Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 26 Jun 21, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
I've been to Malta and would go back. Valletta is lovely and there is a lot to see if you are prepared to explore. Gozo is lovely - no cars - and there is a very nice beach at mellieha
mellieha bay, that brings back memories from the early 70's . my dad ran over a black cat in a hire car( vw beetle ) then his false teeth fell out over board a peddelo in deep water. 🤣🤣🤣. see,bad luck running over that cat. well it was bad luck for both really. 🤣🤣.
back to topic , mellieha bay was a nice area with hotel right by the sea.
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MrsB87 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. We are both double vaccinated with a 1 year old so we’re all good for Malta.

Actually been thinking about the Hilton at St Julians but I’ve no idea how it usually fairs price wise or if it has been hiked as it’s quite expensive.

Tbh, I’m not sure by Majorca. For a start I just can’t find a hotel I love and secondly I’m not keen on the fact that they’re not testing. Happy to take some recommendations of places/hotels in Majorca though.

I just want a bit of sun tbh! Dubai is booked for September but not convinced we will get there.
This is where we have booked for next year jet2holidays/malta/m...-hotel-and-spa

The great thing about Malta is it’s so compact and easy to get around. The local buses are fantastic too. I have to admit that in all my times there I haven’t stayed in St Julians so can’t comment on that area. I picked this one as it’s looks lovely and has a pretty decent location with a good price and good reviews.
sparklegirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Personally i hated it. Concrete city, lack of proper beaches and poor food but each to their own
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Personally i hated it. Concrete city, lack of proper beaches and poor food but each to their own
Is that St Julians or Malta in general? Like I said I have never stayed in St Julians and I think the nearest I have really been in terms of things to see has been Spinola Bay. Just wondering so I can add that part to my not really fussed list
sparklegirl is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
Is that St Julians or Malta in general? Like I said I have never stayed in St Julians and I think the nearest I have really been in terms of things to see has been Spinola Bay. Just wondering so I can add that part to my not really fussed list
Buggiba, St Paul’s Bay Area. Also Went on a couple of day trips too and just didn’t enjoy it. We found the place filthy, dusty and just not for us. The only place I’ve been too where I wanted to get back to the airport. There maybe better areas though.
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Buggiba, St Paul’s Bay Area. Also Went on a couple of day trips too and just didn’t enjoy it. We found the place filthy, dusty and just not for us. The only place I’ve been too where I wanted to get back to the airport. There maybe better areas though.
That reminds me of my friend who hated it. We stayed in St Pauls bay and loved it. Plenty of good restaurants and fish restaurants in the little fishing villages. Valletta has some wonderful snack and pastry cafes. So many old buildings and areas to explore as well as Popeye Village.
Driving is almost as scary as driving in Cyprus though!
Old 27 Jun 21, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Fab Mam
Getting Excited

Fab Mam's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
To be fair, Buggiba and St. Paul's are a bit like Blackpool.

I went to Malta a couple of years ago with 2 friends for my 40th. It was one of the most memorable holidays ever! We stayed in a penthouse apartment in Sliema and luckily one of the friends had lived there previously for a good few years so this was a great help.

Transport is brill e.g. busses and ferries. We went to Valetta and The Three Cities by ferry, fantastic architecture and a great vibe. Some cool Game of Thrones sites to see too.

Mdina has to be one of my favourite places to visit ever. It is also known as the silent city and is surrounded by fortified walls. We found this lovely restaurant with a small terrace which had the most amazing views.

St. Julian's is a bit more upbeat with fab cafes bars and restaurants including one of the best pizzas I've ever tasted (my friend knew about this place from previous visits).

They were holding local elections when we were there and they had a huge parade of lorry floats playing music and celebrating the win from that day (for the reds I believe )

We also went on a boat trip to Comino Blue Lagoon and what can I say except blooming idyllic. Yes it gets busy but when you have swam a good distance away from the shore all your worries just slip away (I'm not a travel agent honest )

I'm not sure I would take children and it's defo not a beach holiday but I would love to go back with friends again.

Edited at 08:08 PM.
Fab Mam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Thats a shame, we've been many times as my parents used to go for 2 months each Jan/Feb and we used to go for a week to visit them but we never stayed in tourist areas and didn't ever visit St Juliens or look for beaches. We always found great fresh seafood and pasta etc (and gorgeous cakes), friendly people and loads to see and do around the island, Mdina, Valetta, Marsaxlokk, Tarxien etc. It's great when there's a Festa on and each town / village celebrates - and Valetta is full of people.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 09:12 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 21, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
Thats a shame, we've been many times as my parents used to go for 2 months each Jan/Feb and we used to go for a week to visit them but we never stayed in tourist areas and didn't ever visit St Juliens or look for beaches. We always found great fresh seafood and pasta etc (and gorgeous cakes), friendly people and loads to see and do around the island, Mdina, Valetta, Marsaxlokk, Tarxien etc. It's great when there's a Festa on and each town / village celebrates - and Valetta is full of people.
Couldn't spell Marsaxlokk but that is the fishing village where we had a brilliant fresh fish meal
Old 28 Jun 21, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Couldn't spell Marsaxlokk but that is the fishing village where we had a brilliant fresh fish meal
Probably, yes - they have a lovely market along the quayside
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List