Old 8 Jun 19, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Solo from Southampton - day 6 Bergen

My plan to get up at the crack of dawn doesn’t go right to plan this morning, and I don’t drag myself out of bed until 8. Based on this I decide to skip breakfast and head straight off ship.

I do stop at Java though and pick up a takeaway coffee and grab a blueberry muffin to take in my bag.

I realise quickly we aren’t docked that near Bergen, this was a bit of a surprise to me and jump on the shuttle bus.

We get dropped out on the outskirts of town still but it’s a nice warm morning and I head towards the funicular railway. The streets are deserted and I’m hopeful that at about 9am that I might be ok.

I’m not, I turn the corner and the queue snakes all down the street, I book my ticket online and I am able to enter the queue about half way through. Well this is chaos, having been on a predominantly British boat you forget how rude other tourists can be, there is pushing and rucksacks in faces and my flip flopped toes get trampled a million times. I have mild claustrophobia, really just issues with people rather than spaces, I don’t like strangers touching me or barging me about. I’m therefore quite upset by the time I get on the funicular, and I can’t see anything as they don’t half shove people in. I get to the top, and the heavens open, there is thunder and lightening and the rain is so severe. I run to the entrance of the toilets, eat my muffin, snap the quickest couple of photos and get straight in the queue to come back down. This was a fair waste of £12 for me. If it hadn’t been raining I was planning on walking down, but it’s raining a lot, and I have no coat as this wasn’t forecast.

When I get to the bottom it has mostly stopped, so I go for a mooch. Bergen is also very pretty

I walk around the fish market and buy DH his main present of the trip, 4 different types of caviar, salmon, lumpfish and two varieties of stertlet caviar I think the lady says. These cost me about £35 but i know he’ll enjoy them.

I then continue walking, I’m getting hungry as all I have eaten today is the mini muffin. I contemplate going into the prettiest Maccies in the world, but quickly discount this and start walking back to the ship.

I stop in a bigger supermarket again and spend the rest of my spends budget on chocolates for the kind parking fairy dibber, a tin of sardines in oil for the puppy and I pick up 2 more little cans of beer for DH, this comes to about £20.

I’m near the shuttle bus to the boat now so I jump on. Lunch in the main restaurant isn’t quite open yet, so I grab a cider in Brodie’s and write some notes.

I then head to Peninsular restaurant, it’s only 12.30 and dinner isn’t til 6 so I push the boat out and get the cheeseburger as I’m starving.

When I had heard that we were leaving Bergen today at 2.30pm I was a bit upset, as it would mean 2 days not speaking to DH, when I text him about it though he said he would get the shop covered at 1pm so we could have 15mins, I’m very grateful; and plan round this.

We have a lovely chat back in Brodie’s, then I pop to my cabin to lose my big rucksack. I had booked onto a ‘ladies pamper party’ at 3 so I shower to save time later, and then head up to the health spa.

This actually wasn’t bad at all, they did a couple of sales pitches in it, but we basically all got a DIY facial with Elemis products, then then an application of a bronzer thing after. Quite handy as now all I need to do is straighten my hair and pop on some eye make up for formal night.

It’s over 2 hours til my dinner reservation, and it will only take me 15 mins or so to get ready, so I go up to Planet bar to watch us leave the Fjords. This will be my last sighting as we’ll be out to sea shortly.

I head down the stairs to my cabin to get ready, it’s black and white formal night tonight, then arrive at Sindhu at just a few minutes to 6.

I get seated and I get a dissolving hand towel, good job he said, I thought it was a mint. I also got mini poppadoms and 3 chutneys, and a pre starter of a chicken breast in mint yoghurt. All very very nice. I had to stop eating the poppadoms as they had given me the same amount as the couples.

They have some different wines by the glass in here and I try a British Bacchus then an Indian Sav blanc. I don’t think British wine is overly for me, it’s a bit bland. But the Indian one was quite nice.

