Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 14 Feb 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Maryj
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Universal credit - disability element

We have an 18 year old who has the higher rate PIP allowance and has moved into supported living shortly after turning 18. I applied for Universal Credits for him, but after five months of pursuing it, I still have not achieved even getting him assessed for the disability element. We have to do work search assessments with his work coach, which is a complete joke, he’s autistic, he won’t get cured from it and it’s very unlikely sadly that he will ever have a paid job. I know that and so does the work coach, but we have to go through the motions.
I found out when I called the disability assessment people that they had closed his case as they has sent a form over the Christmas holidays to his care home, which was never received there and as it was not returned they closed his case. They also said they hadn’t been informed by his work coach that I had appointeeship for him, even though it’s on his universal credits journal. The work coach apologised and said she had informed the disability assessment people I had appointeeship and I should send the uc50 form. I had found it online and filled out all 24 pages with lots of repeating myself. We posted it and when I called to check the progress, I was told his case was closed and they had sent the form to his work coach. I will be speaking to the work coach tomorrow and I will keep going until this reaches a satisfactory conclusion, but it is so frustrating and disgraceful to treat a young adult with significant learning difficulties in this way.
Did anyone manage to actually get the disability element, is this situation what I should expect.
Maryj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 21, 08:26 AM  
Link to this Post
gismo1554
Imagineer

Sorry I can't help but just wanted to say I hope that things work out for you all! Sounds awful but I really think that some people who administer these things are just silly.
Old 15 Feb 21, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Tillyjcm
slightly serious Dibber

Sent you a pm xx
Old 15 Feb 21, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Mobile

He will probably need to log in and do a 'change of circumstance' and input all his health details again if it's been closed.

He needs to hand in sick lines and input the details in the system until this activates the uc50 form and has had an assessment.

Once he receives the results of the assessment sick lines (or fit notes as they now call them) are no longer required.

There are 2 levels on the sickness element. Limited capacity for work or
Limited capacity for work and work related activity.

The lower level has no extra money but the work searching stops. They make it very difficult to get the higher rate with the extra money.

If you're on Facebook there are help groups for universal credit. Citizens advice can also help.

Hope he gets it sorted.
Mariesmith is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List