Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 24 Oct 19, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marlouwrig View Post
You could well be right. All I know is my head hurts trying to work out all the possible outcomes.
So does mine.

I can't see long term, putting up prices so much, makes sense.

The reason I think they are doing it is there's a demographic who will only want direct.

At the moment, many of this demographic, put off maybe by restrictions on Riviera, are buying older resorts.

The bosses, judged and bonused on how RIV is selling, basically want to give the buy direct demographic only one real choice- RIV.

And if anyone is daft enough to pay over $300 for a contract with 23.5 years left on? Well, we will take your money thanks.

Long term? Not so sure how well it will do as a strategy.
Old 24 Oct 19, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

These seem to have insider info (good sources as they 'broke' the Riv Resale restrictions story). This suggests much smaller increases:

dvcresalemarket/blog...s-coming-soon/
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

They are using it as a sales tool to sell Riveria - look if you buy here it's really expensive and a shorter contract, better buy Riveria?

They probably expect to ROFR very little to satisfy these prices. They just hope once in a sales pitch they will sign up to Riveria as it will look much 'better value'.

I don't really expect this to affect resale that much as I don't see Disney selling sold out resorts at these prices, which is their intention.
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
They are using it as a sales tool to sell Riveria - look if you buy here it's really expensive and a shorter contract, better buy Riveria?

They probably expect to ROFR very little to satisfy these prices. They just hope once in a sales pitch they will sign up to Riveria as it will look much 'better value'.

I don't really expect this to affect resale that much as I don't see Disney selling sold out resorts at these prices, which is their intention.
To me, this shows Riveria sales are soft.
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

So if I sell and they ROFR it then I have still sold? Just to Disney rather than the original buyer?

Not that I’ve sold but I am tempted.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
So if I sell and they ROFR it then I have still sold? Just to Disney rather than the original buyer?

Not that I’ve sold but I am tempted.
Yep!

But I assume they only ROFR if they have a buyer willing to pay the new price. I have a feeling there be less ROFR with this.

I bought at $57 at BWV and current prices are tempting...
Old 24 Oct 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Prices might be tempting for older DVC owners. However, selling costs plus any profit is subject to US tax laws.
Old 24 Oct 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Prices might be tempting for older DVC owners. However, selling costs plus any profit is subject to US tax laws.
8-10% for the broker a few hundred for the Notary, the withholding tax can be claimed back, it's not that hard to do, and if you can't do it yourself you can pay someone about $500 to do it for you.

I love my DVC but it's starting to look tempting what with the cost of tickets food etc all shooting up, Dues jumped last year and we will hear soon what happens to them for next year.
Old 24 Oct 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by gavvy View Post
Yep!

But I assume they only ROFR if they have a buyer willing to pay the new price. I have a feeling there be less ROFR with this.

I bought at $57 at BWV and current prices are tempting...
Yes. We didn’t pay much more than that. I think £8000 all in and we’ve had lots of holidays over the years but I think I’m just about done and ready to see other places.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Mobile

It's interesting how uninformed most people are.

On the DVC Members Cruise we obviously met loads of other members. In all the conversations we had not ONE had a clue about buying extra points via the resale market.

There was a special offer on board, buy Aulani at $196, 450 points, get a discount of $20,000(Riviera was $11,000 for the same deal), bringing the buy-in to $151.

DVCResale has these at around $100 a point.

The lowest points holder we spoke to had 600 points, the most 3300. Most owners we spoke to were thinking about adding on. It was an eye opener for sure.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List