Notices
Photo, Video & Vlogs Photography, Video and Vlog discussions

Old 3 Apr 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
samanthacj
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile iPhone 7 good enough for Disney pics ?

Hi

Just wondering if you think an iPhone 7 would take good enough pictures for our Disney experience.

I had some photos developed on it a couple of weeks ago and the quality wasn’t brilliant I have since changed the resolution so hoping them to be a bit sharper.

I have an old camera lying about but didn’t really want to take that what do you think ?

Thanks Sam
samanthacj is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
justacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I wanted to learn how to take better photos so am following iphone photography school on facebook and have an email newsletter. I can't say my photos are much better as I've not practiced.
Why not have a look and practice now so you can see if your skills improve.
The one advantage of a camera is the zoom (iphone only has digital).
The main advantage to iphone photos is live photo (I looooove this).
justacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
2waterford
VIP Dibber

I’d say no. My dh and dd both have iPhone 7and pictures are good enough to view on phone but not to develop or even when viewed on larger iPad screen.

I am fussy about my pictures and always bring my Sony digital camera for special occasions and holidays.
2waterford is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Depends how many MP your old camera is? I’ve got some old cameras (think 5 or 6 years) and my iPhone Dad surpasses those in MP and qualify, if you have a fairly new camera then it probably will still be better. Have a practice at focusing on at iPhone, adjusting where the phone focuses changes the brightness and has a huge affect. I also tend to edit mine with Afterlight and that is great!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Midges17
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I used mine last year & all my photos were very clear & sharp after developing, I did take my “proper” camera but ended up using the phone for nearly them all, it maybe who you used to get them developed?
Old 3 Apr 18, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

My DD has the iPhone 7plus, the quality of her photos is excellent and she uses it for all her normal photography and has had A3 printed without a problem. She does have a DSLR which she uses for special occasions, fireworks at Disney etc. When we are in New York we are all doing a photo course with a professional photographer: DD and DH will be using their DSLRs and iPhones; I will be using my iPhone X.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 08:22 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

an iphone 7 camera will be as good if not better than most sub-£150 compact cameras sold in the last 5 years. the main issue will be the lack of optical zoom, but if you're taking normal bright daylight shots and not really zooming into stuff, you will be fine

i stopped taking my DSLR camera to florida when i got my canon eos-m mirrorless compact. but due to having a decent phone camera (google pixel) the compact only ever leaves the villa if i'm going somewhere i'm going to need either the zoom lens (eg boat rides, safari, that sort of thing), or the low light wide-angle lens (MNSSHP/HHN/gigs)...

the iphone 7 has a 12mp camera with an ƒ1.8 aperture. this will be more than suitable for *most* situations, and perfectly ok for printing too (unless youre blowing up to A3 or larger, 10+mp is more than enough)

just remember to wipe your lens before you take a photo... the main reason for poor phone photos IMO is smudged/dirty lenses

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by samanthacj View Post
Hi

Just wondering if you think an iPhone 7 would take good enough pictures for our Disney experience.

I had some photos developed on it a couple of weeks ago and the quality wasn’t brilliant I have since changed the resolution so hoping them to be a bit sharper.

I have an old camera lying about but didn’t really want to take that what do you think ?

Thanks Sam
It depends on what you want from your photos.

All of my photos from the last 10 years or so in my trip reports and stored on my 15" laptop at home have been taken on cameras that were worse than the camera on an iPhone 7. They look fine on iPads and printed out on standard 6x4 snapshots.

If you are thinking of blowing the photos up to A4 size (or bigger) or you want professional looking photos that are super crisp even when zooming in then you'll want a DSLR that significantly better (and probably more expensive) than an iPhone 7.

Even then, the quality of the photo often has as much to do with how well the photo is taken rather than the quality of the camera. Pictures can be slightly blurred due to motion when taking the photo.

As an aside, some of my earlier Disney pictures were taken on an 2 megapixel Fuji digital camera (which also played MP3 files as well - quite high tech at the time!). It wasn't that long ago that that sort of resolution was considered reasonably good.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 18, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
the_weird_one
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

For me no the phone wouldn't be good enough, as people have pointed out with the lack of optical zoom, and just as importantly a fully controllable aperture rather than a fixed one on a phone.

Though if you're only going to view on screens/Instagram you nay find the phones good enough for you
the_weird_one is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Apr 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
As an aside, some of my earlier Disney pictures were taken on an 2 megapixel Fuji digital camera (which also played MP3 files as well - quite high tech at the time!). It wasn't that long ago that that sort of resolution was considered reasonably good.
i have a bunch of photos taken using 2mp and 6mp digicams and they are still good quality. my DSLR is "only" 10mp... too many people say you need the latest 20 megapixel digicam, and yet they are only ever posting their photos to facebook/etc, so there is absolutely no need for a massive megapixel count. its all about the quality of the sensor/glass rather than number of megapixels

Originally Posted by the_weird_one View Post
For me no the phone wouldn't be good enough, as people have pointed out with the lack of optical zoom, and just as importantly a fully controllable aperture rather than a fixed one on a phone.

Though if you're only going to view on screens/Instagram you nay find the phones good enough for you
if you have an android phone, manual camera is a great app if your device is compatible. gives you loads more features that you cant usually access. dunno if theres a similar IOS app available though
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List