Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 12 Oct 17, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

Backing up Photos/Video

Hi All,

I really don't want to take my laptop away with us. I use it everyday to work from home so I would lie to give myself a break.

But I'm worried about backing up my photos and videos whilst we are away. What do people use to do this?

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
debsym62
Imagineer

debsym62's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I take my tablet and my camera connects to it with a wireless connection but that doesn't transfer video so I have now got an adapter to use as well. Some people might just take extra SD cards though so you can have several.
debsym62 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Oct 17, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyBride08
Apprentice Imagineer

Thank you. I have added to my memory card collection but I also found a hard drive with a memory card reader. Having lost photos on a memory card on our last trip I want to make sure I have a back up. Our iPad won't have enough space on it.

1996 WDW Offsite / 2001 DLP HNY / 2002 WDW ASM / 2004 DLP NB / 2008 Our Wedding Trip WDW POFQ & GF / 2009 - WDW CSR / 2010 DLP with bump! NB / 2012 WDW AKL / 2013 DLP HC

Our 2017 return DCL / BC / Universal HRH Vlogs
DisneyBride08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 17, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Jane3865
Proud to wear my Ears

Watching this with interest as we are also going next year and I was wondering what to do. Happy to take multiple memory cards but would like to be able to back up somewhere in case cards corrupt or get lost. Looks like taking laptop is the only way to go..
2021 - High Grove Resort Villa
Jane3865 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Nov 17, 02:07 AM  
Link to this Post
kaytronika
slightly serious Dibber

I just picked up a ravpower FileHub off Amazon after a recommendation off twitter... memory card in one end, usb hard disk in the other and use a smartphone or tablet to transfer.

The ui seems a bit clunky but I’ll probably use it on our 2018 trip to back up to a harddisk while maintaining the files on the memory cards
kaytronika is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Rikki
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by kaytronika View Post
I just picked up a ravpower FileHub off Amazon after a recommendation off twitter... memory card in one end, usb hard disk in the other and use a smartphone or tablet to transfer.

The ui seems a bit clunky but I’ll probably use it on our 2018 trip to back up to a harddisk while maintaining the files on the memory cards
I too have the RAVpower Filehub and con not recommend it highly enough. Also acts as a mini wifi hotspot when needed.

It's so small and can be left in the bag or even my pocket.

Plug in a SD card, USB stick or even a hard disk and you have all the storage you need for camera back ups, phone back ups etc.

We even load it up with movies and shows which can be viewed from iPad's, iPhones, laptops or anything with a wifi connection.

Yes the User Interface does need a little work but it does the job.

Everyone should own one!

Rikki is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 18, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
RonaldMcMouse
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Just invested in a WD My Passport Wireless Pro for our trips to the USA.
It is a more expensive option but it is so much more than just a backup and if you take your ipads then you can all link wirelessly to the drive and watch videos, upload video/photos etc. I like the fact that it has an SD card slot so I can just take the SD out of my camera and plug in and it will automatically upload all the pictures to the hard drive for editing later.
I take enough cards not to have to delete files but having a backup is definitely peace of mind.
amazon/WD-TB-Passp.../dp/B01M7YQ89L
RonaldMcMouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

I upload my photos on my phone to dropbox
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
huggybearv1
Proud to wear my Ears

i used to use a kingston mobilelite wireless, model mlw221 .. cheap small device that you can stream from and store photos and videos to, both to usb and sd card ..

i have a home server now which i connect to remotely and upload my photos to .. if you want a more permanent solution, try the Synology servers ... that what I have .. beauty of this is that anyone can upload and download, you have control .. so when multiple parties are going on holiday and you all want to share the photos, just upload to one place and job done ….

failing that, flickr used to give 1tb free data with new signups .. unsure if they still do that .. signup, upload and enjoy!

Huggy
huggybearv1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 03:10 AM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Apprentice Imagineer

Phone photos to dropbox...and now to my WD Mycloud too

Camera phones via laptop - couldn't go away without my laptop. What would I do on the plane? I have to say I use it less away than I did now I can do so much on the phone but I also sometimes use the laptop to upload pics to Facebook albums as that's another backup.

My camera also does wifi so probably could back up directly to dropbox on its own if I figured out how.

I tend to copy the photos from the SD card to the laptop each night - important pics I might take on my phone and the camera.

However, now I'm having trouble with an old back up harddrive so maybe didn't back up my back up soon enough

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List