Notices
Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 3 Feb 17, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Super budget trip - two adults dine on $75 per day - January 2017 ***COMPLETE***

Firstly, why are we dining on $75 per day? Well when we planned our holidays for 2017, they didn't include a week in Orlando in January. Towards the end of last year we decided to squeeze in a cheeky extra week and as we basically hadn't budgeted for it at all, the super budget trip was born.
It's our usual travelling party - I'm Lucy and I'll be accompanied by my husband Sean. There were no complicated calculations to come up with a figure of $75, it just seemed feasible that if dixonsontour can do $100 a day for three people, $75 should be plenty for two of us. My research didn't go much further than that! Neither of us has a particularly big appetite and we're happy to share when necessary. There are some places we draw the line at (Golden Corral) but although we like good food, don't need to eat in high end establishments all the time.
So did we manage it? Read on to find out.

Edited at 11:57 PM.
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Excited6910
Imagineer

Oh I'm in! Cant wait I love food report!

Loved our Second “once in a lifetime" so much we're doing it again
Excited6910 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 17, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 1

Travel Day

We were travelling with BA, who had just swapped from the north to the south terminal at Gatwick the day before. To celebrate this momentous occasion, we were each given a gingerbread flight attendant at the check in desk!

We planned to have breakfast in the No 1 Lounge using the free passes I had with my Amex card but BA had been unable to open their new lounge because of safety issues, so had taken over most of the No 1 Lounge, which meant no room for walk ups.

Undeterred, we headed to Pret A Manger instead, where I got a granola yogurt thing and a water, while Sean had a bacon roll and a coffee. No photo as it was rammed and we had to stand where we could. Cost £6.98.

Once airborne the drinks trolley came round very quickly. No snacks were offered - looks like we're not the only ones on a budget, BA are it it too! Luckily we had our gingerbread men.

There were only two choices for lunch, vegetarian pasta or what the flight attendant referred to as "chicken and potatoes." Sean had the pasta and as I don't eat cheese I had the chicken. I'm not too keen on aeroplane chicken, so just ate the vegetables. Dessert was a pot of double chocolate salted caramel gooeyness. Nice but very sweet - a little went a long way.

Afternoon tea was served about 90 minutes before landing. It was the standard BA offering of chicken caesar sandwiches and a teeny weeny KitKat.

We checked in at Saratoga Springs and headed straight to the Artist's Palette for a refillable mug plus some milk for our room. These cost $23.09.

After dropping off our bags in our studio and a quick freshen up we headed back to the Artist's Palette, where we shared an Italian beef sandwich, which was really tasty. It came with chips and cost $11.28.

Washed down with a couple of soft drinks in the mug this was plenty for our first night.

Total spent today £6.98 and $34.37
Old 3 Feb 17, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Looking forward to reading along.

Mrs P
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Jack Daniel's
VIP Dibber

Also looking forward to reading this. Hope you enjoyed your jolly ginger! I recommend the company that made them. They have made a few personialsed items for us and last year we visited one of the shops, real pretty!
2013 Aulani / Disneyland Hotel
2010/13/16/17/18/19 DLRP
2009 POR 2008 POR
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn 1992 Continental Plaza
1991 Howard Johnston 1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
Jack Daniel's is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

Day 2

Animal Kingdom

We had brought cereal, Frusli bars and tea bags from home (yes we did declare them) so along with the milk we bought last night used these to prepare a quick breakfast in our studio. There was no kettle so options for boiling the water were either the coffee maker or the microwave. We opted for the latter and although the tea looked a bit foamy it tasted fine. Practice makes perfect and by the end of the week I had it down to a fine art - results were much better when I did one cup at a time rather than putting them both in the microwave together.

As we visited Animal Kingdom today we had lunch at the Rainforest Cafe. Although we had no ADR, we only had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. Sean had a Budweiser and I had Diet Coke.

We shared a plate of fiery nachos and a portion of onion rings. This was easily enough food for lunch.

When the bill arrived we were shocked to find we had been charged $11.50 for one beer and queried this with our server. He hastily scribbled something on the receipt and told us we could collect a souvenir glass from the shop. Who knows whether he would have told us this if we hadn't said anything. Cheeky! Cost with tip (and a glass we didn't really want) $45.

We didn't have any dessert at the Rainforest Cafe as we had other ideas and headed to Tamu Tamu refreshments for a dole whip each.

Now we knew we were back in Florida Cost $8.93

In the evening we ate at Uno at Crossroads, where Sean had beef shorties and a coffee. The shorties were like mini ribs and were pronounced delicious.

I had a vegetable extravaganza pizza and water. Due to my cheese issues I requested some modifications to the pizza so that it contained only mozzarella and it was served exactly as I asked.

Lovely as it was I couldn't manage it all, so we had the leftovers boxed up to take away. I had a coupon for a free pizza or entree. The server had problems processing this but we got there eventually and ended up paying $20 with tip.

Total spent today $73.93
Old 4 Feb 17, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

Thanks for posting, really helpful

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Great start. Bummer about the souvenir glass at RC. They're so cheeky sometimes!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Feb 17, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Looking great so far will enjoy reading along

Joan
Old 4 Feb 17, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Great start, will be reading along!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List