Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Jul 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Talk to me about Canada

We have a 2 week break to the Smokies and Hilton Head Island this October that is hanging precariously in the balance so thoughts have turned to option B and a Canadian holiday instead. Obviously only if they drop the 14 day quarantine by then!

Having not looked into a holiday here in any depth I’m not sure where to start. Where would you recommend?

I’ve thought of Vancouver Island/Vancouver/Whistler

Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto area or

Prince Edward Island (big Anne of Green Gables fan!)/Nova Scotia area

We would only have 2 weeks so don’t want to cram in loads.

We like outdoorsy activities so Paddleboarding, kayaking, tubing, hiking, whale watching, in fact any wildlife watching, also shopping and relaxing all in one.

I know the weather wouldn’t be great but I wouldn’t want it freezing!

Throw me any ideas my way. Even if it doesn’t pan out it will be good to know as we will definitely explore Canada at some point in the near future
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I am a Canadian fan. This is the first year I haven’t been since 2013.

Quebec is my favorite place in the world. I have quite a few trip reports in my signature - Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa and lots of “little” places (lakes! ) in the mix.

We have also done Vancouver/VI and Whistler. I adored VI.

Everywhere has lots to do in the great outdoors. However, there may be less things open in October.

Nova Scottia is next In my list

Also have a look at Jocat, Gunna and Parisdisneyfan for Canadian trip reports!

Shout if you have any questions!

Edited at 09:22 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
I am a Canadian fan. This is the first year I haven’t been since 2013.

Quebec is my favorite place in the world. I have quite a few trip reports in my signature - Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa and lots of “little” places (lakes! ) in the mix.

We have also done Vancouver/VI and Whistler. I adored VI.

Everywhere has lots to do in the great outdoors. However, there may be less things open in October.

Nova Scottia is next In my list

Also have a look at Jocat, Gunna and Parisdisneyfan for Canadian trip reports!

Shout if you have any questions!
Thanks Mel, your trip reports are next on my list!
I think I’m swaying towards VI/Vancouver/Whistler but I hadn’t actually considered certain things might not be open, will have to research a bit more.

We like AirBnB type accommodation as we would kill each other in a hotel for 2 weeks, can do a couple of nights max.
Whereabouts did you stay on the island? Did you move around or stay in one place and travel to different areas?

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jul 20, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
Thanks Mel, your trip reports are next on my list!
I think I’m swaying towards VI/Vancouver/Whistler but I hadn’t actually considered certain things might not be open, will have to research a bit more.

We like AirBnB type accommodation as we would kill each other in a hotel for 2 weeks, can do a couple of nights max.
Whereabouts did you stay on the island? Did you move around or stay in one place and travel to different areas?
We stayed in Ucluelet on the west coast. We went whalewatching and did lots of walks/hikes plus a day surfing. It really is remote though - three hours drive from the ferry at Naniamo. Loved it there though.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Funny, Canada has become my plan B too! I've been trying to check on their latest news in regards to allowing visitors in and I feel a bit unclear about it all.

Are you allowed in, as long as you isolate for 14 days, or are they not allowing anyone in at all, and the 14 day quarantine is only for certain people who are permitted entry?

I was trying to see if they had dates set for review of the current rules, and I can see both the end of July and end of August for certain things, but not too sure what it means.

We've 3 weeks booked off from 1st October for a California/Florida trip we have planned, so I've been trying to see what I could book and plan in only a few weeks if the US is looking very unlikely to happen, and I'm hoping Canada is an option as I've always wanted to go anyway!
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We were due to go to Canada on the 2nd Sept for my sons wedding and are hoping to cancel, the wedding venue is closed anyway. According to my nearly dil Canada won’t be up and running till the end of September. October to April is very cold in Toronto, they went zip wiring over Niagara Falls at the weekend and that looked like great fun. Apperently I have to do it in May next year!
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
We were due to go to Canada on the 2nd Sept for my sons wedding and are hoping to cancel, the wedding venue is closed anyway. According to my nearly dil Canada won’t be up and running till the end of September. October to April is very cold in Toronto, they went zip wiring over Niagara Falls at the weekend and that looked like great fun. Apperently I have to do it in May next year!
Aw no, that's so annoying when it's for a wedding I feel so thankful that we got married last year as I don't think I could have coped with everything this year!

I want to see so much, that I don't think we'll get it all done in one trip to Canada anyway, so I can't even decide yet where I would choose to go if we have the option. I'm trying not to look into it too much yet, otherwise I get planning obsessive and I'll be disappointed if we don't get to go, or prefer this new plan over our current US trip
PumpkinCupcake is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jul 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
They post loads of pics, Canadian wonderland and Toronto Islands, they go kayaking eat out a lot and it looks amazing They got engaged in Muskoka which looks beautiful
Old 7 Jul 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
PumpkinCupcake
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
They post loads of pics, Canadian wonderland and Toronto Islands, they go kayaking eat out a lot and it looks amazing They got engaged in Muskoka which looks beautiful
I've just looked up photos of Muskoka and now I want to go. It looks so beautiful!
Old 8 Jul 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Another Canada lover here!

Mel is the real expert though. We've been to Toroto, Niagara, Ottawa and Montreal and would recommend any of those places. My highlights:

Jet boating in Montreal
CN Tower in Toronto
Hotel overlooking Niagara Falls
Blue Mountain resort (about an hour outside Toronto near Lake Huron - it's a ski resort in winter and an activities type resort in summer - hiking, ziplining, mountain biking etc. It's a kind of village so has shops/restaurants/activities everything you need with no need to use the car once there. )