Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 15 Aug 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I see that Florida has now declared a state of emergency. $1.5 million promised, although to me this seems a small amount.

Many people with respiratory issues and many dead animals.

Hope things improve soon for all.

This article explains more.

google/amp/s/w...cy-in-florida/
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Northtim
Excited about Disney

This time next week we will be in the thick of it. I will let you know what we find.

Viewing webcams there seems to have been some improvement but I won't be swimming in murky water and we have packed facemasks with air filters for a holiday for the first time ever!

Fortunately our villa is on a canal well away from the river and I am assured far out of the blue green algae area. Red tide is another matter - we will see what we find. Some beaches on Sanibel/Captiva are reported to be getting clear water now but I am very wary. We have a boat with the villa and am concerned about what we will have to go through to get to hopefully clear beaches. Our alternative is to drive to Marco Island for a beach day.

Praying for easterly winds!
Northtim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post
This time next week we will be in the thick of it. I will let you know what we find.

Viewing webcams there seems to have been some improvement but I won't be swimming in murky water and we have packed facemasks with air filters for a holiday for the first time ever!

Fortunately our villa is on a canal well away from the river and I am assured far out of the blue green algae area. Red tide is another matter - we will see what we find. Some beaches on Sanibel/Captiva are reported to be getting clear water now but I am very wary. We have a boat with the villa and am concerned about what we will have to go through to get to hopefully clear beaches. Our alternative is to drive to Marco Island for a beach day.

Hope you have a fantastic holiday and that you're not affected.
Old 15 Aug 18, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
I see that Florida has now declared a state of emergency. $1.5 million promised, although to me this seems a small amount.

$1.5m wow, token gesture and then some.

They really should be looking to hit the people dropping muck into the lake but as has been mentioned before they're political donors so they wont bite the hand that feeds them.
Old 16 Aug 18, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post

Aye TC, weeks since the whole sorry mess kicked off and the Gov finally provide a paltry $1.5m 'emergency fund' for Fl, shameful. You may have read 11 dolphin have now died off Sarasota County, including Speck, a 12 year old, tagged at birth, Fl dolphin.

A scientist friend in St James City (south end of Pine Island) who monitors manatee had to call in yet another manatee death to Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, he's personally found about 5, some with calves that had to be uplifted for rehab.

Originally Posted by Northtim View Post

Hi Tim, keep an eye on the news, particularly for Lake O discharge. Our Cze friends holiday home is circa 500 yards south of Cape Coral Pkway (SW Cape). Their canal to the river is around 45 mins but they still aren't taking the boat out, the concern is what they can't see that's poisoning the water. Their canal isn't showing any signs of blue-green algae but the water is a mucky brown. They're in the pool most of the day with the bairns.

Please take good care, if you nip to the beach and find your throat constricting/coughing get yourselves away from that beach. Don't let the bairns bury themselves in the sand due to any decay further down that may be housing hook worms.

Hoping it'll have cleared more by the time you get there, and you'll be out on the boat having a smashing time Remember slip, slap, slop with that sun
Old 16 Aug 18, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

This is so heartbreaking to read and see but thanks to Chris for keeping us updated.

Sanibel is my very favourite place - shelling at dawn is just wonderful and something I revisit in my head if I can't sleep. I have so many wonderful pictures in my head and $1.5m is not going to put this right! That's a real slap in the face to residents - both human and non-human. Shame on them

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Claire020877
Gone all Goofy

Tropical Shores in Sarasota's Siesta Key is fab!
Claire020877 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Becstarprincess
Proud to wear my Ears

We are staying in a villa in Rotonda West, we visited the local beach yesterday and it was truly heart breaking to see, the smell was bad. we were all coughing in a few minutes. The worst thing is the dead fish and the flies that come with them. This beach was on the slight irritation, bare in mind we are all healthy with no breathing problems.
So we decided to travel north over tampa bay today and visited st pete’s And treasure island. It was worth the distance and the beach was lovely. We are going to do less beach time and enjoy the pool !
Becstarprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 18, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Becstarprincess View Post
We are staying in a villa in Rotonda West, we visited the local beach yesterday and it was truly heart breaking to see, the smell was bad. we were all coughing in a few minutes. The worst thing is the dead fish and the flies that come with them. This beach was on the slight irritation, bare in mind we are all healthy with no breathing problems.
So we decided to travel north over tampa bay today and visited st pete’s And treasure island. It was worth the distance and the beach was lovely. We are going to do less beach time and enjoy the pool !
Again, I apologise for being the bearer of bad news, my guess; many didn't expect the toxic/blue-green cyanobacteria fall-out from Lake O, which is significantly worse due to lingering red tide, to cover such a large area of W/SW Fl. Unfortunately it'll continue until the Army Corps cease 2018 discharges. Good to read you enjoyed time at St Pete's. Some beaches are a positive 'stay clear', wouldn't want you/your family falling ill due to what some Floridians are viewing as a deliberate lack of information in an attempt to keep Fl coffers filled by tourist.

Bokeelia pal emailed, said tourism is way down, island/local area businesses/restaurants are hurting, the whole scenario is a mess.
Old 18 Aug 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Dizzy
Very Serious Dibber

I have to admit that I’m seriously considering cancelling my visit to Cape Coral next year.
2013 - OKW - 20th Anniversary
2019 - 4 week Big Birthday Bonanza
Disney Dizzy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List