Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Aug 19, 12:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Universal VR
Imagineer

How awful for you! I’m glad Tilly is ok. It makes me so mad when dogs are off lead, especially as the owner seems well aware, in this case, that his dog is aggressive. YOU shouldn’t have to pick YOUR dog up because HE can’t control HIS! I have a small mixed breed dog who is very excitable but has never shown any aggression. When another dog approaches, she lays down as if she’s ready to play. I keep her on lead all the time when we are out as she could jump up at another dog thinking it wanted to play and that worries me.
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Canal banks are dangerous places to have big dogs off leads, too narrow, particularly with aggressive dogs.
If the dog injures someone, potentially a ruinous personal injury claim could follow. Also if it attacks someone, arrest and DNA swabs etc could be the result.
I speak from experience, so dog owners be careful where you let your dog tear around.
Hope your Tilly is OK. It's idiotic to have a dog which is a known aggressive dog off a lead on a canal bank. Basically that owner didn't care.

Edited at 12:38 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

We still can’t believe it happened to be honest. We are about to go out for the day now but we are considering leaving Tilly at home. Fear of a dog attack has never entered my mind before (maybe that’s stupid on my behalf)
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

I read other forums and this seems to be getting worse and worse .
People believing that their dangerous dogs should be able to roam free attacking other dogs , people and without consequences.
I read recently of a family taking their children to a park for a picnic and a dog bounding over and trashing everything and scaring the kids ...the female dog owner said “it’s your fault you shouldn’t bring food to a park “ beggars belief ...Op try and get as much info as you can and report it , next time it could be a child , the boxer owner is a disgrace.
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post

I feel so angry and a bit emotional reading that. We live in a village with population 125 and to be honest rarely encounter other dogs on our walks. When we go somewhere a bit busier I am so scared of something like this happening.

I think my smaller pug would be submissive and very frightened but the older / larger one is pretty confident and I think he would attempt (and fail miserably) to stick up for himself. I have read that a pug can over estimate his physical prowess and I can see that in my older one.

If this man knows his dog is not safe around other dogs he should put a muzzle on it and keep better control on it, it should not have been free to come after yours. We took our dogs to the lake district last year and crossed paths with a couple who had two scary looking dogs, when they saw us wandering past with two pugs (one a puppy at the time) the man pinned his dogs up against a wall and tried to block their view of us. He was in control, but I found it scary that this was necessary, so I picked the puppy up and told DH to pick the big lad up.

I don't think I would be able to stop myself from intervening if a dog attacked mine, I would definitely kick it or do whatever else. If the owner dared to complain afterwards, my goodness they would get a piece of my mind.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Problem is that reading the OP, the dog was on lead. Our dog was attacked by an on lead dog whilst he was also on a lead.
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Problem is that reading the OP, the dog was on lead.
It doesn't sound like the dog was on a lead to me. But in any case I am also not sure what you mean by "problem is". Are you suggesting that dogs on leads can legitimately attack smaller dogs? I really just do not understand what you mean.

Edited at 01:59 PM.
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Hotlush
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Whilst there is little the Police can do about this single incident it should still be reported on 101.
Hotlush is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Poor Tilly and poor you and your family. I hope Tilly recovers quickly. I would report it to the police. Even if there isn’t much that can be done it can still be on file in case there are similar attacks by the same dog.
That dogs needs more training, a muzzle, a collar with lead and a harness with a second lead if it’s that aggressive.

When I had a dog (chihuahua) despite him being on a lead and walking next to my pushchair with toddler son at the time, he was attach by a chocolate lab. Thankfully I manage to get hold of my dog pick him up before he was injured but people walking the other side of the huge park heard my dog scream. It was so shocking and my dog never trusted another dog after that.
Old 25 Aug 19, 02:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

So sorry to hear this and as a dog owner it really annoys me that when people have an aggressive dog that they don't muzzle it and keep it on a short lead around people and other dogs.

I hope your poor doggy makes a full and fast recovery.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List