Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 14 Aug 18, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
Sorry to sound silly but how do I know if I’m on a rolling cruise? Are all MSC like this?

X
Rolling cruise? I assume that to mean one where everyone doesn't get on/off at same port?

If so, no, not all are like that, ours to Eastern Caribbean wasn't.

A rolling cruise is I assume, a cruise where you don't all go from A and arrive back at A (Our non-rolling cruise was from Miami, to St Maarten, Puerto Rico, Nassua and back to Miami)

A rolling cruise is where passengers join at more than one, or several, ports, and therefore there are always passengers getting on or off at all, or most, ports. For example our upcoming cruise is a week from Barcelona - but other passengers will be joining from Marseille, Rome, etc for either a week (where they will return to their embarkation port), or they will get off elsewhere.

Edited at 06:56 PM.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Rolling cruise? I assume that to mean one where everyone doesn't get on/off at same port?

If so, no, not all are like that, ours to Eastern Caribbean wasn't.

A rolling cruise is I assume, a cruise where you don't all go from A and arrive back at A (Our non-rolling cruise was from Miami, to St Maarten, Puerto Rico, Nassua and back to Miami)

A rolling cruise is where passengers join at more than one, or several, ports, and therefore there are always passengers getting on or off at all, or most, ports. For example our upcoming cruise is a week from Barcelona - but other passengers will be joining from Marseille, Rome, etc for either a week (where they will return to their embarkation port), or they will get off elsewhere.
I know what they are, I was trying to figure out how I’d know whether ours was. I’ve got a feeling a lot of MSC European cruises are.

Thanks x
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 18, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

I know what they are, I was trying to figure out how I’d know whether ours was. I’ve got a feeling a lot of MSC European cruises are.

Thanks x
Ah right, yes I think a lot of the Med ones definitely are, yes.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 07:15 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Ah right, yes I think a lot of the Med ones definitely are, yes.
That’s gonna be weird!
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

That’s gonna be weird!
It is weird- there's no first or last day atmosphere! Plus its a pain in the bum when they shut down the whole ship for muster but it's not your boarding day.
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
It is weird- there's no first or last day atmosphere! Plus its a pain in the bum when they shut down the whole ship for muster but it's not your boarding day.
That was exactly my thoughts. Loads of random people wandering around with life jackets each day. I wonder why they have rolling cruises? Prob to ensure max occupancy I guess.
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

That was exactly my thoughts. Loads of random people wandering around with life jackets each day. I wonder why they have rolling cruises? Prob to ensure max occupancy I guess.
I guess in theory it sounds like a good idea- you can do just a long weekend or the whole week, its up to you. But in practice I think it's more trouble than it's worth and I did miss the atmosphere from set length cruises. We didn't have any problems with missed ports but I can imagine the chaos that would cause!

Although I will say if you can board at a non popular port, eg Palermo like we did, it can be a bonus. As 90% of the ship was off doing excursions we enjoyed a nearly empty ship for the majority of that day!
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Ugh! How long is it all shut for?

Although I will say if you can board at a non popular port, eg Palermo like we did, it can be a bonus. As 90% of the ship was off doing excursions we enjoyed a nearly empty ship for the majority of that day!
Great We get on/off at Barcelona. Luckily we are doing a couple of nights either side of the cruise so no mad rush for flights
Old 15 Aug 18, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Ugh! How long is it all shut for?

Great We get on/off at Barcelona. Luckily we are doing a couple of nights either side of the cruise so no mad rush for flights
It was probably about an hour- not everything was shut but a lot of things were and it was difficult to get to certain places as they were being used for the muster drill. Not a bad time to use the pools etc though as the majority of the ship is at muster!

Barcelona seemed like the biggest embarkation port so you might not be affected much at others. At Marseille and Valetta they didn't shut things down or do muster annoucements.
Old 15 Aug 18, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I’m hoping that as ours in roundtrip from Southampton then it won’t be too bad. Famous last words 😆