Notices

Old 16 May 19, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

8 More days to go ! Planes trains and automobiles. Boston,NY,Dayton,Orlando,Naples

Planes, trains and automobiles.
This is my first pre trip report, (buoyed after the take up on my first trip report (California N to South at Easter), that I had huge fun compiling).

This is our 10th US trip since 2005 and from initial on site, budget Disney, we have expanded our horizons as our experience and confidence grew. Our signature prevents my duplicating these trips.

Family.
We are a family of Dave and Mandie plus our boys, Dan (16 years old and currently doing GCSE’s) and Matt (13 years going on 33 if you ask him).

Aims.
From a’once in a lifetime’ first visit, we have now aimed at the USA as a whole with a long term aim of seeing all of the Mainland US seaboard plus Hawaii and minus Alaska.

Background.
I am a former soldier (REME Aircraft Technician Sgt), retired Police Officer (DC in Cornwall) and now a Security Officer at the local Hospital as I mark time towards retirement. Mandie is a redundant Scenes of Crime Technician who is now an Administrator at the local Crown Court. We like travel in general and the USA in particular.
David and Mandie

Dan.

Cadet Matt

The all important plan, now all booked and mostly purchased as a DIY.
Built around a London-Boston flight on 18 July and a Miami-London flight on 09 August. I Often plan vacations in this way. buying the long hauls, then filling in the gaps. The carrier, Norwegian has messed about with the return leg, moving it and then causing us to shorten our vacation by a day in order to remain on one of their Dreamliner. All is booked with only the Beavercreek Hotel and Orlando car hire left to pay for.

Day1. A train journey, Penryn to LGW with champagne, followed by an evening meal and night in the Prem Inn. The Prem Inn is very much a family tradition as is the buffet breakfast.
Day2. A lazy morning spent either plane watching or at the Gatwick Aviation museum if open. The flight is 1650, 1910 and direct, followed by a taxi to our accommodation, a houseboat close to the Paul Revere house.
The boat for the first 3 nights.

Day 3. Walking the freedom trail and finishing at USS Constitution with a tour. The evening will be spent on a sunset cruise around the bay (regretably not on the Constitution).
USS Constitution.

Day 4. A whale watch cruise, hoping to see playful, feeding whales as opposed to the whales in transit off Monterey last year.
The boat.

Some Humpbacks

In the afternoon, it is the Swan Pedalos on the lake at Boston Common. We may visit the ‘Cheers bar’, but maybe not as we have never seen ‘Cheers’.
A Swan Pedalo (very much Mandie’s idea).

Day5. A lazy morning before catching the AMTRAC to Penn Stn New York. Book in to the Broadway Plaza before collecting our City Sites tickets from the Empire State Building.
An Amtrak (May even be ‘the one’).

Day 6. Catch the ferry from close to USS Intrepid and sail down and around to the Washington bridge before being dropped off by One World. We have a trip up One World and a visit to the 9/11 Museum. We will then probably walk back going over the Brooklyn Bridge, returning and then seeing the site of CBGB nightclub before returning to the Hotel (very much a Pilgrimage).
CBGG as it is now

Day7. This is a day spent walking up Broadway and 5th to Central Park where we are hoping to see far more than on our last visit. We also intend visiting the Levain bakery on W74 /Amsterdam in order to try their famous chocolate cookies. After a thorough walk round the park, it is back down 5th and a look at Macy and Tiffany. The Hardrock cafe on Broadway looks likely.
Day8. Another as yet unplanned morning in NY. I fancy USS Intrepid, but know that some hard bargaining is required! At 1835 it is a flight from LaGuardia to Dayton Ohio where we pick up a hire car and move to Beavercreek.
Day 9. A day in the fabulous USAF Museum, highlights being the Memphis Belle and Bocks Car (amongst 350 others). Mandie’s cup will be overflowing!
The Museum.

Prototypes hall, Dayton.

Day 10. It’s the USAF again for me and a day shopping in the Beavercreek Mall for Mandie. The boys say that they will make their minds up on the day... that will be the shopping then!
Day 11. This is a lazy day of driving 80 miles or so to Cincinnatti. We may have a look at the full scale Noah’s Ark built by the Creationist Church who fervently believe that the world was created 6000 years ago and that Man, Dinosaurs and Aardvarks all roamed the Earth together. Our flight to MCO is from 1500 to 1713.
The Ark.

We then pick up an Uber to the Ramada on IDrive (because it is cheap, convenient and has complimentary breakfast). Doubtless the Golden Coral will be the suggestion of my sons.
Day 12. It’s an early start and check in to the Royal Pacific Club Level (for the eats), before hammering the rides at Universal/Islands.
Day 13 is another day with Universal after checking out and placing our bags with the Concierge. I then pick up our hire car from Holiday Inn (near Universal) and then the family before driving to our Villa in Kissimmee. A Mustang Convertible was originally booked, then cancelled upon the best advice of fellow DIBBERS. It is now a far more sensible Jetta (or similar) and I am £130 richer.
The rather stunning Sunrise Villa

Day 14. It can only be one place as we settle in to the relaxing bit.. Seaworld at rope drop. A tradition with us!
Day 15 No idea. A park, possibly Volcano bay all day.. or Seaworld before visiting Volcano bay after 1800 if the weather allows it (free parking after 1800)
Day 16. No idea.
Day 17. Busch at rope drop and with all day dining.
Day 18. Discovery Cove! No Dolphins. Always a big day for us.
Day 19. No idea. Possibly De Soto
De Soto looks amazing.

Day 20. Rainbow river kayaking at Dunellon. Looks absolutely fantastic and we are really looking forward to something new.
The rainbow river.

Day 21. Horse riding for Mandie, Dan and Matt at the ‘Lazy H’ ranch.. I am official photographer! Afterwards it will be a Hospital visit or alternatively, a water park.
Day 22. An early vacation of our villa and a drive down to Naples with a day in Delnor Wiggins State Park before checking in to the Inn of Naples. Great value and complimentary breakfast.
Delnor Wiggins state park.

Day 23. A lazy morning driving the Tamiami Causeway and stopping for an Airboat ride before dropping the car at MIA and flying MIA - LGW 1630-0550.
Day 24. Hopefully an arrival on time and our train with allocated seats from LGW-Penryn (no Champagne). If we are delayed, then our rail ticket is ‘open jawed’ and we can simply get another, later train.

Well that’s it! Some old, some new and a right old mix. With just 62 days to go, my only slight worry is the possibly parlous finances and issues with Norwegian Airlines (fingers crossed).

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:22 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Sounds a great trip
We much prefer Boston to New York
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Hope you all have a brilliant time, really looking forward to reading about your trip.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

Boston is fabulous, have a fab time. x
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Sofiamouse
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Sounds like a brilliant holiday, look forward to reading along
Sofiamouse is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Thanks all. Let us hope it works as planned!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Sounds like a fab trip you have planned!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 19, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rob & Jan
Being a bit Goofy

Sounds like a great trip-looking forward to hearing all about it.
Rob & Jan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This sounds like a brilliant holiday you have planned. I’m fascinated by that Ark in Ohio 😳
I’m looking forward to hearing all about it!

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 06:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
This sounds like a brilliant holiday you have planned. I’m fascinated by that Ark in Ohio 😳
I’m looking forward to hearing all about it!
They also have a museum/education centre nearby. The problem is that both are very expensive to enter. The decision has yet to be made as to whether we actually pay to enter or simply look as we pass by en route to the airport.
It is a rather interesting Google read and there are plenty of internal images. Whether we want to pay to see it live (or rather inanimate, is a different matter.