Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 22 Feb 21, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BaconAndAvocado
Imagineer

Florida Beaches Newbie, help!

For our third family visit to Florida, we might want to venture out to a beach for the day but have no idea which one!

We'll be staying in Orlando (obviously) and will have a car.

We live near a beach in the UK so it needs to be something special to use up a day on!

We also love good food so would be interested in restaurant recommendations.

Like everything else Stateside, the beaches look absolutely enormous so where do people congregate?
Old 23 Feb 21, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Didgey
Serious Dibber

Clearwater. I’d consider even spending the night.

Boardwalk there is buzzing at night, plenty of activities during the day. Look around the Hilton hotel on the beach which is the middle centre.
Didgey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Simon & Suzann
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BaconAndAvocado View Post
For our third family visit to Florida, we might want to venture out to a beach for the day but have no idea which one!

We'll be staying in Orlando (obviously) and will have a car.

We live near a beach in the UK so it needs to be something special to use up a day on!

We also love good food so would be interested in restaurant recommendations.

Like everything else Stateside, the beaches look absolutely enormous so where do people congregate?
We like here:
pinellascounty/park/05_ft_desoto.htm
tripadvisor/Attrac...e_Florida.html

Also something worth considering is a visit to Kelly Springs park. I know it's not a beach but it's my Fav place in Florida
tripadvisor/Attracti...a_Florida.html
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Nemo2016
Looking for my Ears

As Didgey mentions, Clearwater beach around Pier 60 is fantastic.

So much to do during the day on around the beach including hiring jet skis, or booking boat cruises to see the dolphins, sunset etc. The boardwalk around sunset is pretty cool, lots to see and do.

Pier House 60 hotel is great if you can stay over, excellent staff, not crazily expensive in a great location and and we love Jimmys Crows Nest bar on the roof for evening drinks watching the sunset.

Also been to Daytona beach and Cocoa beach on the atlantic coast, both lovely but Clearwater is top.

Palm Pavillion restaurant at Clearwater is also worth stopping for a meal at sunset too
Nemo2016 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

It depends on what you are looking for, developed and busy or secluded and quiet. I certainly prefer the Gulf side to the Atlantic side.

Coming from West Cornwall, I dislike the busier beaches intensely. My perfect beach has nobody else on it. I can achieve that in Cornwall, even in August..

I would look at
Fort de Soto
Anna Maria Beach
Holmes Beach
Bradenton Beach

The bottom 3 are all on Anna Maria Island and fort de Soto at the bottom of St Pete’s.

If you want to go a little further, I like Casperson Beach just south of Venice for its fossilised Sharks teeth (good fun if you have Children).

If you like busy, then Clearwater.

If you want to get bitten by a Shark, then New Smyrna Beach can’t be beaten!

Edited at 06:27 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Fort De Soto state park is really nice.

Plenty of parking and a few open pavilion type places with BBQ stands you can use for free. If there is a group of you this could be a good option, under the pavilions are bench tables. Toilets are next to the pavilions.

The beach is reached by walking through the tree line and opens onto a stunning beach that wasn't over busy when we visited. The bonus of the tree line is you can sit back from the beach and get some shade when you need it.

No food there - we ate at St John's Pass on the drive back up to Clearwater before heading back to Orlando.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Depends if you intend to drive there and back in a day. personally I think clearwater would be too far for a day trip but everyone is different. For me, no beach could be better than the beaches in Anna Maria but again too far for a day really. (for me)
We have visited Cocoa beach for a day trip
and there is also Daytona which were also good, although we go in Summer and beaches can be very very hot 🥵
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 05:48 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Go to Anna Maria Island for the day is my advice, not Clearwater. Nice mix of people but less busy. Then again if you want a more party like atmosphere Clearwater.

This for us is no problem for a day trip at all.

Edited at 08:22 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

To me, every beach mentioned is an easy day out with Casperson the furthest.
Cocoa Beach is a 1 hour 30 drive from Davenport according to Google.
Anna Maria Island is a 1 hour 40 drive from Davenport as is Fort de Soto, Clearwater and Daytona Beach according to Google.
Casperson is 2 hrs 03.

It’s simply a question of which you would like most as the difference in time to get there is marginal.

It is worth adding that you may well get surf on the Atlantic coast, but much less likely the Gulf.

Edited at 06:25 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 21, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
East for us, from Orlando we'd be heading to Daytona, New Smyrna or Cocoa.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List