Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 29 Nov 19, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile 2021 Decisions, decisions

We are not long back from our 1st WDW vacation and we are trying to decide what to do in 2021 as we want to go back!

We stayed at AKL and loved it (10 days) then moved to RPR for 4 (not so keen). We are considering doing 3 weeks at WDW itself next time but maybe splitting it up with resorts. We would want some time at AKL again so will book that direct, and I am tempted by a few days at booking with DVC at either GF or the Poly. But to make it more affordable I’m tempted to do some days at a moderate too. Maybe CBC for the skyliner.

What would you do? Is it too much faff to stick some DVC days in? Would we have to make two separate room bookings at WDW for the two different “direct” hotels. So you still get ME when booking DVC? So many considerations!

We also were not that enamoured by Universal apart from HP areas. But I do want to do a HHN if not too expensive. Would it make sense having one night at a Universal resort at the end (and then lose the ME)? Or maybe just before the DVC makes more sense. But that’s four hotels in 3 weeks.

Or are we better off not staying at Universal at all and just buying the tickets and ubering from WDW? (We loves the Ubers).

Only reason I’m considering splitting hotels at all is because 3 weeks at AKL is pretty pricy but we’d want the DDP for at least some of the time too...

I thought the decisions would be easier after the first time!

Any thoughts?
writersblock is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

I agree that AKL is just gorgeous!

Things you need to be aware of:

if you are hoping for Free Dining, it's not guaranteed that it will be offered, plus each year, there are more and more restrictions of dates etc it seems. If you are aiming for free dining, you will need to have it at the start of your stay, as otherwise your tickets only start once you check into your free dining hotel (I think I have read here that some people may have been able to change it, but it would be a bit of a faff and not guaranteed).

Secondly, if you split your stay between onsite properties, you can't get free dining in both unless you buy 2 separate tickets (which negates the free ddining discount), as Disney view them as 2 separate stays.

My personal opinion is that if you just want universal for HHn then I wouldn't bother staying onsite, and would just Uber there -the onsite hotels are for early access/express passes.

I'd be tempted to do:

First part of holiday AKL
then DVC at GF/Poly (for DVC prices probably similar to paying "full disney price" at CBC), maybe just for 2 nights, to relax at the end of the holiday.
Old 29 Nov 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Thank you. I wasn’t aware you’d have to buy two separate lots of park tickets for the dining to be applicable. Seems as though one resort (plus the DVC) is therefore the way to go.

Thanks for your help and tips, it’s appreciated.
writersblock is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Just to clarify you are able to have ME with DVC.

Depending on what you really want from your trip you could do AK first and then have 2 different DVCs. Personally I love SSR for the relaxing feel and BLT for ability to walk to MK, GF looks beautiful but never has availability when we try to book (we are DVC owners) and Poly only has studios and we like 1-beds.
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 19, 03:19 AM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

That could be an option. I wish this was easier! Haha.
Old 2 Dec 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post

I wouldn’t want to downgrade my accommodation as the holiday progresses. In December next year we are going to start at a value for one night, then we go to a moderate for the bulk of the holiday and then we will finish off with a couple of nights in a deluxe.

In your case, I presume you want to start at AKL and spend most of your time here (with hopefully free dining) before moving to a deluxe through DVC. I think I wouldn’t bother trying to fit a moderate in as well, to be honest I would shorten the trip, three weeks is a really long time at Disney, I did 18 days in September and was totally over it by the end.

If you only want t do HHN, there doesn’t seem to be much point in staying at a Universal hotel. If you did want to though, I would slot it in between AKL and your DVC booking.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List