Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 13 Jul 21, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

There's plenty to do & see on Barbados - if you like history, water sports, and wildlife. Many types of tours and activities (possibly the only things it doesn't have that other Caribbean Islands might have, is zip wiring or river based activities - you won't find these on Barbados). Its only a sitting on the beach destination if you want it to be.

Obviously there are no theme parks BUT there is a crazy golf course, proper golf courses, cricket ground, race course, water inflatable 'park' (the Boatyard), historic houses, botanical gardens, Concorde experience, an amazing cave system which you can tour by Noddy train - or for the more fit & adventurous, actually do a proper potholing tour (prepare to get wet & dirty !). Did I mention deep sea fishing, sunset boat tours, feeding turtles boat trips, scuba diving, snorkelling, paddle boarding, jet skiiing, surf boarding, submarine adventures. Bar districts for nightlife and "jump up" street frys.
Then there are all the foodie elements - great street food, posh restaurants and everything in between, from KFC to home cooking and 5* dining. The there's the Rum factory tour, artisan chocolate factory tour (interesting way to spend an hour) ?
People are friendly and no 'edgy vibes' walk out at night and driving as good and as easy as the UK. Renting a villa as easy as Florida and no need to worry about it being gated.

Finally its also a great hub airport for exploring other Caribbean Islands - we've done a couple of 2 centre trips - once to nearby St Vincent and another time to Tobago.
If you can afford it, a trip to the Grenadine Islands is AMAZING - fly to Union Island for the day, and take a boat trip with Clem on his water taxi "Fair Deal" that includes lunch on a beach UNFORGETTABLE TRIP OF A LIFE TIME !

There's nothing boring about Barbados !

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 10:14 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdybnsn View Post
There's plenty to do & see on Barbados - if you like history, water sports, and wildlife. Many types of tours and activities (possibly the only things it doesn't have that other Caribbean Islands might have, is zip wiring or river based activities - you won't find these on Barbados). Its only a sitting on the beach destination if you want it to be.

Obviously there are no theme parks BUT there is a crazy golf course, proper golf courses, cricket ground, race course, water inflatable 'park' (the Boatyard), historic houses, botanical gardens, Concorde experience, an amazing cave system which you can tour by Noddy train - or for the more fit & adventurous, actually do a proper potholing tour (prepare to get wet & dirty !). Did I mention deep sea fishing, sunset boat tours, feeding turtles boat trips, scuba diving, snorkelling, paddle boarding, jet skiiing, surf boarding, submarine adventures. Bar districts for nightlife and "jump up" street frys.
Then there are all the foodie elements - great street food, posh restaurants and everything in between, from KFC to home cooking and 5* dining. The there's the Rum factory tour, artisan chocolate factory tour (interesting way to spend an hour) ?
People are friendly and no 'edgy vibes' walk out at night and driving as good and as easy as the UK. Renting a villa as easy as Florida and no need to worry about it being gated.

Finally its also a great hub airport for exploring other Caribbean Islands - we've done a couple of 2 centre trips - once to nearby St Vincent and another time to Tobago.
If you can afford it, a trip to the Grenadine Islands is AMAZING - fly to Union Island for the day, and take a boat trip with Clem on his water taxi "Fair Deal" that includes lunch on a beach UNFORGETTABLE TRIP OF A LIFE TIME !

That’s great and all but barely anything you’ve mentioned interests me which is why we decided it wasn’t for us.
We enjoy wildlife and history but not boats , rum or water sports.
I’ve throughly looked into things we would like to do including our 10 year old and it’s not for us.
We don’t need theme parks to have a good holiday and we don’t just travel to Florida every year , we have varied holidays but Barbados is not for us .
Don’t quite get why that’s hard to understand or seems to irk some people.
Obviously lots of people love it and pretty sure there are many who would find our ‘on the go’ breaks not for them.
Each to their own as they say.

