Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 14, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

I love the photos of you all on the Wonder with the rather stunning contrast of the high rise glass spectacle that is Vancouver. Looking forward to reading more
Old 3 Aug 14, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
FLORIDAMUM3
Excited about Disney

Only just read day 2..your photos of the ship arriving in Vancouver are really stunning! I'll look forward to reading this trip report!
FLORIDAMUM3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 14, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Looking forward to more of this one! Looks fabulous already.
Thanks for sharing no matter how long it takes, just great to read all about it.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 14, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

Mobile

We stayed in a very similar room although never made it onto the secret deck on our Alaska cruise
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 14, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
pluto66
Imagineer

Great day looking forward to reading more.
Old 22 Aug 14, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I love the idea of sitting on the deck in the middle of the city.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 14, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

great pictures
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 14, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Ilsa
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Wow, this looks fantastic!

First family Florida holiday August 2014
Disneyland Paris 2015
Florida 2017
Ilsa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 14, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A great start to your cruise and more fabulous photos

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List