Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Oh don't say this! We are in the middle of a house move. All going well so far and fingers crossed it's moving along steadily.
We have found with previous house moves you need to keep mithering them though!
As for the poster who said estate agents mither, I would hope as their customer they did! I know it might be about them getting their fee but at least it gets the process done as well!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Estate agents may want the commission but they also want to sell houses and be successful both as an individual and company.
Some solicitors dont or wont communicate through email so it slows the process down.

When I moved I had to ask my mortgage company for the outstanding amount so I knew how much to get on my new mortgage at the end stage
Old 19 Jun 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Thank you all.

I have had an email from the solicitor herself explaining that there had been issues with a sick relative which has got in the way of her work and the stand in at the office had also been off due to personal reasons.

This was a red rag to a bull. I do sympathise if she had family issues but it shouldn't get in the way of the basic right of a client to know what is happening with their engagement.
Did you speak to the Managing Partner? I would be explaining that this is unacceptable - you are paying for a service and it isn't your problem how they manage the workload.

I would say - in all our house purchases we have found that solicitors who do convenyancing tend not to prioritise that work (as they also have other casework), whereas a dedicated conveyancer tends to be much better as it is their focus. We figured this out on our last sale/purchase.
Lizzim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SHREKS OTHER1/2
Imagineer

SHREKS OTHER1/2's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
So glad it not just me ...I instructed March 8th ...Nothing ..Again 3rd April after holidays ...Still waiting now on completion last email 18 May. Yesterday I blew my top and rang to complain . Oh your Solicitor left 3 weeks ago . Erm and when would you have been letting me know ? .Luckily I am selling to my daughter with the same solicitors different office . There has been no duty of care .My daughter has signed for the house or so she thinks .Just told to sign the paper work no explanations after I had ask them to explain things to her . Then we had the you need to pay us for an insurance as your gifting deposit ..The bank demand it ..I refused reply " Don't worry we will get buyer to pay then !" REALLY . We rang the lending bank they do not ask this they require a letter of disclaimer from us for the deposit . Still waiting for the draft from them again after 4 weeks . I could add more .But once its done I am raising a formal complaint against them . I did tell them yesterday I am glad its only the purchase/sale of a house as if it was anything important I would be scared having them represent me ..Sorry for the ramble but you've started me on one again
05,07,09 Sandy Ridge 11 LA,Vegas,SF 12Miami,Sandy Ridge,AMI 13 Vegas 13 Miami,Disney,AMI,KeyWest 14 Memphis,New Orleans,AMI 15 West Caribbean Cruise & Keys 15 Miami, East Caribbean Cruise & AMI 16 Orlando & West Caribbean Cruise, 16 Barbados,17 MSC Caribbean Cruise AMI,17Georgia,Carolina,Orlando & AMI 18 Vegas ,LA & Palm Springs,18 NewYork,Arkansas ,Dallas 19 Barbados Cruise 19 Florida 20 Vegas,LA& Hawaii 20 Arkansas
SHREKS OTHER1/2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Some of the stories are frightening but not surprising. Conveyancing has been pushed into such a low margin commoditised workstream that this is not surprising however sad and frustrating.

Estate agents get 1% of the asking price and conveyancers sometimes less than my hourly rate for the entire transaction.

Conveyancing isn’t difficult but it is time consuming and therefore conveyancing assistants abound who have little legal or commercial acumen. There are good people out there but it is difficult for jo public to know who they are and even if you get a good one ( I have an excellent conveyancer as unfortunately I can’t do my own) if the other side have a bad solicitor you can be on as much trouble as if your own firm is poor.

No matter how good or bad due to margins on the work you need to be the person who shouts loudest, who chases steps down and who gives the solicitors deadlines and generally sets expectations. If you don’t the matter will often drift.

In the OP’s case they have every right to complain and should do so firstly to the firm with the right to escalate later.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 19, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

In my case there is no buying or selling of property just alterations to the deeds. I know I could do this myself but wanted to make sure it was done properly.

To answer an earlier question I hadn't contacted the partner- I was due to do that today if I had not heard anything

Edited at 08:52 AM.
BucksBugsy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 19, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
Some of the stories are frightening but not surprising. Conveyancing has been pushed into such a low margin commoditised workstream that this is not surprising however sad and frustrating.

Estate agents get 1% of the asking price and conveyancers sometimes less than my hourly rate for the entire transaction.

Conveyancing isn’t difficult but it is time consuming and therefore conveyancing assistants abound who have little legal or commercial acumen. There are good people out there but it is difficult for jo public to know who they are and even if you get a good one ( I have an excellent conveyancer as unfortunately I can’t do my own) if the other side have a bad solicitor you can be on as much trouble as if your own firm is poor.

No matter how good or bad due to margins on the work you need to be the person who shouts loudest, who chases steps down and who gives the solicitors deadlines and generally sets expectations. If you don’t the matter will often drift.

In the OP’s case they have every right to complain and should do so firstly to the firm with the right to escalate later.
1%? We dream of 1% in Cornwall.
In an area with very depressed wages and relatively high house prices, the very best that we would get from a ‘bricks and mortar’ high street Estate Agent would be 1.5% for a ‘stack em high’ easy to flog, standard box. The average is around 1.7% and the largest chain in the area is difficult to negotiate below 2%.

I would agree with you on conveyancing wages in that they are low and that retention of experienced staff may be a problem with those low wages.
Even experienced Solicitors down here (I can only speak for Criminal ones), are not on very good money since the introduction of fixed fees (less even with call out than I was earning as a DC).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:14 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Just to update this thread which I started. Having requested an escalation from the solicitor dealing with my case I received an email stating that the only grounds for my complaint was that she had failed to update me one week.

This wasnt the case - the chain of documentation required to complete the engagement had been sitting on someones desk forn4 weeks without any action.

I'm sure there are good solicitors out there but given how much they charge for their work I expect better customer service.
Old 1 Jul 19, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Just to update this thread which I started. Having requested an escalation from the solicitor dealing with my case I received an email stating that the only grounds for my complaint was that she had failed to update me one week.

This wasnt the case - the chain of documentation required to complete the engagement had been sitting on someones desk forn4 weeks without any action.

I'm sure there are good solicitors out there but given how much they charge for their work I expect better customer service.
It may be worth contacting the legal ombudsman as the solicitor has now said they do not feel you have grounds to complain. I have added a link below to the website. Hope they can help

legalombudsman.uk/
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
It may be worth contacting the legal ombudsman as the solicitor has now said they do not feel you have grounds to complain. I have added a link below to the website. Hope they can help

legalombudsman.uk/
Thank you - I will think about that and will certainly have a read.

To be honest once the work is done I really dont want anything else to do with solicitors unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks again.