My main starter comes and it’s fried chicken with leaves and chilli yoghurt, this was really lovely too.

I’m feeling very full already and need to watch out.

The main comes and it’s absolutely enormous. I have 3 curries, salmon tikka, lamb rogan Josh and a chicken korma, pilau and basmati rice, Bombay potato, lentil Dahl and 3 types of breads, naan, paratha and chapati.

I would have much rather ordering which sides I fancied, as it’s such a waste, who needs 2 types of rice. As it is I eat the salmon curry (amazing) the lamb curry (very nice) try the Korma (bit weird, tastes of mustard) and eat all the Bombay potato (my favourite) and dip the naan and the paratha in the salmon sauce. I don’t touch the Dahl, either rice or the chapati, and already I can’t move.

I decline the dessert, they always look so concerned when I do this, surely I can’t be the only one who can’t eat this much. The very kind waiter offers me a scoop of sorbet which is a nice touch so I say yes please. It’s raspberry and nice and refreshing.

They also bring the petit fours which I leave in tact for them in case they can use it again, I can’t bear the thought of me taking one sweet so the whole plate goes in the bin.

The food here is sublime, but for me, I’d prefer a more relaxed approach, I was only in there a few minutes over an hour and I had 6 courses brought to me and one declined altogether, and 2 of these were enormous. I’m no slouch when it comes to eating, that’s why I have a few stone to lose; but a course every 10 minutes is a bit rapid for me. Still £20 very well spent, I love Indian food.

It’s only 7.15, 90 mins pre footie so I decide to nip up the cabin to get out of my heels, effort made, I don’t need heels for the footie.

This ends up working really well as there is a quiz at 8 in the pub and I get a great table right in front of the main screens for when the footie starts.

Unfortunately they can’t get signal for the footie, so I decide to scoot into the playhouse to watch the last half of the juggler. He was very very good again.

I head back to Brodie’s to see if any luck on the football and no luck yet, but I decide to sit, and see if any success.

At half time the signal pops back on, so I stay and watch the second half, then it goes to extra time.

Unfortunately we lose. But it’s really late by this point, I head via the late night comedian but there isn’t a seat to be had so I give up and head to bed.

Sea day tomorrow then home.

Edited at 06:28 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jun 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

What a shame about the funicular. I can imagine it’s very weather dependant.

Your meal in sidhu looks good but 6 courses in an hour is way too fast.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 19, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Aw that Finnicular! We had one time where it was glorious, and we spent hours up there, and another worse than yours, where we got up there and it just POURED and visibility was ZERO. We came straight back down too. That McDonalds is lovely isnt it!
Did you venture into any of the little back streets (Bryggen?)
Your dinner looks very good, shame you couldnt manage it all, hate to tell you they are not allowed to re-serve your petit fours, they would have gone into the bin anyway! Nice touch that they brought you a sorbet. Sounds like a really nice day other than the weather and the shoving!

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 19, 09:21 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Aw that Finnicular! We had one time where it was glorious, and we spent hours up there, and another worse than yours, where we got up there and it just POURED and visibility was ZERO. We came straight back down too. That McDonalds is lovely isnt it!
Did you venture into any of the little back streets (Bryggen?)
Your dinner looks very good, shame you couldnt manage it all, hate to tell you they are not allowed to re-serve your petit fours, they would have gone into the bin anyway! Nice touch that they brought you a sorbet. Sounds like a really nice day other than the weather and the shoving!
Yes I had a good wander around Bergen after the funicular and thought it was very very pretty.

Damn it though, should have tried the mango sweets.

There must be sooo much food wasted. I tried to do my bit by not ordering courses I didn't think I could eat, but there was sooo much food..
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disney owl
Imagineer

disney owl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
shame about the weather
June 2001, August 2003,2007 &Sept 2010 - WDW Offsite
June 2005 - DLP Davy Crockett Ranch
disney owl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List