Edited at 10:35 AM.
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
That’s great and all but barely anything you’ve mentioned interests me which is why we decided it wasn’t for us.
We enjoy wildlife and history but not boats , rum or water sports.
I’ve throughly looked into things we would like to do including our 10 year old and it’s not for us.
We don’t need theme parks to have a good holiday and we don’t just travel to Florida every year , we have varied holidays but Barbados is not for us .
Don’t quite get why that’s hard to understand or seems to irk some people.
Obviously lots of people love it and pretty sure there are many who would find our ‘on the go’ breaks not for them.
Each to their own as they say.
I don't think it "irks" anyone and sorry if that's how you have seen it - I think people are just trying to be helpful in outlining what there is to do ? When you contribute to posts, you are not necessarily just addressing the OP but anyone else that might be interested in the answer - so please don't take it personally.

Breaks on the go sound like fun - but as you say possibly not something that adapts terribly well to what is essentially a small Caribbean island so slightly surprised you even considered it. Hope you have fun whatever you decide

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 01:30 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ScoopsAhoy
Imagineer

I don't think it "irks" anyone and sorry if that's how you have seen it - I think people are just trying to be helpful in outlining what there is to do ?

Breaks on the go sound like fun - but as you say possibly not something that adapts terribly well to what is essentially a small Caribbean island so slightly surprised you even considered it. Hope you have fun whatever you decide
Think I’d just had enough of people telling me I was wrong and should like it because they do (not necessarily on here btw)
We were only really considering it because it was on the green list (before the double vaxxed thing for amber) and hadn’t looked at any of the Caribbean islands before so thought we’d look into it.
It’s frustrating as we like to travel and do new things so just wanted to escape but have realised now that it’s just not worth the hassle this year so fingers crossed we can go to Japan next year 🤞🏼
ScoopsAhoy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ScoopsAhoy View Post
Think I’d just had enough of people telling me I was wrong and should like it because they do (not necessarily on here btw)
We were only really considering it because it was on the green list (before the double vaxxed thing for amber) and hadn’t looked at any of the Caribbean islands before so thought we’d look into it.
It’s frustrating as we like to travel and do new things so just wanted to escape but have realised now that it’s just not worth the hassle this year so fingers crossed we can go to Japan next year 🤞🏼
Japan sounds amazing ! - I'm sure there are many people on here that can help with that too if you need any information.

But just to stress nobody is on here to judge you and your choices. All we can offer is advice and information. On the whole Dibbers, from my experience, are a really friendly bunch (unlike some travel forums I have experienced) - please don't let it put you off asking or contributing in future - it would be a shame if you felt that way again.
Perhaps the way things are written doesn't always translate well compared with the spoken word sometimes - that's all.

Enjoy your trip planning and be sure to share you thoughts on Japan, because that's certainly somewhere we'd like to consider in future too,

Edited at 02:11 PM.
Old 13 Jul 21, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

the more I read the more I think we would actually enjoy it especially the food side, BA are offering £300 deposit with balance not due until 3 weeks before so I am tempted- the mask requirement outside puts me off though and I worry they will close the border to us again by the time I go if our cases fly up after Mondays "freedom day" (mid-Sept)

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jul 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Thank you 😀I’m getting more excited at the prospect of going to Barbados now you have mentioned all of that. We are not into water sports etc but we tend to go with the flow. I love planning a Disney trip, but like a no planning vibe too.
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
lme30005
Apprentice Imagineer

Does anyone know exactly what the mask rules are outside? It just says public places. I'm considering Barbados but not keen on wearing a mask outside all the time in 30c!
lme30005 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jul 21, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lme30005 View Post
Does anyone know exactly what the mask rules are outside? It just says public places. I'm considering Barbados but not keen on wearing a mask outside all the time in 30c!
another member from here is there now and confirmed you do have to wear masks outside

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
rjhsteel
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by princessnicki View Post
another member from here is there now and confirmed you do have to wear masks outside
What exactly are the rules for covid in Barbados?

And do you still require a test before travelling if its on the green list?
Holiday Inn Resort Orlando Lake Buena Vista 2023
LA Disneyland 2023
rjhsteel is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List