Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 22 Dec 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Day 14 - VB/US/IOA, NBC Sports Grill & Bar and Cowfish

It was our final full day, so the plan was to go to all three Universal parks and go back to our favourite restaurants of the trip.

After a morning at Volcano Bay, first on the food list was NBC Sports Grill & Bar which we had been to on the evening a couple of days previously, but which we thought we would try out for lunch this time. We had loved our starters so much last time that we tried them again on this day but as our main meal whilst sitting outside on the terrace. We therefore had the Wisconsin fried cheese bites and the black and blue kettle chips:

As we learnt last time, these were big portions so we didn’t need anything else for lunch, but we did have to stop by at Voodoo Doughnuts once more before the end of the trip. I had the Dirt again, whilst the OH tried the Voodoo Doll. I didn’t try this as it has jam in the middle and I hate jam, but he said that it was much better than the Butterfinger he’d had earlier in the trip - I think probably because this was a yeast donut rather than a cake one! Although it didn’t quite look as much of a perfect doll as photos from others have looked...!

Here’s a quick photo of the spinning donut wheel they have when you enter the shop in case useful:

After a sad last trip to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure, we decided to hit Cowfish for our final dinner. Although the OH didn’t make the best choice with his meal here last time, he had seen some other menu options he liked the look of and I enjoyed my food here last time too.

On this occasion, we managed to snag a seat on the terrace outside which was lovely. We were tired so no cocktails this time around though. I ordered the calamari we had as a starter last time as my main, along with some parmesan bacon truffle fries. These were really good:

The OH ordered the High Class Hillbilly ‘Southern Style Bar-B-Q-Shi’ which was pulled pork, caramelised onion and BBQ sauce, wrapped in potato and flash fried, topped with housemade bacon coleslaw and chives.This was amazing and both of us ended up sharing it...! It tasted a bit like a burger or pulled pork sandwich but just with a different texture; we will 100% go back and order this on our next trip.

Despite being full, afterwards we decided to quickly try out Cold Stone Creamery which we had heard really good things about. We got a small pot of the Cake Batter flavour which was lovely and we just about finished it. We probably shouldn’t have ordered it as we were so full but needs must on your last day...!

Edited at 07:36 PM.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 18, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Day 15 - Travel Home Day 😔

As we had hit IOA on our first night, our Universal tickets had run out by our final morning and we didn’t fancy the stress of getting to and from Seaworld (for which we still had valid tickets) - we therefore spent the morning at the pool after check-in and although we toyed with the idea of heading to CityWalk for a final Moe’s, we decided to eat at the Cabana Bay food court, the Bayliner Diner, for the first time for lunch instead before getting on the TUI coach back to Sanford.

We got our usual kiwi strawberry slush to share, and ordered a mozzarella and tomato flatbread, a braised brisket grilled cheese sandwich which came with fruit, and (obviously) some mac n cheese. This was all pretty good for food court food and we were happy with our choices but super sad to leave which tainted the meal a bit.

As we didn’t plan to do a trip report at the time, I don’t have any photos of what we ate in Sanford Airport or on the flight home but it was all pretty standard airport and plane food. We went to the only bar that was open at the airport, which I think was an Irish bar, but we will never forget the bar man - he was so cheerful and was literally doing everything as a one man band!

So... that marks the end of our April/May 2018 trip report. We hope you’ve enjoyed it and we will be back with our September/October 2019 instalment before we know it!

Edited at 07:41 PM.
orlandoamber is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 18, 12:44 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you for the report! I can totally empathise with the 'trying to eat everything on the last day' thing! We just came back from a cruise and on the last day I panicked about all the things I hadn't eaten or wanted to have again lol. So much food and so little time!

I've heard about NBC grill quite a lot on food reports, think we should try it next time we're over!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 18, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
Thank you for the report! I can totally empathise with the 'trying to eat everything on the last day' thing! We just came back from a cruise and on the last day I panicked about all the things I hadn't eaten or wanted to have again lol. So much food and so little time!

I've heard about NBC grill quite a lot on food reports, think we should try it next time we're over!
Hope you enjoyed. 😊

I think the ‘needing to eat eveything’ thing is the trait of a true foodie haha! 😂

NBC is definitely worth a visit. I think we’ve always avoided it before and presumed it was just bar for watching sport but it’s definitely more than that! When we went there for lunch we also loved the position of the terrace - great for people watching and seeing everyone’s snacks as they walk past as so many come by as they go between US and IOA!
Old 23 Dec 18, 02:27 AM  
Link to this Post
velbels
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Thank you for this it's take useful. We are off to Aventura to do universal for the first time in January and it's great to have some recommendations. Especially on-site ones as we're not hiring a car.
velbels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 18, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by velbels View Post
Thank you for this it's take useful. We are off to Aventura to do universal for the first time in January and it's great to have some recommendations. Especially on-site ones as we're not hiring a car.
We love staying at Universal, I’m sure you will love it! We almost went for Aventura for our next trip but it was only a tiny bit cheaper than Cabana Bay for our dates so we ended up sticking to what we know, but we will definitely visit and perhaps try it out in the future.

We never have a car either, so anything we ate on I drive on this trip was either close to Seaworld when we went there or a $6 ish uber ride away 😊
Old 26 Dec 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
DudleyDoRightly
Earning My Ears

Mobile

Mmm fried cheese bites. Thanks for the report!
DudleyDoRightly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Dec 18, 11:26 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandoamber
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DudleyDoRightly View Post
Mmm fried cheese bites. Thanks for the report!
They were so good! Glad you’ve enjoyed.
Old 29 Dec 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for this! We're staying at Sapphire Falls for a week in Feb and have very little idea about good restaurants to eat at but your report has given me plenty of ideas!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
We were there at a similar time between 16/4 and 4/5 this year. Just read the whole report, too many lovely things to mention, we must have similar taste in our food choices we also love NBC, my daughter is desperate to get back there for their bang bang chicken so its first on the list for our Universal only trip in April 2019.

Thanks for posting
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List