Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jun 21, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Mobile Cost of west coast trip - flights

Hi all - I know costs etc have changes a lot since COVID but just trying to get a general idea of costs of a west coast trip.
There are five of us, but basic costs per person would be good.

Flights - ideally man to sfo and back from lax. Could do London if cheaper.

Thinking a few nights San Francisco and then move to north la, then anaheim.

I can work out hotel costs and tickets etc - just thinking car hire would I need a car for the whole 2 weeks or is it better to not have it for anaheim part?

Thanks all
CP X

The most magical place on earth
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 21, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

A lot of people do leave it back in Anaheim after checking into the hotel. Car hire prices are crazy at the moment but contact andy for a quote as he is getting good quotes for Orlando. Hotels are more expensive on the west coast but flights are a lot cheaper. Depending on the time of year- 300s-400s per person.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 21, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I've just booked a flight for my sil for 1st oct, flying to sfo and returning from San diego. Economy out and premium back with no car £747.
I booked fly/drive last year just over £700 each with upgraded car hire.
I have looked today for same flights and car hire on same day over a £1000 each. I did find flying in and out of Lax cheaper and if your not tied to school holidays you can get some bargains.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 21, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
CADisneymum
Excited about Disney

My most recently booked trip for September is Belfast-LHR-SAN with bags and seat is about £700 economy return. I think BA will change me to Belfast to SANvia LHR and either ORD or PHX. I could also go from Dublin. The summer was about £150 more .

I normally fly back for about £500-£550 per person I have paid as low as £400. . To LAX is normally £360-£400 ish not including bag. The drive to and from LAX Labor Day weekend was a bit too much. I am regular traveller to CA pre-COVID 😢😢

I am not hiring a car this time as it is solo trip. Last time pre-COVID I went back with my husband and kids we got a little car just to have it. BA fly drive wasn’t too expensive but car hire is mental at the moment.

Your intitnerary sounds good but I wouldn’t rent a car in SF and then would fly to LAX ( you don’t need loads of time in LA) and drive to Anaheim. What you mean by north LA? I would go further south to San Diego. There is so much for kids. Legoland, the Safari Park, Zoo, Del Mar Fair (depending on the time of year), Old Town, Balboa Park etc
CADisneymum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Cherrypie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CADisneymum View Post
My most recently booked trip for September is Belfast-LHR-SAN with bags and seat is about £700 economy return. I think BA will change me to Belfast to SANvia LHR and either ORD or PHX. I could also go from Dublin. The summer was about £150 more .

I normally fly back for about £500-£550 per person I have paid as low as £400. . To LAX is normally £360-£400 ish not including bag. The drive to and from LAX Labor Day weekend was a bit too much. I am regular traveller to CA pre-COVID 😢😢

I am not hiring a car this time as it is solo trip. Last time pre-COVID I went back with my husband and kids we got a little car just to have it. BA fly drive wasn’t too expensive but car hire is mental at the moment.

Your intitnerary sounds good but I wouldn’t rent a car in SF and then would fly to LAX ( you don’t need loads of time in LA) and drive to Anaheim. What you mean by north LA? I would go further south to San Diego. There is so much for kids. Legoland, the Safari Park, Zoo, Del Mar Fair (depending on the time of year), Old Town, Balboa Park etc
Thanks I meant universal/ Burbank etc go to universal and studio tour maybe Malibu etc - will look at San Diego thanks
Cherrypie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
CADisneymum
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Cherrypie View Post
Thanks I meant universal/ Burbank etc go to universal and studio tour maybe Malibu etc - will look at San Diego thanks
No worries. It makes sense now. 😊You def don’t need a lot of time in Burbank. 2 -3 days max. Malibu is beautiful. Not loads to do but it is very nice l.
CADisneymum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 21, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
vegboatride
Excited about Disney

Hi we had a West coast trip in February 2020 just before the world went crazy I did a trip report which includes all our costings for flights, car hire, accommodation and tickets. It might give you some idea of prices. Happy planning
vegboatride is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 21, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We did this in 2018 and the trip report (single thread) is in my signature. It was a fantastic vacation, during the school Easter break.

You will not need a car in SFO. The BART (think London Underground simplified) takes you into Union Sq area and from there you can either taxi or cable car down to Fishermen’s, depending on where you are staying.

There is a Avis/Budget car hire centre right next to the Bay Bridge from which you can leave San Francisco via Oakland.. or you can BART to the Airport.

If finishing at Annaheim, you may consider the money saved on car hire and carparking will pay for a Taxi, Uber or Lyft to LA International.

Personally? I would motor on and finish in stunning San Diego.

We did the lot in 14 days and there is no reason why you cannot do likewise.

I ask that you first read the trippie. You will note that due to a mudslide, we were unable to do Big Sur etc on the PCH. You will find detail of this within the pre trippie in my signature, California, Arizona Nevada.. again Single thread.

Any questions on hotels, bookings, prices etc, then you only need ask.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List